Ladies-How do you stay safe while jogging alone?

Options
I have never been the type of person to be overly cautious while running alone. During the summer months I like to outside and enjoy a nice night run, usually with my head phones on just doing my thing. I do, after all, live in a small town, and bad things don’t happen in small towns….Right? (please note the sarcasm) I have been honked at, whistled at and even yelled at by passing motorists before and it doesn't normaly bother me, I usually just ignore them.

Earlier today however, as I was running, a gentlemen actually pulled his car over in front of me to tell me that I was “looking good, girl” and grinned and watched me pass….This totally freaked me out!! Who does that?? Now, I am starting to rethink this whole “not being overly cautious” thing.

What do you ladies do to protect yourself while running alone? I wish I had a dog, but I don't, and in this particular case I was running on my lunch break. Thanks for your advice in advance!

Replies

• NobodyInParticular
    NobodyInParticular Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Not a lady, obviously. I do know some that like to run though (crazy, right?) and they all carry a small blade with them. Tucked inside their running pants.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Compression shorts with a holster built in.

undertech_compression_short1sm.jpg
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    <

When I don't bring him or one of my other two (somehow my lab just isn't as threatening), I keep aware of my surroundings. I don't play music loud enough so that I can hear anyone coming up behind me, I run on well travelled roads and avoid secluded places, and I have my phone with me. The most important thing to me is to be aware.
    For the creepers, I have a killer "don't mess with me" face
    I am also trained in self defence.

I choose not to carry any type of weapon with me, most are not legal here anyway.
  • squeakyfish
    squeakyfish Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I walk with two dogs (one very large, one very loud), but when I used to have to protect myself on long walks (from packs of large, unpredictable dogs), I would carry a very small canister of pepper spray. Thankfully, it was never needed, but I felt better knowing I had it. The other key is to take the headphones off. People are looking for easy targets. If you have headphones on, it makes you appear less aware of your surroundings (regardless of whether you are or not). Carry a cell phone as well. You may not want to feel like you have to carry a bunch of stuff with you, but if you ever needed it....you'd be happy to have it.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    What a creeper. I am in DC and there are always a ton of people around. I will not run at night. I prefer running on a track so I don't have to worry about cars and I can lose myself in my music. Otherwise, I run with my husband.

Some people have mace, but I never understood that.
  • kimm147
    kimm147 Posts: 29 Member
    Options

I didnt know they came in white, i only have the purple pair!

Make my day and give me a reason!!
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Take the dog along :drinker:
  • charovnitza
    charovnitza Posts: 689
    Options
    Take the dog along :drinker:

She doesn't have a dog.
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I just stay in more populated areas, and I don't run with music, so my hearing's not obstructed. And I'm naturally suspicious of everyone anyway - you're all creepers .....
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    What a creeper. I am in DC and there are always a ton of people around. I will not run at night. I prefer running on a track so I don't have to worry about cars and I can lose myself in my music. Otherwise, I run with my husband.

My opinion - pepper spray or mace is less than ideal for running. It requires you to hit a very specific place (the eyes obviously) in order to be effective and there are a few things that can interfere, wind/rain, etc. It is problematic in many situations as you may not have the chance to be face to face or to have the distance to do it without cross contamination. It also isn't effective on everyone. Plus the whole risk of cross contamination. It happens fairly often when using it. It is going to be a big problem if you incapacitate yourself in the process.

It is not useless, but like any weapon you may use, you need to train and understand how it works. And have a back up plan if it doesn't. A false sense of security is dangerous.
    For me, I would choose other options.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options

My opinion - pepper spray or mace is less than ideal for running. It requires you to hit a very specific place (the eyes obviously) in order to be effective and there are a few things that can interfere, wind/rain, etc. It is problematic in many situations as you may not have the chance to be face to face or to have the distance to do it without cross contamination. It also isn't effective on everyone. Plus the whole risk of cross contamination. It happens fairly often when using it. It is going to be a big problem if you incapacitate yourself in the process.

It is not useless, but like any weapon you may use, you need to train and understand how it works. And have a back up plan if it doesn't. A false sense of security is dangerous.
    For me, I would choose other options.

Exactly. You are more likely to do harm to yourself with pepper spray than you would to anyone else. I never understood why people brought this along.

I am sensing a law enforcement background with the shepard and knowledge of OC spray. Me too.
  • iampanda
    iampanda Posts: 176 Member
    Options

I usually pack pepper spray, but this is a good option as well.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Pepperspray, a pocket knife, and a psycho glare.
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I run in the neighborhood-- by houses. If I need help, someone will hear me. Or I take the dog.
  • jessmart83
    jessmart83 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I change up the time I run, as well as the routes. I also carry a tazer when I run, can never be too safe.
  • mellenorris
    mellenorris Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I bought a RoadID. It's not really protection from any form of attack, but if something happens to you physically (major injury, accident with an ignorant driver/bicyclist), it has all of your important contacts and information on it. Since I try to leave as much crap as possible behind when I go for a run, it's a comfort for me. I'm also planning on wearing it constantly when I'm relocated for my work for three months - I'm going to be on a construction site with a bunch of people who don't know me! Better safe than sorry, I say. For $20ish, not bad.
  • Mylinda618
    Mylinda618 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just don't jog alone. I take one or both of my dogs. No one knows they are big sweet harmless babies.... one is 120 pounds, the other is 140 pounds so they seem to be pretty intimidating.
  • LMHinson15
    LMHinson15 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    If it's not broad daylight, or I'm going where there's fewer people, I carry pepper spray.
  • EmGetsFit
    EmGetsFit Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I live in a large city, but my neighborhood is very safe & well-lit at night. During the day I just keep an eye out for anything/anyone suspicious; at night I run along main roads with streetlights. That way I'd be able to flag someone down if I was in danger.
  • TwinkieDong
    TwinkieDong Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    I am not a lady but the ones I know, either run at an indoor gym, carry a Ruger LCP (gun), or run with someone.