Ladies-How do you stay safe while jogging alone?

Options

Replies

• StheK
    StheK Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    "After Britain’s sweeping handgun ban was imposed in 1997, for instance, tens of thousands of weapons were collected from legal owners in exchange for fair market value, cutting off supplies of stolen handguns that ended up in criminal hands and largely forbidding their sale by gun dealers in Britain. Nevertheless, statistics show that gun violence in Britain increased for the next several years.

But starting in 2005 — and following years of anti-gun sweeps by police forces in British cities that made illegal guns far less accessible — gun violence began to ebb. In 2011, England and Wales recorded 7,024 offenses involving firearms, down 37 percent from their peak in 2005. Given that British crime statistics also count fake guns as “firearms,” criminologists say the number of violent crimes involving real guns is likely significantly lower."

http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2013-02-01/world/36670256_1_gun-crime-gun-violence-bans-on-assault-weapons/2
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how an argument about who has the better laws in their country is relevant.

If you live in a country where concealed carry is legal then I highly recommend doing research before deciding whether or not that is a viable option for you. It's a good option as a last resort if you're stuck in a potentially deadly situation that you can't get out of. Three men try to pull you into their car while you're jogging - will mace really stop all of them? Consider your options.

If you're in a country where it is illegal, it doesn't make you superior in any way and it doesn't mean that people in the US are running around afraid of everybody. I'd be a lot more afraid knowing that only criminals have guns and the law abiding citizens are left unarmed against said criminals, thus giving them the power. Go ahead and take some self defense classes instead though which would be a great option.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how an argument about who has the better laws in their country is relevant.

If you live in a country where concealed carry is legal then I highly recommend doing research before deciding whether or not that is a viable option for you. It's a good option as a last resort if you're stuck in a potentially deadly situation that you can't get out of. Three men try to pull you into their car while you're jogging - will mace really stop all of them? Consider your options.

If you're in a country where it is illegal, it doesn't make you superior in any way and it doesn't mean that people in the US are running around afraid of everybody. I'd be a lot more afraid knowing that only criminals have guns and the law abiding citizens are left unarmed against said criminals, thus giving them the power. Go ahead and take some self defense classes instead though which would be a great option.

We should go shooting together sometime! :wink:
  • jynxxxed
    Options

We should go shooting together sometime! :wink:
    haha just let me know where all the ammo is at! Can't find any where I live :tongue:
  • Penfoldsplace
    Options

Its gone from one potential lone attacker to three and you're not paranoid...what if there's four or five. I am sure you're much braver than me, I can't see myself turning into g i jane if three people attacked me. I would be in shock and they would probably disarm me before i knew what had happened.
  • litatura
    litatura Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Oh my, so glad I live in Australia, all the people running around with weapons would scare me more than the creepy guy in the car.

Yeah that - except I'm in Canada. I'm going to start being more like MacGyver and learn to transform my Lululemon headband and iPhone into a weapon (slingshot perhaps?).
  • iLoveMyAR15
    iLoveMyAR15 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    <<<<<<with this LOL but no really, i carry a Ruger .22 pistol; more for the coyotes than creepy people though
  • jynxxxed
    Options

Its gone from one potential lone attacker to three and you're not paranoid...what if there's four or five. I am sure you're much braver than me, I can't see myself turning into g i jane if three people attacked me. I would be in shock and they would probably disarm me before i knew what had happened.
    So you're paranoid because you lock your doors at night, try to only do things in populated areas and probably have a planned route if a fire broke out then.

Again, you won't be disarmed if you actually train with your weapon and know what you're doing. In the US you're not allowed to buy a gun and immediately begin carrying it. Training is required and you must be taught how to properly shoot/use it. This is why not EVERYBODY should carry. Especially people who are fearful of being disarmed or not using it properly - those are the last people who should be armed.
  • iluvhockey987
    iluvhockey987 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I run on a main road during the day in the place I live. There is also a police station on that same road. I feel pretty safe in the area I live, but after reading this I feel like I should start carrying some sort of protection!
  • Penfoldsplace
    Options

So you're paranoid because you lock your doors at night, try to only do things in populated areas and probably have a planned route if a fire broke out then.

Again, you won't be disarmed if you actually train with your weapon and know what you're doing. In the US you're not allowed to buy a gun and immediately begin carrying it. Training is required and you must be taught how to properly shoot/use it. This is why not EVERYBODY should carry. Especially people who are fearful of being disarmed or not using it properly - those are the last people who should be armed.

To me there is a difference between taking sensible precautions and carrying a dangerous weapon. Even the police don't carry guns here. I don't think is good advice for any one particularly in a city to carry a concealed weapon when they are running. If I lived in the middle of nowhere with dangerous animals maybe I would think otherwise (or buy a treadmill :)).
  • jynxxxed
    Options

To me there is a difference between taking sensible precautions and carrying a dangerous weapon. Even the police don't carry guns here. I don't think is good advice for any one particularly in a city to carry a concealed weapon when they are running. If I lived in the middle of nowhere with dangerous animals maybe I would think otherwise (or buy a treadmill :)).
    Woah, even law enforcement isn't armed? Definitely completely different cultures lol.
    Running with a concealed weapon isn't any different than walking with one, you just may need a different type of holster/carry method. There is no circumstance that it could become dangerous for a responsible gun owner/permit holder to carry. As long as you know what you're doing then you're a lot better prepared than going without.

ETA: You keep calling it a "dangerous weapon". ANYTHING is potentially dangerous in the wrong hands. A gun in the right hands is not dangerous.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    RoadID.com, awesome service and an excellent idea for staying safe.
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,814 Member
    Options
    I run on a treadmill at my moms most the time, but if I go outside either my husband and kids come and we go to a park that has a trail that goes in a big circle and I run one way and him and the kids walk the other way, and I tell them if they hear a loud scream call 911 and come running lol, if they dont come I bring one of my dogs, I have a lab/rot, and a bichon/poodle. the poodle isnt to scary but he sure hurts when he bites
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    I've been called rude on this board for not stopping to give directions when asked. Um, no. I'm not taking chances nor am I the town's tour guide. When my son was 8, we were in a large cemetery, and while I was behind a monument, 2 guys in a car pulled up near my kid & asked him directions to something inaudible. He was just taking a step closer to ask them to repeat, when I stepped right in front of him. I told the guys to never, ever approach a child like that and then I turned to my kid and said, "Your Dad's just over here with his buddies. Let's go." They drove off.

I was haunted by that for years, because my kid's been drilled about not talking to strangers, but there he was about to approach their car to as not to appear rude.

When called, approached or whatever, I do not get *****y, I just wave and keep going. I am not out to help lost people (or those pretending). I am out for exercise.

And because it's now the topic, I don't do guns. I don't like 'em. But I defend anyone's lawful right to carry. It's not always the US citizens that you need to be aware of around here. Sometimes the great melting pot brings in a lot of dangerous people who would otherwise be stoned to death (or whatever) in their "civilized" society. They come here because it's awesome. And it is.

Team USA =D
  • liittlesparrow
    liittlesparrow Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I carry a type of knife with me that fits in my fist, and the blade is kind of in the shape of an arrow and very, VERY sharp. It hooks to the top of my pants or what ever else and I can grab it quickly. Although, my boyfriend wants me to carry a frikkin taser brass knuckles type thing.
  • liittlesparrow
    Options
    I'm surprised at the people who hate on the ones who carry guns/knives or what ever with them. When you're getting raped in a corner of an alley or woods you would probably wish you had a knife or gun with you. Be scared of that, not those who choose to defend themselves.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised at the people who hate on the ones who carry guns/knives or what ever with them. When you're getting raped in a corner of an alley or woods you would probably wish you had a knife or gun with you. Be scared of that, not those who choose to defend themselves.

I don't recall anyone hating those that do but you have to understand the cultural differences. I totally respect the American views on the right to bear arms however the carrying of gun on a regular basis is not something I really "get". Your inclination to want to carry a gun all the time is as odd to me as my desire to not carry a gun is to you.
    I don't believe one is right or wrong. I believe it comes down to personal views and culture. I don't like to be told I should have to carry a gun anymore than others don't like to be told they shouldn't carry one.
  • j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    90+% of self-defense is situational awareness. If you are aware of your surroundings you can take precautionary measures and avoid most threats. However in the event that avoidance is not possible you should have a back up, and a 2nd back up, and a 3rd, and so on. Keep in mind that wearing headphones takes away one of your greatest assets when it comes to situational awareness, your hearing.

For back ups there are LOT"S of choices. You may be limited in your choices by any number of things; time, money, laws (funny how laws are meant to protect US not criminals, but it seldom works out that way). Generally your choices are; learn self-defense, own a large dog, carry a gun, knife, kubaton, taser, pepper spray, tactical flashlight, hand-held alarm, or some other type of self-defense device. Again you may be limited in what you can carry by any number of things. Whatever you decide to do and/or carry, just make sure you get adequate training. There are a number of people out there who think a knife or a similar tool/weapon is a cure all and they don't need training. Then something happens, they freak, and the tool/weapon never gets deployed; or even worse it is used against them.
  • liittlesparrow
    Options

I don't recall anyone hating those that do but you have to understand the cultural differences. I totally respect the American views on the right to bear arms however the carrying of gun on a regular basis is not something I really "get". Your inclination to want to carry a gun all the time is as odd to me as my desire to not carry a gun is to you.
    I don't believe one is right or wrong. I believe it comes down to personal views and culture. I don't like to be told I should have to carry a gun anymore than others don't like to be told they shouldn't carry one.

I don't mean hating on as in people hate one another, I meant it like just giving each other grief over it. I do understand that different people live different lives and are taught very different things especially in different countries but from looking through the last few pages, and reading your reply, you people seem to think we Americans are all walking around locked and loaded all the time. Not the case. I don't think it's odd at all that you don't want to carry a gun because *gasp* there are people like that here too. We are not crazy gun people, there are just some people here who carry guns. Big deal. No one is telling you you have to carry a gun. Just with so many different types of people here in the US and different things going on, sometimes it IS safer to have a gun on you in certain parts of the US. That doesn't make us crazy people who ALL carry guns ALL the time.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

I don't mean hating on as in people hate one another, I meant it like just giving each other grief over it. I do understand that different people live different lives and are taught very different things especially in different countries but from looking through the last few pages, and reading your reply, you people seem to think we Americans are all walking around locked and loaded all the time. Not the case. I don't think it's odd at all that you don't want to carry a gun because *gasp* there are people like that here too. We are not crazy gun people, there are just some people here who carry guns. Big deal. No one is telling you you have to carry a gun. Just with so many different types of people here in the US and different things going on, sometimes it IS safer to have a gun on you in certain parts of the US. That doesn't make us crazy people who ALL carry guns ALL the time.

Which reply? I didn't post anything close to implying that.

And if you read the first or second page one guy did say that all women should carry guns and I responded to him. That was what I was referring to.

ETA - I meant hating in the same way you did. Giving grief.

I am aware that not all Americans choose to carry guns. There have been several in This thread.