Ladies-How do you stay safe while jogging alone?

Options

Replies

• 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    You could always just carry a rape-alarm. Very effective, and VERY loud.

Ineffective when you have to deal with mountain lions, bears, coyotes, raccoons, moose and all manner of wild creatures some of us have to deal with. Granted, they can and do leave you alone, but f they choose to attack - you're not a sitting duck waiting to be their next meal.

ETA: Many are assuming via the slander towards those of us who do carry forms of defense 'weaponry' that we aren't capable of using it. That would be the furthest from the truth. Many American women know how to use weapons and very well too, I might add. EVERY woman should know that your first line of defense is to disable and run. Asking for help won't always GET YOU the HELP you need.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    I have never been the type of person to be overly cautious while running alone. During the summer months I like to outside and enjoy a nice night run, usually with my head phones on just doing my thing. I do, after all, live in a small town, and bad things don’t happen in small towns….Right? (please note the sarcasm) I have been honked at, whistled at and even yelled at by passing motorists before and it doesn't normaly bother me, I usually just ignore them.

Earlier today however, as I was running, a gentlemen actually pulled his car over in front of me to tell me that I was “looking good, girl” and grinned and watched me pass….This totally freaked me out!! Who does that?? Now, I am starting to rethink this whole “not being overly cautious” thing.

What do you ladies do to protect yourself while running alone? I wish I had a dog, but I don't, and in this particular case I was running on my lunch break. Thanks for your advice in advance!

Right now => GPS (plus heart rate monitor attached to my upper arm), a tight and small hydration/snack pack (on my back ~ fits perfectly between my shoulder blades), reflectors, my camping knife and my taser platinum attached to my thigh.

Edited to add: I'm a before sunrise and a late night outdoor runner so I take what I feel should suffice.

^^THIS.
  • deadbeatsummer
    deadbeatsummer Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Since the gun ban in the UK crime with guns has increased at least 35%...no thank you. Ill stick with owning guns.

No.

The United Kingdom has one of the lowest rates of gun homicides in the world. There were 0.07 recorded intentional homicides committed with a firearm per 100,000 inhabitants in 2010, compared to the 3.0 in the United States (over 40 times higher) and 0.21 in Germany (3 times higher). -UN STATISTICS 2011

ALSO:

tumblr_mf2hs85Pvn1qbmkido1_500.png

Edited to add: Apologies if the above statistics weren't exactly correct, here's official United Nations stats if anyone's interested - the numbers in the picture above aren't accurate (nor is 'West Germany' as a country) but the rough amounts are reasonably true..
    http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_mur_wit_fir-crime-murders-with-firearms
  • NanzyBoek
    NanzyBoek Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Is noone stating the obvious? Any weapon you carry, be prepared for it to be used against you.
    Take some self defense class's AND than keep it up or take some more. Its useless if you did it 2years ago and dont remember half of it.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Since the gun ban in the UK crime with guns has increased at least 35%...no thank you. Ill stick with owning guns.

No.

The United Kingdom has one of the lowest rates of gun homicides in the world. There were 0.07 recorded intentional homicides committed with a firearm per 100,000 inhabitants in 2010, compared to the 3.0 in the United States (over 40 times higher) and 0.21 in Germany (3 times higher). -UN STATISTICS 2011

ALSO:

I saw that on Facebook and that poster is grossly inaccurate. I pretty terrible at geography but I don't believe that West Germany exists as a country now.
  • deadbeatsummer
    Options
    I worry about this two, I live in South East London, England and it can be dodgy at night. Also pepperspray and any other weapon is completely illegal here in the UK.

If I were to carry pepper spray/mace and spray it at an attacker it would be a premeditated attack on my behalf for carrying an illegal weapon or firearm.

Really!! Thats so odd! So what do you do

It's not that strange, to be honest I'm finding all the comments about packing a knife or a gun to be completely insane as it is so against our culture in the UK.

What if the attacker turns the weapon around on you?

I haven't had a lot of trouble, I don't make eye contact and just keep running with my headphones in. So whether someone has shouted me or not I wouldn't know.

I wouldn't know what to do if there was someone who directly approached me but I really, really don't think guns and knives are the answer. It's a massive problem and it's scary that you all have such easy access to guns.

Yeah, terrifying that we all have the right to defend ourselves and loved ones from attackers and intruders. How awful for us. :noway: Wild horses couldn't drag me to live in a country that refuses me the right to pack heat.

Sorry, but being sarcastic about it doesn't really help anybody does it? It may be a right to defend yourself, but look at all the attacks that happen on innocent civilians in the USA. It is quite scary that people are talking so openly about just carrying guns and knives. If I were to be carrying a knife around with me, what would stop an attacker to be wandering around freely with one too. And they would probably be in a much better position to use it on me, than I would on them. Furthermore I would then have no defense mechanism. Why was I carrying a knife in the first place? Why would you need one just casually wandering down the street? And what if something happened? Could they not just 'claim' self-defense too even if that was not the case?

I would rather be happy to walk around, knowing that people don't have guns on their person. I completely agree that it is madness that there is such an easy access to guns, when there are so many people in this world who are completely deluded and can cause such chaos and damage. Two wrongs don't make a right at the end of the day.

Thank you, Sophie, completely agree.
  • deadbeatsummer
    Options

No.

ALSO:

I saw that on Facebook and that poster is grossly inaccurate. I pretty terrible at geography but I don't believe that West Germany exists as a country now.

Probably true, yeah but it's the sentiment that I feel is probably right. Sorry - I just find the idea of fighting fire with fire (excuse the pun) crazy.

Edited to add: Apologies if the above statistics weren't exactly correct, here's official United Nations stats if anyone's interested - the numbers in the picture above aren't accurate (nor is 'West Germany) but the rough amounts are rreasonably true..
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Try to run in places where you are not all alone, on abandoned roads, for very long stretches. I really think you should take a self-defense course such as RAD (rape aggression defense), in which you can learn how to most effectively get them in the sensitive spots (eyes for example), so that you can escape and run to safety.

I always have my phone and anytime I am in a "shady area" such as dark and woodsy (and if I feel unsafe for a specific reason), I call my husband and talk to him, while keeping my eye out. That way if something happens, my husband would know (and I tell him where I am). I know how much longer till I get home and I tell him that before hanging up.
  • chip_cookie
    Options

No.

ALSO:

Probably true, yeah but it's the sentiment that I feel is probably right. Sorry - I just find the idea of fighting fire with fire (excuse the pun) crazy.

There's always a chance that the weapon could be used against you. And, I repeat, look at all the terrible issues that have happened in the USA. You just have to look at all the school shootings. Absolutely awful. And agree with Hannah, the photograph portrays the situation entirely, there is no way we have anywhere near the amount of gun crime around here that is had in the US.
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    ALSO:

What I find terribly funny about this picture is that you think it's proving your point. Switzerland literally gives an "assault" rifle to everyone when they turn 18 (they have a standing militia.) They have some of the least strict gun laws in the world. People literally walk around with whatever firearm they fancy.

They also have an outstanding healthcare system and health insurance is compulsory for all citizens, giving those with mental health issues much better access to what they need.

America, however, does not require a person to have insurance, and many people go uninsured. Many are also on state insurance, and some do not cover mental health. On top of that, mental "issues" have a certain stigma to them in this country and many, many people are afraid to admit that there is something wrong for fear of being judged.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I live in a very small rural town and I sill dot let my guard down when I run. If I am going outside to run I tell my husband so he knows that if i am not hime by a certain time to worry. And I take my phone and ID.
  • vickyg1
    vickyg1 Posts: 211 Member
    Options

No.

ALSO:

Edited to add: Apologies if the above statistics weren't exactly correct, here's official United Nations stats if anyone's interested - the numbers in the picture above aren't accurate (nor is 'West Germany' as a country) but the rough amounts are reasonably true..

Wikipedia is not a good place to find your information.
  • deadbeatsummer
    Options
    ALSO:

What I find terribly funny about this picture is that you think it's proving your point. Switzerland literally gives an "assault" rifle to everyone when they turn 18 (they have a standing militia.) They have some of the least strict gun laws in the world. People literally walk around with whatever firearm they fancy.

They also have an outstanding healthcare system and health insurance is compulsory for all citizens, giving those with mental health issues much better access to what they need.

No need to be rude, as I've added above, the figures aren't exact (it's not my own picture), but i've added real UN statistics in the link above. But as a comparison between the US and the UK - their attitudes towards guns and outcomes of gun homicide statistics, it has a point.

And no one is arguing about Switzerland - they have a fantastic set up and an admirable attitude towards many issues such as gender equality and equal rights.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

No.

ALSO:

There's always a chance that the weapon could be used against you. And, I repeat, look at all the terrible issues that have happened in the USA. You just have to look at all the school shootings. Absolutely awful. And agree with Hannah, the photograph portrays the situation entirely, there is no way we have anywhere near the amount of gun crime around here that is had in the US.

I'm not sure if you saw my earlier post but I've already agreed with deadbeat summer. I do not wish to carry a gun while running. I agree that a gun can be used against you. Nor am I saying that gun crime is the same in the UK as in the US. However, that does not change the fact that they numbers are not correct. At all. It is not accurately portraying the situation.
  • deadbeatsummer
    Options

No.

ALSO:

Wikipedia is not a good place to find your information.

The data is sourced from the UN Office of Crime, from their 2011 survey, I found the link through wikipedia. I trust that it's pretty accurate.
  • vickyg1
    vickyg1 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Deadbeat summer didnt mean to be rude. I just hate wikipedia.
  • charman99
    charman99 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I carry my knife with me AT ALL TIMES... no matter what!
  • deadbeatsummer
    Options

No.

ALSO:

I'm not sure if you saw my earlier post but I've already agreed with deadbeat summer. I do not wish to carry a gun while running. I agree that a gun can be used against you. Nor am I saying that gun crime is the same in the UK as in the US. However, that does not change the fact that they numbers are not correct. At all. It is not accurately portraying the situation.

Hey no worries :flowerforyou: I agree with you - But I have added a link to the correct statistics taken by the UN and the correlation between UK and US gun crimes are still similar to the sentiment in the inaccurate poster I have posted

See:
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options

No need to be rude, as I've added above, the figures aren't exact (it's not my own picture), but i've added real UN statistics in the link above. But as a comparison between the US and the UK - their attitudes towards guns and outcomes of gun homicide statistics, it has a point.

And no one is arguing about Switzerland - they have a fantastic set up and an admirable attitude towards many issues such as gender equality and equal rights.

Not intending to be rude, just poking a bit of fun, sorry. I think we agree that gun control is not the issue in the US, it's more the mental health system and the punishments for committing a gun crime.

And no, I cannot argue with you about anything having to do with Switzerland--I'd be there myself if it wasn't such a ***** to obtain citizenship! :laugh: :drinker:
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I worry about this two, I live in South East London, England and it can be dodgy at night. Also pepperspray and any other weapon is completely illegal here in the UK.

If I were to carry pepper spray/mace and spray it at an attacker it would be a premeditated attack on my behalf for carrying an illegal weapon or firearm.

But if weapons are completely illegal where you live, then you should have absolutely nothing to worry about....

...right?

( :wink: )