thought on coconut oil...

Options

Replies

• judydelo1
    judydelo1 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Emissions of volatile organic compounds, including aldehydes, formed during heating of cooking oils:
    coconut, safflower, canola, and extra virgin olive oils were studied at different temperatures: 180, 210,
    240, and 240C after 6 h. Fumes were collected in Tedlarbags and later analysed by GC–MS. The emis-
    sions of volatiles were constant with time and increased with the oil temperature. When the temperature
    of the oil was above its smoke point, the emission of volatiles drastically increased, implying that oils
    with low smoke point, such as coconut, are not useful for deep-frying operations.
    Canola was the oil gen-
    erating the lowest amount of potentially toxic volatile chemicals. Acrolein formation was found even at
    low temperatures, indicating that home cooking has to be considered as an indoor pollution problemp

http://missclasses.com/mp3s/Prize CD 2010/Oils/oil cooking air pollution.pdf

Who the **** is talking about deep frying in coconut oil? And who's talking about air pollution?

Additionally, please show me how virgin olive oil is involved in all this. Because just like olive oil, coconut is better in virgin and extra virgin varieties. Thus far you've drawn bad conclusions about regular coconut oil. You aint doing so hot.

Read the full text there chuckles.

Coconut oil has a lower smoke point than olive oil (as I posted much earlier)

The "toxic chemicals" that you claim are released from olive oil are present in ALL cooking oils (coconut oil included). The lower the smoke point, the more readily they are released when cooking.

So by your own metric, coconut oil is inferior.

The newer studies that my doctor is concerned about show that olive oil when heated turns into an unhealthy substance and it doesn't have to do with the smoke point. The act of heating the oil changes it for the worse even if it doesn't smoke. Whereas coconut oil, especially Refined coconut oil doesn't become damaged unless heated to the smoking point.
  • NaBroski
    NaBroski Posts: 206
    Options
    Emissions of volatile organic compounds, including aldehydes, formed during heating of cooking oils:
    coconut, safflower, canola, and extra virgin olive oils were studied at different temperatures: 180, 210,
    240, and 240C after 6 h. Fumes were collected in Tedlarbags and later analysed by GC–MS. The emis-
    sions of volatiles were constant with time and increased with the oil temperature. When the temperature
    of the oil was above its smoke point, the emission of volatiles drastically increased, implying that oils
    with low smoke point, such as coconut, are not useful for deep-frying operations.
    Canola was the oil gen-
    erating the lowest amount of potentially toxic volatile chemicals. Acrolein formation was found even at
    low temperatures, indicating that home cooking has to be considered as an indoor pollution problemp

Who the **** is talking about deep frying in coconut oil? And who's talking about air pollution?

Additionally, please show me how virgin olive oil is involved in all this. Because just like olive oil, coconut is better in virgin and extra virgin varieties. Thus far you've drawn bad conclusions about regular coconut oil. You aint doing so hot.

The "toxic chemicals" that you claim are released from olive oil are present in ALL cooking oils (coconut oil included). The lower the smoke point, the more readily they are released when cooking.

The newer studies that my doctor is concerned about show that olive oil when heated turns into an unhealthy substance and it doesn't have to do with the smoke point. The act of heating the oil changes it for the worse even if it doesn't smoke. Whereas coconut oil, especially Refined coconut oil doesn't become damaged unless heated to the smoking point.

Please reference these "newer studies".

Otherwise it's nothing but hearsay.

And what is this elusive "substance" that you're referring to? Does it turn your chakras an undesirable color?
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options

i wouldnt use either with high heat.. thats not what theyre for... coconut oil does get damaged.. the ~only source claiming otherwise is www.coconut-connections.com

ETA: those arent new studies

ETA: I should note [for stupid people] that baking with an oil at temperatures above its smoke point is NOT at all the same as pan frying (or sauteeing or stirfrying or whatever the hell t is your pea brain decided was a good idea) with it (the latter being the bad one)
  • judydelo1
    Options

i wouldnt use either with high heat.. thats not what theyre for... coconut oil does get damaged.. the ~only source claiming otherwise is www.coconut-connections.com

ETA: those arent new studies

Yes I agree that neither is for high heat. Personally I don't cook with any oil at high heat. I'll have to ask my doc for sources regarding this newer thinking that olive oil is not a good oil to cook with at all. And it isn't like he thinks canola, soy, safflower, corn, etc are any better. The truth is, humans probably shouldn't be eating cooked oils period. Coconut oil right now looks like a safe choice to cook with, but who knows, maybe even cooking with coconut oil will prove to be a bad idea years down the road.
  • MiamiKid305
    MiamiKid305 Posts: 357
    Options
    **** coconut oil, use oil from bacon FTW RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!!!!!!!
  • judydelo1
    Options
    Canola was the oil gen-

Please reference these "newer studies".

Otherwise it's nothing but hearsay.

And what is this elusive "substance" that you're referring to? Does it turn your chakras an undesirable color?

No reason to start mocking now is there?
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options

lol.. i was thinking the same thing.... im gonna sautee some veg in bacon grease tomorrow
  • badtastebetty
    badtastebetty Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Has anyone tried cooking with Avocado oil? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avocado_oil
  • angelamcmillan2008
    Options
    ok my story for you and you decide if it is worth a try.i weighted 298.7 when i went to doc.!st visit.
    i had been having like spit up acid reflux something.so i decided to drink some baking soda and water like my uncle did for it.bless his soul.he was skinny as a rail.i did 3 days in a row.refux went away i stopped.ate like my normal snacking self,but decided to have a salad late at night to atleast cut back on the night time snacking.a week past started getting refux again so i did the baking soda and water for 5 days.with my dinner meal.1 teaspoon in glass water.reflux gone.so i stopped.went to weight doc. again i was down 10lbs. the nurse said what did you do.i said i dont know i started eating a salad late at night instead of junk food.she said that wouldnt have been enough you had to be doing something else.
    with that said every bad food we eat is acidic,the protein we eat is acidic.if your going for weight loss surgery,you jump from acidic foods to a liquid diet where your body tries to get back to its normal PH levels,then straight to protein(acidic)and have a stall.so i am trying the baking soda again as i write this,cause i feel my body is acidic again.i'm stll losing just way slower 2 lbs in a month.they have alkaline water if anyone wants to give it a try,it may take awhile to get the acidics down in your body.you can order ph strips on line.i dont use them i just feel like i can feel the sluggishness i get.hope this helps everyone.i feel it is worth a try.oh my uncle ate medium meals,but late at nighthe would eat a whole tub of ice cream.he weighed 98 pounds when he died,from heart problem he has had a long time.he was never fat.but he drank that baking soda and water every day.
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    What I want to know is who is roasting their veggies in oil at 350 deegrees for 48 hours?

ALL organic material would turn into hydrocarbons and aldehydes, and release some lactones and methylketones under those conditions, including the potatoes you were attempting to cook.

o_O
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    Unrefined coconut oil has a smoke point of 350 degrees
    Refined coconut oil has a smoke point of 450 degrees

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smoke_point

In my opinion, deep frying is never a healthy way to cook. I prefer to gently saute or pan fry vs deep fry.

From the same source:

Olive oil Extra virgin 375°F 191°C
    Olive oil Virgin 391°F 199°C[7]
    Olive oil Pomace 460°F 238°C[1]
    Olive oil Extra light 468°F 242°C[1]
    Olive oil, high quality (low acidity) Extra virgin 405°F 207°C

I just want to make sure you realize that you hurt your argument here... refined coconut oil has a higher smoke point than all extra virgin olive oils, which are what most folks use, and what we were talking about.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

lol.. i was thinking the same thing.... im gonna sautee some veg in bacon grease tomorrow

Uh oh... something we agree on. I use bacon grease for MOST of my sauteeing these days. Coconut oil, however, is your next best bet, and for vegetarians, it should be the go-to.
  • NaBroski
    Options

In my opinion, deep frying is never a healthy way to cook. I prefer to gently saute or pan fry vs deep fry.

From the same source:

I just want to make sure you realize that you hurt your argument here... refined coconut oil has a higher smoke point than all extra virgin olive oils, which are what most folks use, and what we were talking about.

Nice try. But let's compare apples to apples.

When comparing the Virgin oils, Olive Oil has the higher smoke point.

When comparing the refined oils, Olive oil has the higher smoke point.

I like how you move the goalposts though
    but yeah, instead of cooking with olive oil or other oils, I use coconut because it doesn't get denatured at high temps like EVOO does. also it's delicious. I do one or two Tbsp daily.

oh! it's important that your coconut is virgin coconut oil as it's less refined has has more medium chain triglycerides
  • jodigirl03
    jodigirl03 Posts: 111
    Options
    I understood it to be just a better choice when choosing between vegetable oil, canola oil, olive oil etc. I use it every morning to fry sn egg white. It's still an oil, you just have to think heart health. Like flaxseed oil, olive oil etc.

I know it shows up in my blood work. The last time I had my cholesterol checked I was freaking because my number had gone up by 20 points, still in the low 100's though and my Dr. explained that my TOTAL number was higher because my LDL, (good cholesterol), had increased.

I never heard anything about it speeding up metabolism. Just the heart health benefits.

Ps- I also use coconut milk in my smoothies and drink coconut water, all in moderation. Rarely will I do all three in one day.. It's supposed to also be good for your skin and hair.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

From the same source:

but yeah, instead of cooking with olive oil or other oils, I use coconut because it doesn't get denatured at high temps like EVOO does. also it's delicious. I do one or two Tbsp daily.

oh! it's important that your coconut is virgin coconut oil as it's less refined has has more medium chain triglycerides

do you know what EVOO stands for sir? lol!

apples to apples? EVOO to EVCO - Coconut oil has the higher burn point.

....... now what?
  • LifeWithPie
    LifeWithPie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    ok my story for you and you decide if it is worth a try.i weighted 298.7 when i went to doc.!st visit.
    i had been having like spit up acid reflux something.so i decided to drink some baking soda and water like my uncle did for it.bless his soul.he was skinny as a rail.i did 3 days in a row.refux went away i stopped.ate like my normal snacking self,but decided to have a salad late at night to atleast cut back on the night time snacking.a week past started getting refux again so i did the baking soda and water for 5 days.with my dinner meal.1 teaspoon in glass water.reflux gone.so i stopped.went to weight doc. again i was down 10lbs. the nurse said what did you do.i said i dont know i started eating a salad late at night instead of junk food.she said that wouldnt have been enough you had to be doing something else.
    with that said every bad food we eat is acidic,the protein we eat is acidic.if your going for weight loss surgery,you jump from acidic foods to a liquid diet where your body tries to get back to its normal PH levels,then straight to protein(acidic)and have a stall.so i am trying the baking soda again as i write this,cause i feel my body is acidic again.i'm stll losing just way slower 2 lbs in a month.they have alkaline water if anyone wants to give it a try,it may take awhile to get the acidics down in your body.you can order ph strips on line.i dont use them i just feel like i can feel the sluggishness i get.hope this helps everyone.i feel it is worth a try.oh my uncle ate medium meals,but late at nighthe would eat a whole tub of ice cream.he weighed 98 pounds when he died,from heart problem he has had a long time.he was never fat.but he drank that baking soda and water every day.

um...what???
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    It's healthier but it won't make you lose weight alone.

Healthier than what?
  • NaBroski
    Options

From the same source:

....... now what?

Can you read?

Coconut oil Extra Virgin (Unrefined) 350°F[8] 177°C

You realize that 375 > 350 , right?
  • CoachReddy
    Options

From the same source:

....... now what?

Can you read?

jesus dude! i said REFINED COCONUT OIL

you're amazing. back on ignore.
  • NaBroski
    Options

From the same source:

....... now what?

Can you read?

jesus dude! i said REFINED COCONUT OIL

you're amazing. back on ignore.

Wow, just wow.

You're trying to compare refined coconut oil to EVOO. Sorry Charlie, apples to oranges.