thought on coconut oil...

Options
1235»

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I understood it to be just a better choice when choosing between vegetable oil, canola oil, olive oil etc. I use it every morning to fry sn egg white. It's still an oil, you just have to think heart health. Like flaxseed oil, olive oil etc.

I know it shows up in my blood work. The last time I had my cholesterol checked I was freaking because my number had gone up by 20 points, still in the low 100's though and my Dr. explained that my TOTAL number was higher because my LDL, (good cholesterol), had increased.

Hopefully you just misunderstood your doctor. If not, you need to look for a new one. LDL (low density lipoprotein) is typically referred to as the "bad" cholesterol because it is linked to increased risk of atherosclerosis. HDL (high density lipoprotein) is referred to as "good" cholesterol because it reduces the risk of atherosclerosis.

Total cholesterol is (LDL + triglycerides) - HDL. So having a higher "good" cholesterol (HDL) lowers your total cholesterol, it does not raise it. If your total cholesterol is high, you should be concerned and try to reduce it.

There is no evidence that coconut oil is better for heart health than extra virgin olive oil.
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Many will come and skewer me after I say this BUT.... use it in moderation. While saturated fat is needed it , like anything else, should be used in moderation. It will make your bad cholesterol skyrocket if you use it excessively. However it will lower your triglycerides. I think a tablespoon a day is plenty.
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Many will come and skewer me after I say this BUT.... use it in moderation. While saturated fat is needed it , like anything else, should be used in moderation. It will make your bad cholesterol skyrocket if you use it excessively. However it will lower your triglycerides. I think a tablespoon a day is plenty.

The saturated fats in coconut oil are medium-chain triglycerides and are different from the saturated fats from animal sources.

I have no idea what that means as far as raising cholesterol or anything.
  • BrennLinn
    BrennLinn Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I LOVE coconut oil. I use it in food (only in very small amounts) , as hair conditioner, and I just made some lotion bars with it yesterday! I can't live without it!!
  • Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    Nobody has put a very important piece of info in this thread: If you are going to start using coconut oil, do it in moderation. If you suddenly start having a quarter cup of coconut oil every day, it'll mess with your system something fierce,
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Nobody has put a very important piece of info in this thread: If you are going to start using coconut oil, do it in moderation. If you suddenly start having a quarter cup of coconut oil every day, it'll mess with your system something fierce,

Yeah, I tried that. But no one believes me. Moderation is frowned upon for some reason.
  • Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I tried that. But no one believes me. Moderation is frowned upon for some reason.

Sometimes moderation is our friend. Sometimes. :laugh: