Tattoos in the work place.

Options
123457»

Replies

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I work in the action sports industry...

if you don't have a tattoo - you pretty much don't really belong :)

Is there such a thing as a non action sport? :huh:

golf?

Not a sport I play but I think you are supposed to swing the club.

226d744db657d20b319cb7ec3294cad5_0.jpeg.crop_display.jpg

1000x500px-LL-c28b345c_gleason_not_sure_if_serious.jpeg
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I don't see what the big deal is... everybody has tats now a days, they're an expression of personality..
    Many more than ever before, but still not a majority, even among 18-34 year olds.

I think they're fine but being an old guy myself, I think I understand better than a younger person that you might change as you get older, even though you may be convinced you won't. Tattoo studios now get a significant portion of their revenue from tattoo removal.

Headline: Nearly One-Third Of People With Tattoos Regret Getting One: Study

"Nearly a third of people with tattoos regret getting one, according to a small new survey out of the United Kingdom.

The survey findings, presented at the annual meeting of the British Association of Dermatologists, showed that men were more likely to have tattoo regret than women.

Tattoo regret was also three times more likely among men if they got their tattoo before reaching age 16, according to the survey. Meanwhile, the demographic least likely to regret a tattoo was women who got their tattoo after age 21."

Source link: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/12/tattoo-regret_n_1654959.html
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    no offense, but you have been a receptionist for 12 years and you don't think your ink may be holding you back?

No-Offense-610x406.png
    Eh....:smile:
  • _the_feniks_
    _the_feniks_ Posts: 3,443 Member
    Options
    Tattoos are not to be visible at my workplace. However, I often roll up my sleeves or wear my shirt with the tie loosened and the the top button undone. Nobody has ever said anything, including the President of the company as I washed my hands next to him in the bathroom. So my guess is it's a policy to police people they don't like because it is not enforced on a regular basis.
  • RingSize8
    RingSize8 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I've taught every grade, and have never had a problem stem from my ink - not even in kindergarten. I would like to think that parents and/or admin are more concerned with whether or not I can do my job, as opposed to if I have something written on my arm. I dunno, maybe that's just me. That being said, I wouldn't want to work for someone who took issue with my tattoos, as it probably indicates we wouldn't get along. Not because I'm against people having their own feelings or opinions about tattoos, but quite the opposite, because I feel like people should be able to do/believe what they want. It's not my business if you don't like tattoos, just like it's not your business if I have any. I'm an old school conservative, I think people should stay out of other peoples business. So, until my tattoos start affecting my ability to teach, no one should have a word to say to me about them. Just one opinion.
  • AuddAlise
    AuddAlise Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    My workplace (hospital) requires tattoos and any piercings except ears to be covered. I think it is fairly ridiculous to see bandaids covering piercings, it makes them more noticable. My tattoos are not visible unless I'm topless, and I usually wear a shirt to work, so I'm good.

LOL, me too! Mine is one huge one that cover (right now) 80% of my back. Once its done it will probably cover 90% of my back. My artist is having to re-draw a part that was to be towards the top of my back so that it doesn't show above my scrubs.
  • avababy05
    avababy05 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    Where I work,no tattoos,facial jewelry or pastel or neon colored hair.
  • TattednPierced
    Options
    "I'd say sticking large metal objects into your head doesn't exactly scream common sense.

Most companies want workers that represent the company in a clean professional manner, not people who self mutilate for attention."

Now see, this is what I'm talking about. "For attention". That silly little conclusion you pulled out of your *kitten*.
    The difference between doing it for attention, and what I do it for is simply the fact that I like the way it looks.
    I could care less if someone doesn't like it, or someone is all over me because of it.
    As I've said in this post, I can look professional.
    The misinterpretation some people are getting from this post is no less than expected.
    I will conform if need be. If I'm working for them and they ask me to, I will cover up my modifications, take them out, blah blah blah, song and dance.
    However, that does not mean I have to like it and if I feel the need to rant about it, ***** about it and complain? So be it.
    Hell, even though tattoos are allowed at my work, I still wear a long sleeved shirt 95% of the time and I only wear my pinchers. Not because I have to, because I want to. The point of this thread is tattoo discrimination. Pay attention.
  • embersfallen
    embersfallen Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I work in a Surgeon's office as a receptionist...have for about 12 years....during this time I got my nose pierced, and all 5 ( soon to be 6) of my tattoo's..... 3 of my tattoos are visible....two on the underside of my wrists, one on my upper back below the neck if my hair is up.... I also have Manic Panic vampire red streaks in my hair, and at one point, had dark purple. One of our triage nurses in her 50's loved the purple so much she added a nice streak to her silver. She meets with patients and the surgeons on a daily basis face to face.

It is a professional workplace and the bottom line has always been, as long as we conduct ourselves in a professional manner, don't come in dressed like a bum... no one cares! I am very thankful for this. Another medical facility I applied for a job for was very different and I am grateful I didn't get that job. My job is a means of making a living, but I can still be myself. Places that restrict people from being who they are are rediculous in my opinion. Creative expression should not be put down simply because we have to be in our workplace for 40 hours or so of our life every week.

I have also seen Doctors and nurses in my facility with tattoos and piercings. They are always tasteful and the providers look professional. True, there may be a percentage of patients that are taken aback by this, but in this day and age there are also many more who are put more at ease with providers and staff they feel they can connect with.

:bigsmile:

no offense, but you have been a receptionist for 12 years and you don't think your ink may be holding you back?

edit- also, i'm not at work to "Express myself", I'm at work to make a living, pay my mortgage and support my child. Better job = Better Income
    While I agree money isnt everything, would you go to work if you weren't being paid to be there? No? So yeah, money is the motivation behind working for most. Not to "express yourself" while doing admin work.

Seriously? You are insulting me because I have been a receptionist for 12 years? Might it have occured to you that in the city I work in I get pretty good money, better then most other office jobs in my area, ( including people in the same medical facility who have had had to shell out their hard earned money for a certificate or degree), I have certain freedoms I enjoy here, and have held stable employment for many years. I am planning on going to school for Massage Therapy because I want to, however your insinuation that my ink and self expression have held me back is completely narrowminded and ridiculous. I also get quite a bit of vacation since I have been here for so long, and do not need to work nights and weekends. I have no desire to climb the corporate ladder.

It's not being here to express myself for your information. It's not conforming the rest of my LIFE for a paycheck. While I admire you for paying your mortgage and supporting your child, many MANY people in my type of work do the same. We are not minions, we are the ones who have to deal with a lot of obnoxious callers, are the *gatekeepers* to keep un-needed calls from the rest of the staff and do a thousand other activites that help a medical practice thrive. Insinuating that someone in my type of position is a bottom feeder is quite insulting.

Even the mighty Whitehouse has cleaning staff, receptionists etc. Your assumptions are quite demeaning and rude. Expressing your opinion on tatts etc is perfectly fine. Assuming you know someone's life story and being catty is completely another issue.
  • embersfallen
    embersfallen Posts: 534 Member
    Options

No-Offense-610x406.png

yep.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Any time someone begins a sentence with "No offense", an insult immediately follows. It's a rule.
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/No-offence-but-Im-about-to-offend-you/180933684613
  • Kohadre
    Kohadre Posts: 316
    Options
    I work in IT, so we are allowed to have them open and visible as long as they aren't of an offensive nature. I however keep mine covered, as I get tired of the constant "Omg you have tattoos, what do they mean?" conversation.