If you could give one piece of advice, what would it be?

Options

Replies

• porky44
    porky44 Posts: 34
    Options
    suck it up so you wont have to keep sucking it in!!!
  • sateliteofluv
    sateliteofluv Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Starting is often the hardest bit. If you don't give up you never have to start over again

This!
  • domgirl85
    domgirl85 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Learn how to love yourself no matter what :)
  • addiepray80
    addiepray80 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Drink lots of water! IMO it's the best thing you can do for your body!
  • wendybird5
    wendybird5 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    My advice: Chill the f* out!

People get so uptight and upset if they don't lose the exact amount of weight they wanted when and where they want it. They want to be uber precise about how many calories they are really eating or stressing that MFP or the treadmill or their HRM or whatever isn't accurately calculate their own personal calorie burn. They freak if they don't see instantaneous changes in their body within a week of making some change.

Just take a deep breathe and calm down. Did you give your plan a month at least? If you didn't see a change on the scale, did you see it in how your clothes fit, a loss of inches, an improvement in your strength and endurance? Are you keeping track of what you eat, making healthier choices and eating at a more realistic calorie level?

This is not a sprint. This is not a marathon. This is a cross country trip on foot and it's going to take a while so why add all the unnecessary stress? You'll get there. Just be patient and chill!
  • harribeau2012
    harribeau2012 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Never believe you cannot do something, your body is willing to do so much more than your mind is

I love that Post ^^ I would just have to say know that you can do anything! yes its hard yes it is a Journy but you can do it :)

This is not really serendipidy because I came looking for help - but it feels like it. I sat down in tears (just a bit) because I have just been pathetic and it's hard to acknowledge to yourself when that happens, I have reached that point of stupid self destruction after a period of good weight loss. So thankyou for posting this. I CAN, therefore I will. xx
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    If you say "OMG I want to look like that" get off your computer and go run or lift something heavy
  • k3rbear1013
    Options
    Starting is often the hardest bit. If you don't give up you never have to start over again

I love this!
  • muktyfitness
    muktyfitness Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    For those of you who have a success story: If you could give one piece of advice to folks starting their journey, what would it be?

3 tips:

1. Consume less than your TDEE and you will lose weight
    2. Lift weight during your weight loss to protect as much muscle as you can
    3. IIFYM
    dumb question but what IIFYM mean?
  • k3rbear1013
    Options

This rocks :laugh:
  • EAPTX
    EAPTX Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    There's no such thing as motivation, only determination. Determine what you will do, then do it!

^^This. I so agree - motivation is overrated. I'm rarely motivated, but now I'm committed to plodding away at it, no matter how long it takes. My body doesn't know I'm not motivated!
  • abunch36
    abunch36 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I heard that wehn you starve yourself your body goes in starvation mode and it wants to store as much as it can. I'll remember this for sure.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Don't compare yourself with others...everyone is different, different values, lifestyles--everyone is on their own unique lifestyle change and what works for some may or may not work for you. More than half of this battle of the bulge is a mental one!

You can't out exercise a poor diet/you can't outrun your fork...
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Life is not a race, we all know what happens at the finish line. Eat well and exercise often to make the most out of everything between here and the finish line.
  • bloomlately
    bloomlately Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    It's not the end of the world if you have a bad day. Just pick yourself up and resume your journey the next day.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    If you could give one piece of advice, what would it be?

NEVER cut in front of me in line, anywhere. Ever.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options

This rocks :laugh:

Fave. I want this printed backwards on a too tight t-shirt that way I can see it the right way in the mirror, probably as PJ's so I can "sleep on it".
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    For those of you who have a success story: If you could give one piece of advice to folks starting their journey, what would it be?

3 tips:

1. Consume less than your TDEE and you will lose weight
    2. Lift weight during your weight loss to protect as much muscle as you can
    3. IIFYM
    dumb question but what IIFYM mean?

If It Fits Your Macro's-loosely translated.... " Eat whatever the heck you want as long as you meet your cal goals and goals for protein, carbs, fat or whatever else YOU have decided to track."

Also loosely translateable to "everyone else mind your own damn business"
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    It's not the end of the world if you have a bad day. Just pick yourself up and resume your journey the next day.

and watch it continue to suck. well at least for me for today that's how it's been going. woke up in a sweaty cry just to watch my day spiral ruthlessly out of control from there. feels like I'm trying to hold a tornado in my hands while it whirling and twirling. well from dorothy to scarlett cause i'm hanging on to the fact that tomorrows another day.
  • andrederosier
    andrederosier Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I have taken a slow approach to weight lose. For many going the fast route you will hit plateaus. Many will get frustrated during this phase. I stick with a 3-4 lb weight range to stay within. I set a goal and train for it and lose some. After I maintain and think about a new goal. Just had a 6 week contest at gym for Final 4 and was nice. I was bouncing in 203-207 range but now in 200-203 range. Pretty soon will be under 200. Best thing is I don't get frustrated by weight fluctuations and I get a lot of practice maintaining.

In last 3 years I have lost 28 lbs. and I can't remember shifting my weight range up at all.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!