Diet sodas are not bad after all!!!

Options

Replies

• thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    You can find a study to support almost any view, good or bad.

Just because one study says someting is ok doesn't mean it is.... and for the record, I am not against diet pop at all.
  • sammyantics
    sammyantics Posts: 191 Member
    Options

Just because one study says someting is ok doesn't mean it is.... and for the record, I am not against diet pop at all.

That is so unbelievably true. I'm a marketing writer, and I read health studies all day, every day. Coffee is a big one that gets defended and attacked constantly.

I LOVE Diet Coke, but the key to anything is moderation, right?

The study even says, "But they don’t prove pounding back diet drinks is harmless." So, don't go overboard in celebration.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Who said they were? How dare someone make a statement like that against Diet Dr. Pepper (TM).
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Diet Coke is pretty good with rum or bourbon. I've never tried it with both.
  • MyNameIsRita
    Options
    The thing with diet coke is: If I'm craving something, I would rather drink one (zero calories) and take my time drinking it, instead of going crazy in the kitchen and binging!! so at the end of the day I would say that drinking diet sodas is better than snacking... but if you can snack without going over your daily calorie needs, thats great. I wish I could do it but once I start eating... oh my days.
  • LvlyLars
    LvlyLars Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I don't know which side is true; I've probably read more articles against diet soda than for. Either way, I know how I was affected by it. I gave up soda last year on January 1...to see if I could drink more water and stop drinking diet coke (it was give or take for me; some days I would have one diet coke and other days I'd have 3 or 4 and then I'd have mixed drinks with them :) ). However, when I gave it up, I had no idea how addicted to it I was! It took months for me to get over the cravings; my body was seriously addicted to it and I know I don't want something in my body that makes me feel that way. I gave up cheese this year to see if I could do it because my big weakness foods are pizza and mac n cheese so I'm getting rid of the common factor to cut down on the crap. I probably won't go longer than a year without it. But I know I'll never go back to the diet coke again after the realization of how my body reacted to giving it up.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    2i269u9.jpg
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    Just because it doesn't relate to "spikes in hunger" doesn't necessarily mean it's not bad for you.
  • littlebutnice
    littlebutnice Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    yay i love diet drinks!
  • Sunny_fit4life
    Sunny_fit4life Posts: 157 Member
    Options

Truth.

Also, I feel undeniably better not drinking it. That's study enough for me.
  • Cre8veLifeR
    Cre8veLifeR Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    Diet Coke is pretty good with rum or bourbon. I've never tried it with both.

LOL! Have you tried vanilla diet coke with rum? Yummy!
  • col443
    col443 Posts: 17
    Options
    This is why I just stopped reading studies and the latest information. Most of these people don't really know what is good and what is bad. Butter is a great example of that. It is good, no it is bad, wait now it is good again. I will drink my daily can of diet pepsi and enjoy it. Everything in moderation.
  • baptiste565
    baptiste565 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    there is nothing wrong with artificial sweeteners. its been proven over and over, but some people refuse 2 believe. but some people do have problems with allergies with it
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options

When I started losing weight, i stopped drinking Coke Zero. Looking back, there was no particular reason. Best I can figure out, it was a form of penance (a friend once looked at what I was eating and said that I was more devoted than a monk so maybe there was something to the pennance idea…).

Insofar as soda being "bad" for you… Ugh.

Any substance that's consumed by billions of people every day is going to have a negative impact on a non-zero percentage of those people. In contrast, the idea that "soda is bad for you" is a race to the bottom because you end up defining what "bad" is.

As best I can tell, in "normal" amounts, diet soda has no negative impact on most people. What we can do is look at studies and case histories and, since soda is being consumed by billions of people, every day, for decades on end with no measurable negative impact, it's a heck of a stretch to say that soda is "bad" for you.
  • suv_hater
    suv_hater Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Why is diet soda being discussed on a food and nutrition forum? It is neither and shouldn't belong here.

I'm glad you found an article to justify your addiction to diet soda. Enjoy.
  • Rose_bee
    Rose_bee Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    What I find most important in this single (unnamed/unreferenced) study is that the people who switched to drinking water ended up eating more fruits & vegetables.
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Yes they are.
  • SlimSumday
    SlimSumday Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    If I couldn't have my Diet Coke I don't think I would get through the evening. I finish eating at 8 p.m. and count on the sweet wonderful taste of Diet Coke to satisfy me until bedtime. :drinker:
  • darwinwoodka
    darwinwoodka Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Somethings gotta kill ya. I'm entitled to one vice.