Hypothyroidism

Options
124»

Replies

• HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Report from the far distant future of old folks taking levothyroxin for years. Mom's 89, I'm 62. Each of us had half our thyroid "encyst" when we were around 40 and had that half taken out. Both of our little half-thyroids chugged along until our mid 50s doing the whole job. Both of us have had to take synthroid/levothyroxin ever since our mid-50s. You read right, for mom that's 40-some years and still chugging along. Both of us have always done fine on the generic. Both of us eat gluten. I've always been overweight but she's always been normal weight.

I get regular blood tests including thyroid levels and every once in a blue moon, my physician raises my dose a little but otherwise I just pop that daily pill and go on about my business. Same with mom.

So, get yourself a "pill-tainer" to remind you to take that little pill every day and enjoy your life.
  • itstime0214
    itstime0214 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Happy to find this thread. I'm 33 and was diagnosed wtih Hypo 4 years ago and put on meds. I gained 20 lbs very fast and have not been able to take it off. I am on levothyroxine (I amy ask about Armour), leothyronine, progesterone and testosterone. I have blood work doen ever 3-4 months. My levels are getting better, but I can't see to loose weight. I hope MFP will help. I just don't know if the calorie levels are correct. I weigh 275, so that allows me a lot of calories a day. I am also doing cardio 4x a week for 40 minutes. Since the meds, I am much less "crazy" and that is why I stay on them, but I would love to drop some excess weight!
  • ceciclem
    ceciclem Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Can I ask (for anyone) what was the instigating factor in getting your thyroid checked? I've been debating it for a while but for some reason I feel embarrassed calling the dr and asking to have it done. The last time I tried, my GP told me to "stop trying to lose weight" because I wasn't obese, at which point I started crying and he tried to put me on anti-depressants.

VERY low energy levels. I originally thought it was linked to depression but lo and behold, a thyroid check showed I was hypo. I've been on Synthroid about 6 months and it's made a HUGE difference. It's an easy check. Well worth the time if you even suspect there may be an issue.

HTH & GL!
  • Keiras_Mom
    Keiras_Mom Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed as hypothyroid about 2 years ago... I started on levothyroxine 50 mcg, and have constantly been upping the dosage since then. I just received news today that my numbers are finally good!! I am currently on 175 mcg. I have never had any negative side effects from the medication, though it is a pain to have to take it first thing in the morning and wait 30 minutes to eat. I usually have really low blood sugar in the morning, so if I get up and start being active and don't eat I will start to get nauseous and dizzy. So I just have my levo on my nightstand with a bottle of water and take it as soon as I wake up, and lay in bed and read or check facebook...etc for 30 minutes. Then I get up and eat breakfast before I do anything else. That has been working really well for me. I take vitamins and all other meds before bed so that they can't interfere with the levo.

I always wake up at least once every night, so I keep my Synthroid on my nightstand with a glass of water. It takes 2 seconds to take it, I fall right back asleep, and then I don't have to worry about timing my food intake or vitamins. There's always at least a 4 hour cushion.

I know this won't work for everyone (especially if you have the good fortune of sleeping through the night), but it works great for me, so I thought I'd mention it.
  • Keiras_Mom
    Keiras_Mom Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I am on 150 of levothyroxine, and my levels are now fine. What is the difference between this and Synthroid? I am in the UK and not sure if Synthroid is available here.

Levothyroxine is the generic version of the brand name Synthroid. Theoretically, they should be identical, or close to identical, but the different generics use different fillers, which some people react to differently. I find I do better with the brand name medication, but some do just fine with generic. If you're doing well, there's no reason to change.
  • DentalEJ
    DentalEJ Posts: 21
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism too. I decided to go the holistic approach instead of the traditional medical approach. For the first 2 years, so much improved with my health. I even lost 60+ pounds in those first two years but I had to be super strict with my eating ALL the time. However, the doctor I see checked my thyroid levels every 3 months and nothing we've done naturally has helped--although all of my other medical issues are now gone. So, I started synthroid a few weeks ago. I haven't been able to tell much of a difference yet, but I understand that it takes time. My biggest complaints are that I'm freezing cold ALL the time and that last 12 pounds will not budge no matter how clean I eat or how much I exercise. I'm really hoping that once the med is regulated, I'll see a noticeable improvement in these two areas. I still get my blood work done every 3 months which is extremely important. For anyone on this medication, make sure your doctor is keeping a close check on things.

Congratulations on your achievement! Those last 12 pds. Are nothing compared to what you have lost so fat :) I also started with the holistic/natural approach first (Nature Sunshine Target TS II & the thyroid activator) even though I had more energy and took the natural pills for about six months my numbers did not change a bit. So had to start taking the synthetic medication. So far so good. I was explained by the doctor that I must take the hormone replacement be wise my pituitary and thyroid are overworking and eventually as time goes by there is no return, becoming much more difficult to get under control.