For Women: Do you exercise during your menstrual period?

Options

Replies

• taylorckt1
    taylorckt1 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I try to definitely work out during my TOM because I also am tired/sluggish but the exercise makes it a lot better...
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    YES...just yes....

nothing stands in my way....especially not TOM....

and quite frankly as much as it sucks during...the endorphin high after a heavy lift session makes me feel better after...

so it's always worth it...
  • ctina197six
    ctina197six Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    yup.. if I took a week off it would be to hard to get back into a grove.. Plus it would give me to much extra time to eat if I wasn't at the gym..
  • denisegetskinny
    denisegetskinny Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    It seems like the older I get the more painful my period seems to get. I just make sure I take lots of Ibuprofane(killed the spelling) and exercise anyway
  • shiseido_faerie
    shiseido_faerie Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Yeah it makes me feel better. I prefer the Diva Cup so it doesn't even feel like I have my period.

Love my Diva Cup, but recently discovered lifting heavier weights while wearing it = not so good lol
  • LittleMiss_WillLoseIt
    LittleMiss_WillLoseIt Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    YES...just yes....

nothing stands in my way....especially not TOM....

and quite frankly as much as it sucks during...the endorphin high after a heavy lift session makes me feel better after...

so it's always worth it...

This. If I would let TOM get in my way then I'd make other excuses get in the way also. Just do it!!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I'm on the rag as we speak.

This is appropriate.

480747_10200921540864207_1494841450_n.jpg
    You have access to the internet in the menstrual hut you have to stay in until you are no longer unclean? Wow.

:laugh: My captors are humane. *kitten* backwards, but humane.

This made me laugh! I sometimes wish I would get sent to the hut, just for the peace and quiet.
  • mum212
    mum212 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    i dont i feel lightheaded if i do x
  • jenniferrusso7393
    jenniferrusso7393 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    It has always helped my cramps too... If you feel tired and sluggish, just do a less intense workout... walk instead of run, for example. I work out the same as usual.
  • MaraPN
    MaraPN Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I do but only at home.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Of course. Iron and B-12 if there's even a hint of sluggishness.

It's not an excuse to skip the gym. It's not an excuse to skip anything in life. My goodness, if the strongest woman in the world Karyn Marshall can lift heavy while undergoing chemotherapy and radiation, the rest of us can make an appearance at the gym with a few cramps and bloating.
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    of course! 5 days is too long to go wihtout exercise. However i dont usually work out the first day or two if i am hurting.
  • sarahDickson501
    sarahDickson501 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I usually the skip the first day because my muscles get pretty tender and sore, but I power through the rest of the time. A good workout will actually make you feel better.

Im on a BC that messes my cycles up so I never know when Im starting, and I kinda wondered what was up with my strength this morning! Turns out I started a little while after working out. lol.
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    well let's see... i had a nice break from TOM for 2.5 yrs but now (as of the past 2 mo) they are starting again and cramps are KICKING MY @SS. when i had TOM before it was irregular and light, with moderate cramps. max 4-6/year, w/o a need for 'hygeine products'. not much of a problem for me, so i rarely needed to change my routine--that was back when i wasn't exercising, tho...

flash forward to this past Sunday: i spend the entire day in bed with psychocramps, barely able to walk around. that's new. idk that i've ever had it that bad. :mad: the next day tho i was out shredding the streets on my sk8brd again. today i am crampy and run down but i am looking foward to my afternoon shred...

we'll see how this situation continues to develop. i have a feeling i'll be hitting the exercise as much as possible to help mitigate the cramps.
  • Rockstar_JILL
    Rockstar_JILL Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Ummm....YES! Put in a tampon and take some advil and continue on in life! I tend to eat more that week, so I HAVE to exercise MORE! It should not be an excuse at all!
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Ummm....YES! Put in a tampon and take some advil and continue on in life! I tend to eat more that week, so I HAVE to exercise MORE! It should not be an excuse at all!

Ha ha. How much advil? See, I normally take about six. It takes about an hour, but after that, the cramps normally abate enough to let me walk. That lasts about three hours, so I have to take six more. So by the end of the night, I have no cramps but am pretty close to puking my guts out all over my carpet.

So if the idea is to take painkillers to get over it, just how much more should I be taking? Out of curiosity, of course.
  • abikinibyjuly
    abikinibyjuly Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Yes. I pack heat all over the place. My bra. My neoprene belly wrap. My socks. the tiny pockets of my workout tops or bottoms. "bullets", "corks" and "patches" and hand sanitizer. Then I hit the campus trails or gym or anywhere else I know there will be plenty of restrooms and wear a sweatshirt just in case I have to pull the old tie around the waist move. Anytime i spot a restroom I duck in and "reload" just to make sure I'm covered. Haven't had any accidents yet.

Husband used to say "walk it off" every time I complained of cramps, of course I looked at him like this :huh: :mad: :angry: :explode: :noway: everytime I did not throw something at him.

During my "journey" however I have come to figure out it turns out that is good advice. Feel better on days I walk to relieve what I guess is muscle tension or something, idk. All i know is it works. :blushing: Sorry TMI but it is TMI tuesday after all, and it could help someone.

Packing heat! Love this! And thanks for the sweatshirt reminder.
  • MyPsalm63
    MyPsalm63 Posts: 303
    Options
    I do still exercise. I will not weigh in or measure during that time though.
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options

Ha ha. How much advil? See, I normally take about six. It takes about an hour, but after that, the cramps normally abate enough to let me walk. That lasts about three hours, so I have to take six more. So by the end of the night, I have no cramps but am pretty close to puking my guts out all over my carpet.

So if the idea is to take painkillers to get over it, just how much more should I be taking? Out of curiosity, of course.

This. There are a lot of women who need prescription painkillers just to have their cramps dulled a bit. Sometimes people can't just suck it up.

At the risk of waaay TMI here, I skip the first day because I bleed so much I literally am going through one super tampon per hour, hour and a half. And that is just sitting around. If I absolutely have to do any walking around, the rate of which I go through them is a bit faster.
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    I also usually skip the first day.. my muscles ache, my joints hurt, and i have awful cramps. The second day, I've had enough midol and rest that I can tackle it as normal.