For Women: Do you exercise during your menstrual period?

Options

Replies

• lissavlog
    lissavlog Posts: 55
    Options
    I always do. Exercise helps relieve my cramps. Plus, overall, working out just makes me feel better!
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    I'm with the overwhelming majority of women (it would seem) that do work out when TOM has rolled around. Do I WANT to?....hell to the naw. I have a couple of days smack in the middle when it's uncomfortable, shall we say?:huh:

I try to arrange my rest days around these :ohwell: Though it doesn't always work out, i do my best. The additional movement seems to hurry along my cycle & that's a good thing. Also, as long as I work out on the regular, all symptoms are reduced enough that when it does come along, it's a bit of a surprise.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I do not.

My "excuse" is that mere walking leaves me doubled over. Stretching out in the bed makes me nauseous. I sweat buckets in my sleep. My skull feels like it's going to explode with crippling and blinding headaches.

I know, I'm so lazy. What with not wanting to feel like I'm going to fall over in excruciating pain. /sarcasm

(Defensive post is defensive, I know. I just get very tired of being told I'm making excuses. Sorry, not all of us have nice Aunt Flo's. Some of us have *****-goddess from hell Auntie's whose gifts comes wrapped in rusty, razor lined spoons that carve out our insides.)
  • missjojo31
    missjojo31 Posts: 150
    Options
    yep, world dont end because of my monthly.
  • krystina_letitia9
    krystina_letitia9 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. My migraines get worse during my period and sometimes exercising helps. Occasionally I hurt too damn bad and have to take a nap instead though. I try my best!
  • cavia
    cavia Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    That's the best time to workout, imo (with weight training).

Definitely. I love when TOM goes and I exercised/lifted every day of it.. when the water retention tapers off, my figure looks even better than it did pre-TOM.

I'm with you ladies!
  • Microfiber
    Microfiber Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I'm not stopping my insanity programme for nuffink :laugh:
  • wtw0n
    wtw0n Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Yup, I do. I usually feel all kinds of crap on the first day, not to mention I have very bad cramps. I take several painkillers and then I just go do something, usually at least bicycling (stationary bike). I find that exercise helps relieve my cramps.

However, I do understand women who skip exercising during their periods because I used to have so painful periods that I could hardly move at all.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Yes

ETA but thankfully I have an easy time of it, unlike quirkytizzy up there. I will never complain about my cramps again. :flowerforyou:
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Yes I do. I don't have any PMS or cramps though.
  • LNRansom
    LNRansom Posts: 4
    Options
    I do because it eases the cramps. I just have to be careful as I can get a little anaemic in the first 2 days. :S
  • amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Always. TOM is no excuse to take it easy! And for those who do cramp (I do not) it's supposed to help reduce those aches
  • upgetupgetup
    upgetupgetup Posts: 749 Member
    Options
  • MelissaVoci
    MelissaVoci Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I do, I usually end up doing less cardio, and more weights/aggressive workout (medicine ball throws, etc) It helps my crabby mood too :)
  • fara180
    fara180 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    i most certainly do...NOT. i can barely drag myself out of bed to crawl to the sofa during that time. the idea of me working out is almost laughable.
  • MNA76
    MNA76 Posts: 1,541
    Options
    Yep. All the time.
  • candymara
    candymara Posts: 49
    Options
    I couldn't even if I tried... during my period I'm damn near bedridden! But only because I have a fribroid the size of a mandarin orange on my uterus that has a hissy fit once a month during my period. Agonizing pain.

But before the fibroid was a problem, I used to exercise lighter than usual but still made an effort. I have always had at least some mild cramping and fatigue with mine my whole life.
  • MyProgressISYour1Proof
    Options
    I push through it like a BEAST!!!
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    3 posts on the site, posted a link to a dodgy article, and hasn't returned to discuss.

Hmmmm.

But yes. I work through, makes me feel better.
  • candymara
    candymara Posts: 49
    Options
    I do not.

My "excuse" is that mere walking leaves me doubled over. Stretching out in the bed makes me nauseous. I sweat buckets in my sleep. My skull feels like it's going to explode with crippling and blinding headaches.

I know, I'm so lazy. What with not wanting to feel like I'm going to fall over in excruciating pain. /sarcasm

(Defensive post is defensive, I know. I just get very tired of being told I'm making excuses. Sorry, not all of us have nice Aunt Flo's. Some of us have *****-goddess from hell Auntie's whose gifts comes wrapped in rusty, razor lined spoons that carve out our insides.)

AMEN. Totally with you on this one, girl.