For Women: Do you exercise during your menstrual period?

Options

Replies

• MorbidMander
    MorbidMander Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Yup.
  • prium01
    prium01 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I do...but not on the first day!!
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Nothing more I hate than reading whining about how your period is so tough and you can't exercise. Unless you have Endometriosis or period induced anemia, you should be getting off your butt and get that blood flowing!! If you EXERCISED during your period, you would feel better. How you feel is all in your head...

I shortened my period from 5 days to 3 days, no cramps since exercising on a regular basis, including days of TOM. My moods are positive and through the roof when I exercise.. who the hell wouldn't want those pros? Geez..

Nothing I hate more than people that for some reason think they can judge how everyone else should feel based on how they feel. Telling someone that how they feel is all in their head is beyond stupid unless you're planning to tell that to a person with a broken leg too.

Just because exercising during your period works for you or even just because it works for most people DOES NOT mean it will work for everyone.

And to answer the original question - yes, I still exercise. I do however usually take a day or two off from swimming (generally I swim daily). The reason being that during the first few days I REALLY feel the cold. Getting in the pool at that time is just miserable. Generally when I swim I'm cold for the first 5 or 6 laps and then I warm up. The first few days of my period I can stay cold for the whole 60 laps. So I take a few days off.
  • melonclarinet
    melonclarinet Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I sometimes skip the first day because I get a horrendous migraine with it, but I try to work through it most of the time.
  • shred_me_up
    shred_me_up Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    hell yea, it makes the symptoms less intense for me too :D
  • Jen800
    Jen800 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Nothing more I hate than reading whining about how your period is so tough and you can't exercise. Unless you have Endometriosis or period induced anemia, you should be getting off your butt and get that blood flowing!! If you EXERCISED during your period, you would feel better. How you feel is all in your head...

I shortened my period from 5 days to 3 days, no cramps since exercising on a regular basis, including days of TOM. My moods are positive and through the roof when I exercise.. who the hell wouldn't want those pros? Geez..

I don't make excuses, but I do take the first day off. I have a 10 day long period (also known as visit to hell). It also worsens my cramps (which are the devil himself already)
    My mood stays the same, which is generally moody and depressed no matter how long I work out :laugh:
    The point is, everyone is different and not everyone feels fabulous by working out on their period, and sometimes people really are in real, excruciating physical pain (as well as throwing up, etc) that it would just be unrealistic to work out. They're not lazy! But it is true that some people DO use it as an excuse to be lazy, eat junk, and over eat. But that doesn't mean everyone who takes a day off is whiney or weak :)
  • Pikabuu
    Pikabuu Posts: 4
    Options
    I'm bf right now but before, depending on which stage I was at, I did. It was rough at that ikky middle point. At the start and end I would tho.
  • VanillaBeanSeed
    VanillaBeanSeed Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I feel extra fat during that time.. so you bet your *kitten* I get into the gym! :wink:
  • ClementineGeorg
    ClementineGeorg Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I do exercise... even in school, I did physical education / sports class on my period.

Sometimes I feel crappy in the first day (pain and the icky sensation), so I might use it at a rest day... but mostly working out (like low intensity stuff, maybe some Pillates, arm exercises) comes at hand even in the first day.
    The other days are like normal days... just I have to change something, so if it's a workout day, I will workout.
  • Maribel_1986
    Maribel_1986 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I usually the skip the first day because my muscles get pretty tender and sore, but I power through the rest of the time. A good workout will actually make you feel better.

Same here!
  • Mimoki
    Mimoki Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I do, only if I manage not to cry halfway through my routine and give up.... Happened yesterday lol.
  • fayeonherway
    Options
    Yes. But I'm sort of freak because I do not suffer what a good number of women go through during the TOM. No cramps, no bloating, no fatigue, no mood changes.
  • Mimoki
    Mimoki Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Yes. But I'm sort of freak because I do not suffer what a good number of women go through during the TOM. No cramps, no bloating, no fatigue, no mood changes.

shhhhhh.... If the universe realizes you might'nt be so luck no more...
  • RandiLandCHANGED
    RandiLandCHANGED Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    Not usually. It's hard to lift weights while eating burgers, pizza, ice cream and chocolate from dawn til dusk.

I have pcos and an enormous ovarian cyst but I didn't exercise at all pre-diagnosis so everything thus far is an improvement. Not that it matters anyways. Saying somebody shouldn't use their period as an excuse unless "xyz" is ridiculous. I can make up any excuse I want. If I no longer want a low bodyfat %, I'm not hurting anyone but myself.
  • fayeonherway
    Options
    shhhhhh.... If the universe realizes you might'nt be so luck no more...

HAHAHA!

About 4 years ago, my doctor put me on some new meds. I started having severe pain in my lower abdominal region a few days later. I thought I was going to die, had to lay down (in a store of all places since I was at the mall) and begged my friend to take me to the ER. It turned out to be menstrual cramps (which was listed as a side effect). It was the first and last time that ever happened.

I sympathize with you guys who have to go through that shizz.
  • Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Double important on day one - it makes the flow heavier, so it finishes sooner, it eases any pain - and I'm less likely to murder people.

Unless you cut in front of me at the gym. Then I shall give you the Glare of Doom and think about killing YOU specifically.
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    It's really a toss up. If workout day falls on a period day, then I sure do. It tends to increase flow for me, but I deal with it :ohwell:
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options

I don't make excuses, but I do take the first day off. I have a 10 day long period (also known as visit to hell). It also worsens my cramps (which are the devil himself already)
    My mood stays the same, which is generally moody and depressed no matter how long I work out :laugh:
    The point is, everyone is different and not everyone feels fabulous by working out on their period, and sometimes people really are in real, excruciating physical pain (as well as throwing up, etc) that it would just be unrealistic to work out. They're not lazy! But it is true that some people DO use it as an excuse to be lazy, eat junk, and over eat. But that doesn't mean everyone who takes a day off is whiney or weak :)

That sounds like an ecstatic spiral to Hell right there.. There are specific people on here that ALWAYS ALWAYS complain about their period, every month there is a thread about how bad it is.. those are the folks I am referring to.
  • xXxHBICxXx
    xXxHBICxXx Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I'm not as happy about working out during my time of the month, but I find I have more energy for it ... weird right?
  • tatd_820
    tatd_820 Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I used to take that whole week off. BUT, now my motto is "No Excuses". So I workout with or without it. I do avoid the group fitness classes though with all the jumping around, though. If you need to take a day or so off, do it.