For Women: Do you exercise during your menstrual period?

Options

Replies

• redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I don't on the first two days because they are heavy and I don't like rockin' a wet pad during my work out. After that I usually work out. I don't get cramps really since I'm on bc so I'm pretty good to go.
  • angel101netta
    angel101netta Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    During the 7 days I prob workout twice. it helps tremendously with my mood swings and helps me feel less tired and sluggish.
  • highheeldiva01
    highheeldiva01 Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    YES!!!!!!!!!!
  • Willowana
    Willowana Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Yep. I still go to work when I feel like crap, so I view exercise the same way. The necessities of life.
  • ThePinkPenguin
    Options
    I don't the first day because I start off heavy, but I try to the rest of the time. I usually don't feel worse or get cramps, but I take the first day off just to chill!
  • Txracy
    Txracy Posts: 78
    Options
    Definitely! A week is just too long to take a break, for me. And it helps with the severity of cramps, moodiness, lethargy, and food cravings. I am happier on days I work out, regardless of what kind of bloodbath is going on in my uterus.
  • Thena81
    Thena81 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    yes b/c it makes cramps go away!
  • manda1978
    manda1978 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Yep. It helps with bloating and moods plus I tend to eat more.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Coming from someone that used to have periods that hurt me all the way to knee and nausated to the point where I threw up several times, not working out on your period is not an excuse, it's a valid reason. I can see why women don't want to.
  • LMT2012
    LMT2012 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    omg no. I stay out of sight in the red tent for 5 to 7 days ; P
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Nothing more I hate than reading whining about how your period is so tough and you can't exercise. Unless you have Endometriosis or period induced anemia, you should be getting off your butt and get that blood flowing!! If you EXERCISED during your period, you would feel better. How you feel is all in your head...

I shortened my period from 5 days to 3 days, no cramps since exercising on a regular basis, including days of TOM. My moods are positive and through the roof when I exercise.. who the hell wouldn't want those pros? Geez..
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I have no valid reason not to. I have light, short, easy periods that are only a slight inconvenience. I don't suffer like some other people, but if I did I might skip it.

ETA: I recently achieved a personal record while running during my period. It was a heavier day and I was feeling a little tired before I started. I came into the run with a feeling that it would be a total fail, but I kicked *kitten* instead! :drinker:
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,636 Member
    Options
    Yes
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    Yeah it makes me feel better. I prefer the Diva Cup so it doesn't even feel like I have my period.
  • Jen800
    Jen800 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I usually skip day 1 (sometimes day 2) because I have horrible pain, feel totally sluggish, and it actually makes my cramps even WORSE if you can believe that. I know a lot of people feel better after, but not me.

The rest of the time I power through, since day 1 and 2 are usually my worst pain-wise. I continue healthy eating the whole time. ( I get INSANELY hungry though, so I usually try to just eat lots of salad. I have some healthy go-to sweet recipes to calm my sweet tooth, but if nothing is satisfying me I allow myself ONE square of chocolate (usually 70% dark chocolate)
  • vivian1616
    vivian1616 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I do now, but if I had periods like I used to, I am not sure I could have worked out. Used to spend at least one whole day in bed every month. If yours are like that, maybe you could try some yoga or pilates instead of your regular workout. Something that will get you some exercise, but not be too intense, and I bet it will still help you feel better on those icky days.
  • aram832013
    Options
    I definitely do, it really helps!
  • Rho_Ro
    Rho_Ro Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I work right through it and never notice any difference. But, that being said, isn't it more important to do what YOUR body feels is best? Taking it a bit easier for a few days won't be the end of the world. Try different levels of exercise, or different methods, like maybe yoga instead of aerobics, for instance. See what feels best to you.

Great advice. I'm thru the other side now and don't have to worry about it. In my earlier years TOM was merely an inconvenience and life went on, although if I had a particularly painful mth I'm sure I will have laid low for the day. We had two students to stay 3 yrs ago, one Chinese and one Thai, and both girls asked me to write them notes to excuse them from swimming and normal PE when they had their TOM. There was no option for swimming as they are unable to wear tampons, but I refused to write them notes for normal PE. I was totally flabbergasted, as like I say I've always got on with life.
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Bloated and miserable and stuck on the couch?

No thanks. I'm hitting the gym.