juice fast

Options
124»

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I saw the same movie and was really impressed by his results also. I completely understand that point that you aren't going to sustain yourself on nothing but juice for the rest of your life so why bother doing a fast like this but it has such incredible benefits (not just weight loss) that I absolutely recommend it as something to incorporate into your life in general even if you don't do the fast.

I agree that living on nothing but juice is a bit extreme but after watching the same movie, I liked the idea of juicing and did a ton of research on it. it is a great way to get a ton of nutrients, both micro- and macro- that your body needs. The process of juicing allows you to take in more fruit and vegetables than most normal people would be able to in a day and the nutrients are more readily available to your body as they are already "broken down". Add to that the fact that everything you're now eating is raw and the nutrients in our foods are even more available as they haven't been cooked out of everything.

I didn't do the standard fast but I did incorporate juicing into my regular diet. For 10 days, I made a juice for both breakfast and dinner and then had a decent lunch (lean plant based protein, etc.). Fruit based juice in the AM, vegetable in the PM. Our bodies digest fruits and vegetables differently so I didn't combine the 2. It may sound stupid to many of you but I felt INCREDIBLE. I was honestly in a much better mood, had so much more energy, my skin looked better, I was amazed.

Again, I don't know that I would do a complete fast, especially a 60 day one like in the movie, I know people who have and still are and have gotten great results. I realize our bodies "aren't video games" but I do think we can reset them. Especially after a period of eating crappy food or living with poor eating habits. If you do a fast intelligently and drink the right amount of water, etc. it can help get rid of some of the junk in our bodies that accumulates over time if our diets are less than stellar. What I personally like about some types of fast is that it kind of resets my brain and my habits. Instead of grabbing something here and there when I feel like it, it forces me to retrain myself to be aware of what and when I'm eating.

After the first 10 days, I switched to an AM fruit based juice and healthy meals for the other 2 plus added a morning and an afternoon snack and have been sticking to that ever since (about a month or so now). I still feel great, and have become much more cognizant about food and eating in general.

I wouldn't do it just for weight loss, it isn't a fad diet, its kind of a lifestyle change. I know people who have done the full-on fast and most complained of headaches, lethargy, some nausea the first few days with resolution and feeling great afterwards so be aware of what you may experience if you decide to do this. Also, obvisously I don't have a clue about what your diet is now but n't go from a McDonalds, steak and potatoes kind of diet one day to a complete juice fast the next; ease into it. If you currently eat meat, take that our of your diet first along with dairy; add more fruits and veggies to your diet at the same time.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck to you!

This is my issue with juicing. It pushes the idea that meat is unhealthy for you. Meat isn't bad for you by any means. To eliminate a whole category of foods is unnecessary and the fact that meat is the quickest way to get protein, which is probably the most important macro nutrient. For example, I looked at your diary - I am not trying to invade or make attacks so I hope you don't perceive it at that - but most days, you barely consume 1200 calories and to expand to your macronutrients, you barely hit 30g of protein a day. Ideally, to help sustain lean body mass, you need to aim for 1g of protein per lb of lean body mass. And as you age, it becomes a lot easier to lose muscle mass. So if your diary demonstrates the typical juicer, I would suggest that this lifestyle can make long term sustainment and health worse as you are macro-deficient.

Overall, you can be healthy with juicing and losing weight is probably the bigger reason you feel better, but if you sustain calories at 20% less than TDEE, juicing will not provide you any greater benefit. Like many of us suggest, juice is neither better nor worse than any other diet, it's just unnecessary. I firmly believe that managing you macro nutrients is much more important to following a specific diet plan. Because for me, maintaining my muscle is extremely important. The more muscle you have, the leaner and tighter your body will be and the less weight you need to lose to achieve that.

I think it's awesome that you have great success with juicing, but I will caution you that not all weight loss is equal. Fat loss > weight loss (fat + lbm).

There are many cultures that do not eat meat. Not to mention vegetarians, and vegans. Nobody needs meat. There are plenty of plant based protein that provide just as much protein as meat, and are very healthy for you. There are also many fruits and vegetables that offer the same benefit as dairy. Just sayin...

Oh I agree. I am not saying you can't be healthy if you don't eat meat, but erroneously taking it out doesn't mean you will be healthier either. It's just a huge misconception if people think removing meat from their diet makes you healthier. But yes, you can live a very healthy life as a veggie or vegan pending you understand it and how to achieve your macro nutrient requirements.
  • sunzelle
    sunzelle Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Sure, juice fasts are amazing for the lazy. But I'd rather be healthy and get off my butt.

Yes, one must always remain on their butt while juicing.

The idea is that pure juice diets do not require work to figure out proper eating habits. That's lazy in the sense that you are putting off something that you will need to confront and learn eventually.

You couldn't possibly know whether or not someone will learn proper eating habits if they juice. Everyone is different. What might work for some might not work for others. It's silly to assume otherwise.
  • fayeonherway
    Options

The idea is that pure juice diets do not require work to figure out proper eating habits. That's lazy in the sense that you are putting off something that you will need to confront and learn eventually.

So full of awesome. As usual.
  • Crazibaker
    Crazibaker Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Hi there - I am on day 8 of juicing and I'm loving it. I am taking a modified approach though and doing 2 meals jucing and a "clean" dinner. I also have a protein packed snack in between breakfast and lunch (hard boiled egg, nuts, hummas...etc).

I have to say that I do feel like I have more energy than normal and my digestion has been A LOT better. I was having problems before I started with upset stomach - which is one of reasons to try this "reset".

I have lost a few pounds, but more importantly, I feel healthier.

Good Luck to you!!
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Suggestion: Go on Youtube and watch some of those who have done Juice Fasting and STILL Live that way...Any type of Fasting EVENTUALLY is NOT about losing weight, it becomes VERY Spiritual and Emotional, and if you are not prepared for that then you WILL fail! Eventually the Physical Part becomes "Routine", the Body finds its comfort zone and says, "YEAH", BUT then ALL of the Emotional matter starts to come forth, especially if you are over weight and that is usually because of "past stuff" that Eating covers up, THEN The Spiritual Phase will always filter in trying to push you past your pain...whether Emotional or initial hunger. So, again, if you see Fasting as a purely physical matter(as MOST people in the West do), you will probably fail - quickly. So do your research and prepare physically, Emotionally and Spiritually. It is more than do-ABLE!
  • sgtlee13
    sgtlee13 Posts: 66
    Options
    Well...I never ever said that meat is unhealthy at all. You even highlighted my exact words and that was simply, if someone is going to start a juice fast to not switch from a standard meat heavy diet to nothing but fruits and vegetables in one quick leap. You can't shock your body so completely like that. You at least speak as if you know a bit about nutrition so I would imagine that you would understand what I mean by that. If I say something and it comes out wrong (which I am absolutely guilty of doing sometimes) I have no problem trying to fix it but please don't read any of your own interpretations into something I say.

As far as my food diary, I have no problem whatsoever with anyone viewing it, that's why I made it public. I'm actually looking for suggestions and ideas. But please get the whole story before you assume (sensing a slight trend here) what my situation is. What you don't know since you just read my diary and seemed to have made assumptions from there is that trying to reach a higher calorie intake each day is something I've been working on and have been talking about with a couple different people on here. I just started on here seriously about a week ago and am still tweaking a few things; caloric intake being the major one. Like I said, I don't care at all if others view my diary, but if there's something you perceive as a problem, pse address it (with me) instead of just making assumptions about anything. And I have no idea if I or my diary represent a typical juicer and I would never claim to; I represent me, that is all.

Oops...I wanted to quote the post I was replying to but my computer genius seems to be preventing me from being able to do that so I'm doing it the old fashioned cut and paste way...
    This is my issue with juicing. It pushes the idea that meat is unhealthy for you. Meat isn't bad for you by any means. To eliminate a whole category of foods is unnecessary and the fact that meat is the quickest way to get protein, which is probably the most important macro nutrient. For example, I looked at your diary - I am not trying to invade or make attacks so I hope you don't perceive it at that - but most days, you barely consume 1200 calories and to expand to your macronutrients, you barely hit 30g of protein a day. Ideally, to help sustain lean body mass, you need to aim for 1g of protein per lb of lean body mass. And as you age, it becomes a lot easier to lose muscle mass. So if your diary demonstrates the typical juicer, I would suggest that this lifestyle can make long term sustainment and health worse as you are macro-deficient.

Overall, you can be healthy with juicing and losing weight is probably the bigger reason you feel better, but if you sustain calories at 20% less than TDEE, juicing will not provide you any greater benefit. Like many of us suggest, juice is neither better nor worse than any other diet, it's just unnecessary. I firmly believe that managing you macro nutrients is much more important to following a specific diet plan. Because for me, maintaining my muscle is extremely important. The more muscle you have, the leaner and tighter your body will be and the less weight you need to lose to achieve that.

I think it's awesome that you have great success with juicing, but I will caution you that not all weight loss is equal. Fat loss > weight loss (fat + lbm).