running.... inside or outside?

Options
which do you prefer if you run inside or outside?

I just hate running outside. I think it is so much harder. may be it will be easier to run outside when I get better and I don't have to have the treadmill to make my feet go?

Replies

• kpstacy
    kpstacy Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    You are right, running outside is much harder.... I used to hate running outside for that reason....I would suggest alternating between indoors and outdoors, and also on the treadmill, do some inclines that way you build up some strength and endurance for the outdoors. It also depends on why you are running.... if you aren't looking to run any races you could just stay indoors, but running can be so much fun outside. I like to go early morning when the sun is just coming up.... talk about peaceful.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I love running outside! The treadmill seems like punishment. I like the fresh air, I like the change of scenery. Watching the ducks, swans, boats, people, whatever really takes my mind off of what I'm doing. And it feels better on my body. Also I can't even Imaginecompleting a 10 mile run on a treadmill.
  • zlauerMom
    zlauerMom Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I like running outdoors more. I find it more interesting. But I'm not die-hard about it. I run on the treadmill if it is snowy out or extremely cold/hot.

On the treadmill. I set the incline to 1 or 2. Sometimes I vary it to something steep and slow the pace for a minute every now and then. I think because of the incline, I don't find it harder to run outside when I do.
  • reallymyBEST
    reallymyBEST Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Outside! I just can't find joy on the treadmill. Max run is 3mi and that is torture!

Outside = sun, fresh air, mini goals (like a tree or sign), 'breaking through' to the joyful part of running, freeing my mind... It is harder and the weather can make it worse, but I try to embrace the challenge. I can't wait for temps to stay above 30, so I can get my mileage back up!
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    Outside. Most I can handle on Torture-mill is one mile.
  • marikevr
    marikevr Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Outside!
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    Running outside >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Running inside

But Wisconsin winters aren't friendly for running outside....although I was able to sneak in 4 runs this January during the "heat wave"....so usually it's 3-4 months on the dreadmill.....ugh.
  • thump418
    thump418 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Running outside is so much better. I feel trapped when i am on the treadmill and feel like I am on an adventure when I run outside. You can take different routes and the air feels good on the skin. I love it. I run all year round only time i don't is if it is snowing or sleeting.
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I cannot run on a treadmill! It drives me nuts. Yes, it is more challenging to run outside, but the fresh air and being able to change routes on a whim and control my pace feels great! I was bored on the treadmill after two weeks...started outside and have never looked back!
  • RunWinterGarden
    RunWinterGarden Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Outside is much better, but I generally do inside all of the time because of the weather (it's Florida, it gets hot) and the treadmill helps me control my pacing better.
  • bobf279
    bobf279 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I only use a treadmill when I am away in a hotel, otherwise all my running is outside, up to 4 miles now
  • CrisAlex
    CrisAlex Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Both - it depends on the weather and my needs. Now that winter is over, I will be running outside a lot more.
  • elizabethis
    elizabethis Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I think as you do it longer, you will come to prefer being outside! Variety, air moving past you, feeling strength in your legs as you go up hills. Don't get me wrong....it is still work, BUT I find it to be more stress reducing outside and I can go so much farther (when I choose to). Doesn't really matter though. Good for you to be hitting that treadmill! Find what you like best and are willing to do over the long haul, which may need to be changed up from time to time.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Outside! I HATE the treadmill. I cannot slow or speed up my pace without pushing buttons and waiting for the machine to respond. I am actually able to run (jog?) longer when I can easily determine the speed, based on what my body can do right then.
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Outside, even though you are right it is harder to breathe! But I don't get as bored!!
  • andrea10191
    andrea10191 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I love running outside. Its nice to get some fresh air and be able to vary my route to get different scenery. And I can run anywhere. I don't need to worry about finding a treadmill when I'm traveling.
  • shinkalork
    shinkalork Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I prefer outside but I need to run a the road cause sidewalks are hard for my shins..... So I try to stay on the side of the road as much as possible. but fresh air will always beat a treadmills.... STILL, treadmills is much easier for joints,shins and knees that's for sure. For........................ Get some suns and air people lol :)
  • justcallmerob
    justcallmerob Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    To be completely honest I dont like running outside or inside (its a mental thing for me), but when I do run, its outside. Running on a treadmill gives me that "hamster on a wheel" feeling. At the same time running outside seems to give me more shin splints and random ankle pains
  • cjmcmillan
    cjmcmillan Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Outside! I hate the treadmill...I always feel unsteady, plus it's so boring!
  • Natalielp15
    Options
    Outside for sure!! I feel like it takes FOREVER to even get a mile in on the treadmill. I need to be going somewhere.