Marriage Proposal - A question for the men out there.

Options
124»

Replies

• CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    It took me years of saving nickels & dimes while taking care of our family to pay cash for my wifes ring. I wanted the ring paid for so we could start with something that was ALL HERS. Then to finance & arrange a weekend getaway for the "perfect proposal", took another 6 months. If she would have jumped the gun b/c I wasn't fast enough, while I was trying to build a memory that she could tell her grandkids about...I would have taken that as a lack of faith & walked away.

So you were about to make a commitment of a life time that promises to stand by her and you would have taken it back that easily? Dude, you were not ready.
  • fausto412
    fausto412 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I have set myself a motivational task:
    When I reach my ultimate goal of 140lb (if my partner has not popped the question) I am going to do do it.

I need the opinion of mostly men on how you would feel if your lady proposed to you?

Happened to me before, divorced a year later due to life happening. My advice would that it is ok for the woman to propose. But if it isn't broke...don't fix it.
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    I read an article years ago where the author had interviewed several thousand couples after they applied for marriage certificates...and 80% of them said that the woman had initiated, pressured or given an ultimatum to get married. It didn't specify how many women actually popped the question, but clearly in most cases women are the driving force one way or another. I think men for the most part have an "if it ain't broke why fix it" mentality and would continue indefinitely as BF/GF.
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Personally I wouldn't but I'm pretty traditional. What I would do however is initiate a conversation regarding it.. get a feel on what he's thinking and where he wants to go with it.. and maybe let him know you'd like to...
  • Juggernaut_D
    Juggernaut_D Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    When I saw this last year I cried like a baby. Very touching! :heart:

World's most epic marriage proposal... http://youtu.be/zvljAY9c13Y

That is EPIC!!
  • megmay2591
    megmay2591 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    My mom proposed to my dad, and they've been married for 32 years together for 35.
  • RunWinterGarden
    RunWinterGarden Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I'd say no and get out.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't be put off by it, but...I am traidtional and my girl would know that and not ask. That's my 'job'. :)

All the best in your goals and proposal!
  • reztib
    reztib Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I would be a weirded out and not know how to respond. When I started dating my wife, it was pretty much expected that I was going to pop the question. I can't say this is how every guy feels but is is how I would feel. I have no idea what your boyfriend is like so it is hard to gauge other than how I would feel.

My wife and I also previously would talk about marriage being in the picture as well. I would strongly broadcast that you're ready without saying so directly. If he isn't ready, it's going to get awkward really quick.