58 Years Old and 81 Pounds Gone (Pics too!)

Options

Replies

• tammymusic1
    tammymusic1 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    amazing love hearing stories of more mature women making it. You look awesome!
  • Feisty_Red
    Feisty_Red Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Congrats!! Amazing work!!!! :heart: :flowerforyou:
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    What an amazing transformation!
  • grdnr03
    grdnr03 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    congratulations on your weight loss!!, thanks for sharing your story I love it, take care and enjoy life!!!
  • Olive32214
    Olive32214 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing, you look Amazing and so healthy... Congrats.x
  • TT_luvs_fitness
    Options
    wow great job and amazing transformation!
  • jordansh1961
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your story. I needed to hear this. I started back in Jan 2013 and I have been up and down. can't seem to keep the scale going in the down direction. I was think of stopping and decided to log on one last time and your story was the first I read. Thanks again:)
  • mhorn2142
    mhorn2142 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Amazing story, Amazing Progress!
  • nvpixie
    nvpixie Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    That's wonderful. You look fantastic :)
  • mattnjakesmom
    Options
    You are an inspiration!! Way to go!!!!
  • Nacho12
    Nacho12 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Wow. You look great. Congratulations!
  • SlinkySpencer
    SlinkySpencer Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    You've done such a wonderful job!

My mom is the same age as you, and she has it in her head that she's "too worn down" to lose weight. I'm definitely going to share your story with her--I hope it inspires her. It definitely inspired me!
  • harribeau2012
    harribeau2012 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    terrific achievement-well done!
  • patmoomur
    patmoomur Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    You've done a great thing for yourself. Beautiful no matter what way, but now also a much more manageable and healthy weight. I am you back at the start. I've been working on my choices and mental attitude with a dietitian and am making slow progress as I am not yet exercising. I am a little older at 63 and same weight as you were at your start. Well, as of now I have lost 4 lbs. I track my calories to see the reality of my choices and eat four times a day, trying to balance the calories at each meal. I hope to be able to post what you have posted in 1 year, and then I'll have my reward and be learning about maintenance. My goal is to learn about maintenance and be very good at it.
  • Dencrossgirl
    Dencrossgirl Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Congrats! You have done a great job. Can't help but notice there was only one week that you didn't record a loss and the following week you had a huge loss. You are so very lucky because most people don't lose like that, most people plateau at some point. Awesome job!
  • DanielleHinkle24
    DanielleHinkle24 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I love your story and your sense of humor. I, too, have my sister as a MFP friend - and my daughter - becasue that's "how I roll". You look amazing! Great job!!!
  • boatsie77
    boatsie77 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Congrats! You have done a great job. Can't help but notice there was only one week that you didn't record a loss and the following week you had a huge loss. You are so very lucky because most people don't lose like that, most people plateau at some point. Awesome job!
    Thank you for your kind words. There actually was 3 times I lost 0 pounds and 3 times I gained over the previous weekly weigh-in. And fortunately I didn't experience the much-dreaded plateau. All I can say about that is when I gained or lost nothing during the weigh-in I tried to keep my 'pity party' as short as possible--with no snacks--and move on. I didn't waste time berating myself, cursing the universe (I did curse the scale though), or hating my body. I just did my best to quietly sit and gave a chance for the "voice in my head" to wear itself out without trying to challenge, curse or appease it--then (after my weigh-in) I put the scale away, thanked my body for all the hard work it did over the past week, went for my Sunday walk to get my newspaper, came home and whizzed up my morning smoothie, and continued on down the road to my healthy lifestyle. I found that if I kept my power and control my body would cooperate the following week. I mentally prepared for 'the plateau' but fortunately it never happened in my case.

It makes me cringe when I read people say horrible things about their bodies. They say they hate their fat, flabby thighs; they feel like a whale, pig or elephant; they feel gross or like some huge, ugly beast. And yet they expect 'that body' to cooperate and transform itself into something fit and healthy. I believe the body is a wondrous machine that deserves our love and respect regardless of what shape it is in NOW...which is the right starting point to turn it into something more fit and healthy.
  • nuttyduffy
    nuttyduffy Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    What a fantastic loss and journey, I'm going to show my Mum this - she's just had knee surgery and wants to lose weight, I want to prove to her that just by walking and watching what she eats she can also lose it :happy:
  • boatsie77
    boatsie77 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I am humbled and amazed at all the wonderful comments I've received--they've given me 'wind beneath my wings' as I make my way into the Valley of Maintenance (where I shall fear no Drive-thru).

I have also received several friend requests that regretfully I'll have to decline at this point. As a Child of the 60s, I have not embraced this social networking thing and would not be able to put forth the time, effort or energy that some folks deserve (or require). As I said in my story, my sister is my only pal and I want to give all of my available time and effort into helping her achieve her goal of the peaceful, healthy life she deserves (she's 60 now). Our goal is to both complete the 5K she traveled 600 miles to walk with me again this year--hopefully with her at or near her goal of a 150-lb loss. That, and developing my maintenance program must be my main focus over the next several months.

Again, thank you all...I wish you all the best in your lifestyle changes...I ain't going anywhere, I'll be logging my food and exercise till I take the final ride in the brass-handled Cadillac.
  • Belongs2God
    Belongs2God Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Well, you answered what I've always been wondering....if at 58 I could lose weight or if it was too late. I'm so encouraged to keep going. I've lost nine pounds so far...in three days. I'm going to take one day at a time. I have a long ways to go, but I'm going to enjoy the journey to health by making better choices. I read a book once that said to start out eating a healthy breakfast and the rest of the day eat the way you normally would. Then after two weeks, eat a healthy breakfast and a healthy snack. Do that for two weeks. Then eat a healthy breakfast, a healthy snack and a healthy lunch. Do that for two weeks. Eat a healthy breakfast, snack, lunch, snack for two weeks. Then eat a healthy breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner for two weeks, then a healthy breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner, snack for two weeks. I'm going to sort of incorporate that idea into my eating lifestyle too. Thank you for sharing your story...you have truly inspired me and let me know it is possible regardless of menopause and age.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!