Too Much Protein

Options
So I've recently jumped back on the bandwagon with MFP and noticed that my Protein has been over EVERYDAY as much as 20g! I eat the same thing for breakfast everyday - 1 hard boiled egg and a greek yogurt, almost the same thing for lunch too - a grilled chicken salad. And after these 2 meals I'm almost at my dailey goal of 54g. My protein is mainly lean...so my question for the group is IS TOO MUCH PROTEIN BAD FOR ME? WHY IS IT BAD? WHAT DOES THE EXTRA PROTEIN DO FOR ME. Thanks group.

Replies

• lovemitch125
    lovemitch125 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    So I've recently jumped back on the bandwagon with MFP and noticed that my Protein has been over EVERYDAY as much as 20g! I eat the same thing for breakfast everyday - 1 hard boiled egg and a greek yogurt, almost the same thing for lunch too - a grilled chicken salad. And after these 2 meals I'm almost at my dailey goal of 54g. My protein is mainly lean...so my question for the group is IS TOO MUCH PROTEIN BAD FOR ME? WHY IS IT BAD? WHAT DOES THE EXTRA PROTEIN DO FOR ME. Thanks group.

I learned this is nutrition! Extra protein is the cause of weight gain in America, definitely BUT ONLY IF YOU AREN'T KEEPING ACTIVE! There is so much food that gives way too much protein and most people never knew it was bad, but they also weren't USING any of the protein they were consuming. Protein likes to store in your body in excess amounts and can be harmful to your body but if you are keeping active and using that extra protein then it will actually help your weight loss. So if you want to keep eating what you are eating, just go for a run or strength train and it will help you instead of harm you :)
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Unless you have existing kidney problems you can view protein as a minimum, not a limit. Most people have trouble getting enough.
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    It's not a problem. Eat more protein.
  • ApexLeader
    ApexLeader Posts: 580 Member
    Options

on the other hand, most people eat more protein than their body requires
  • ApexLeader
    ApexLeader Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Unless you have existing kidney problems you can view protein as a minimum, not a limit. Most people have trouble getting enough.

enough for what? most people eat more protein than they need (in the United States at least)
  • harleenarang
    harleenarang Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I think your daily limit is set too low. 54 grams is not a lot. Its suggested to eat 0.5 to 1 gram of protein for every pound of body weight so I think you are eating right - not a lot. Try checking your stats and adjust your daily goal.
  • Laurayinz
    Laurayinz Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Extra protein is the cause of weight gain in America
    :huh:

MFP's recommended guidelines are notoriously low for protein, just like a banana and apple will put you over on sugar. Try adjusting your macros to something like 40/30/30 (carbs/protein/fats) and see what that does for you.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    The extra protein makes you happy and healthy.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    I learned this is nutrition! Extra protein is the cause of weight gain in America, definitely BUT ONLY IF YOU AREN'T KEEPING ACTIVE! There is so much food that gives way too much protein and most people never knew it was bad, but they also weren't USING any of the protein they were consuming. Protein likes to store in your body in excess amounts and can be harmful to your body but if you are keeping active and using that extra protein then it will actually help your weight loss. So if you want to keep eating what you are eating, just go for a run or strength train and it will help you instead of harm you :)

Excess of calories is what causes weight gain in America and any other country.Whether those excess calories come from protein, fats, carbs, or alcohol is irrelevant.

Extra protein won't actually help your weight loss (only that in that your body has to work minutely harder to break it down but that will have minimal results on overall weight loss.) What it will do is help to preserve existing muscle tissue.

But yes, OP, you're fine. Keep eating your protein unless you have a medical reason to not do so.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options

What?

Extra protein isn't what is the cause of weight gain in America or anywhere else in the world. It is extra calories that cause someone to gain weight. Eating a lot of protein will not cause you to gain weight unless you are consuming more total calories than you need.

MFP sets protein goals low. You only need to keep an eye on your protein if you have kidney issues or you have other issues.
  • Cr01502
    Options
    The extra protein makes you happy and healthy.

:wink:
  • kimdawnhayden
    kimdawnhayden Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    If you are active, especially if you are lifting weights, most will tell you to aim for 1 g of Protein per 1 lb of body weight. Protein alone will not make you fat. Excess calories will make you fat.
  • chosengiver
    chosengiver Posts: 1,493
    Options

:noway: FAIL :noway:
  • Curleycue0314
    Curleycue0314 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!!!! No Kidney problems here so I'll just keep it up. I know it helps me to eat less as i stay full longer! I just wanted to make sure i'm not doing more harm than good!
  • twelfty
    twelfty Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    not to mention protein is generally low in calories anyway,

the reason america is overweight is they eat too much of everything, in particular carbs, and unhealthy fats, if americans were to eat more protein and less of the other two they probably wouldn't be overweight
  • Cr01502
    Options
    not to mention protein is generally low in calories anyway,

the reason america is overweight is they eat too much of everything, in particular carbs, and unhealthy fats, if americans were to eat more protein and less of the other two they probably wouldn't be overweight

long_facepalm_zps078c9d98.gif

Calories per gram of carb: 4

Calories per gram of protein: 4
  • m4ttcheek
    m4ttcheek Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    1g of protein per lb of body weight should be your minimum target. So you're probably way below what you should be aiming for.
  • salsera_barbie
    salsera_barbie Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I changed the maconutriens % on MFP from the default to:

40% carbs
    30% protein
    30% fats.

My protein in grams when I don't excersie is 98 grams based on 1300 calories.
  • HCGonzalezJr87
    HCGonzalezJr87 Posts: 6 Member
    Options

I'm sorry, but this is a load of bull ****. America didn't get fat off of protein, it got fat off of unhealthy foods like soda, sweets, junk food, fast food, and a lack of exercise.

I can't say exactly how much you need, because I am not your doctor and don't know you, but going over what MFP recommends or the FDA isn't going to kill you. Harleenarang's recommendation seems fair.