Too Much Protein

Options

Replies

• lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    20 grams over is not a problem, and will probably leave you feeling fuller, longer, than the same amount of carbs.
  • Luv2Smile55
    Luv2Smile55 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    The FDA recommends a protein intake of 0.8 grams/kg of body weight. It's not per pound of body weight.

http://www.coachcalorie.com/how-much-protein-is-too-much-per-day/
  • MommaKit79
    MommaKit79 Posts: 852
    Options
    I WISH I had your problem!! I cant seem to get enough protein!! :-)
  • LindseySprake
    LindseySprake Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I learned this is nutrition! Extra protein is the cause of weight gain in America, definitely BUT ONLY IF YOU AREN'T KEEPING ACTIVE! There is so much food that gives way too much protein and most people never knew it was bad, but they also weren't USING any of the protein they were consuming. Protein likes to store in your body in excess amounts and can be harmful to your body but if you are keeping active and using that extra protein then it will actually help your weight loss. So if you want to keep eating what you are eating, just go for a run or strength train and it will help you instead of harm you :)

What?

Extra protein isn't what is the cause of weight gain in America or anywhere else in the world. It is extra calories that cause someone to gain weight. Eating a lot of protein will not cause you to gain weight unless you are consuming more total calories than you need.

MFP sets protein goals low. You only need to keep an eye on your protein if you have kidney issues or you have other issues.

^^^THIS^^^
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    The FDA recommends a protein intake of 0.8 grams/kg of body weight. It's not per pound of body weight.

Sorry, but the FDA doesn't give a rat's *kitten* about your health or feelings. It recommends what's good for the government's finances, not you.
  • wilmnoca
    wilmnoca Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    So I've recently jumped back on the bandwagon with MFP and noticed that my Protein has been over EVERYDAY as much as 20g! I eat the same thing for breakfast everyday - 1 hard boiled egg and a greek yogurt, almost the same thing for lunch too - a grilled chicken salad. And after these 2 meals I'm almost at my dailey goal of 54g. My protein is mainly lean...so my question for the group is IS TOO MUCH PROTEIN BAD FOR ME? WHY IS IT BAD? WHAT DOES THE EXTRA PROTEIN DO FOR ME. Thanks group.

I learned this is nutrition! Extra protein is the cause of weight gain in America, definitely BUT ONLY IF YOU AREN'T KEEPING ACTIVE! There is so much food that gives way too much protein and most people never knew it was bad, but they also weren't USING any of the protein they were consuming. Protein likes to store in your body in excess amounts and can be harmful to your body but if you are keeping active and using that extra protein then it will actually help your weight loss. So if you want to keep eating what you are eating, just go for a run or strength train and it will help you instead of harm you :)

Stop giving "advice". Seriously, just stop. The above statement is rediculous.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Unless you have existing kidney problems you can view protein as a minimum, not a limit. Most people have trouble getting enough.

enough for what? most people eat more protein than they need (in the United States at least)
    Since we are on MFP you might consider that I am talking about those on a calorie deficit.
    There have also been studies posted here which I read that shows as you age, an increased protein intake can help slow loss of lean body mass, just like for those on a deficit.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Protein seems to be an emotional issue. There is no final word on how much protein is good for you personally. If your diet is working for you, and you're not a bodybuilder or an athlete, I'd stick with it.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    So I've recently jumped back on the bandwagon with MFP and noticed that my Protein has been over EVERYDAY as much as 20g! I eat the same thing for breakfast everyday - 1 hard boiled egg and a greek yogurt, almost the same thing for lunch too - a grilled chicken salad. And after these 2 meals I'm almost at my dailey goal of 54g. My protein is mainly lean...so my question for the group is IS TOO MUCH PROTEIN BAD FOR ME? WHY IS IT BAD? WHAT DOES THE EXTRA PROTEIN DO FOR ME. Thanks group.

no. you are completely wrong. Protein itself does not get converted to fat. There has been alot of talk over this.
    Protein has about a 25-30% TEF just to become metabolized by the body.
    that means it is actually about 3 calories rather than 4.
    Even then excess protein has to be converted to glucose if it cannot be stored.
    that take up more calories. glucogensis
    glucose to be converted to fat takes additional calories.
    no human can take enough protein for this to be an issue.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition/excess-protein-and-fat-storage-qa.html

Foods with high protein usually contain a high satiety index. meaning they are more fulling calorie for calorie than the other food groups.

You should understand basic physiology before you start talking about stuff like this because you are spreading false information
  • mistesh
    mistesh Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I'd focus on the micronutrient quality of your diet, not the macronutrient density. Protein is a macronutrient.

"Despite consuming almost twice as many calories (macronutrients) as we need, fewer than 18% of adults and 2% of children consume the minimum daily requirements of micronutrients recommended."

http://www.diseaseproof.com/archives/healthy-food-food-scoring-guide-unnatural-foods.html

"With the traditional Western diet, the average American consumes about double the protein her or his body needs. Additionally, the main sources of protein consumed tend to be animal products, which are also high in fat and saturated fat."

http://www.pcrm.org/search/?cid=251
  • lovesweetlove
    Options

I've also been told by a dietician at my work that the goal MFP sets for me is low. A bootcamp trainer I had one said to eat as many grams as your goal weight. So if I want to weigh 130, I should eat 130g protein. (Without a shake, it's near impossible)
  • DatMurse
    Options
    I'd focus on the micronutrient quality of your diet, not the macronutrient density. Protein is a macronutrient.

"Despite consuming almost twice as many calories (macronutrients) as we need, fewer than 18% of adults and 2% of children consume the minimum daily requirements of micronutrients recommended."

http://www.diseaseproof.com/archives/healthy-food-food-scoring-guide-unnatural-foods.html

"With the traditional Western diet, the average American consumes about double the protein her or his body needs. Additionally, the main sources of protein consumed tend to be animal products, which are also high in fat and saturated fat."

http://www.pcrm.org/search/?cid=251

please do not send articles in without a proper reference put in them. might as well have typed it up yourself.

The average american doesnt move as much. The protein intake is high because of the type of food but that is not the actual cause.

saturated fat is also not as much of the enemy as people claim for it to be. inactivity is a bigger problem with america vs europe
    People may eat more protein in the US but they also have a higher energy in>energy out
    along with lack of physical activity.

you cannot compare both worlds soley on one factor.
    that is why that article is severely flawed

http://www.simplyshredded.com/protein-intake-how-much-protein-should-you-consume-and-what-does-the-research-really-say.html

this article is written by someone who is working on his masters in nutrition and has references down below on the safety and optimal protein for normal individuals and athletes
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Protein is about like sex.

More is almost always a good thing and you can't have too much of it unless you take it to absolutely silly proportions.
  • Goal_Driven
    Goal_Driven Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Protein is awesome! Eat more.
  • 07732k4y
    07732k4y Posts: 4
    Options
    Protein is good.
    I usually grab some grapefruits or kiwis cause they seem to help digesting protein.
    certainly people get fat everywhere (not only in States) if eating too much of everything: protein, starch, sugar, fat, booze.

BUT, there is a little detail about why people go low carb.

First of all, protein makes us feel full more then carbs do. And secondly fast carbs play pranks with our blood sugar and insulin levels.

I can keep myself in a decent shape easier on more protein, a bit of (healthy) fat+slow carbs - about 1800 cal/day

The weird thing is if I stay on the same 1800 cal a day of MARS BARS AND DOUGHNUTS, I get fatter and fatter.
    Because fast carbs raise blood sugar levels too fast, and high blood sugar levels make people gain more weight.

On top of that, if these fast carbs are eaten at the same time with fat and protein... fat and protein ends up in wrong places of my body.

So if I am dying for a fast sugar, like honey, I eat it separately from fats and protein, so even raised blood sugar would not contribute to a weight gain.
    I allow myself fast carbs to get an energy kick when I exercise, and when I burn it all off I eat some protein because it is more filling.
    And every time I eat something fatty, like salmon or a steak i eat it with slow carbs and a lot of fiber, such as spinach, broccoli, or green salads.

I have been trying all sorts of eating pattern and this seems to fit me the best.

But it is certainly individual for everyone. I suppose my problem is jumping sugar, so in order to stay fit I need to look after my blood sugar levels, and protein+slow carbs seem to be the best for me.

Absolutely cant to go on the very low calorie diet, because then I become tired and depressed and stop exercising, so it works other way around.
  • 07732k4y
    07732k4y Posts: 4
    Options

Sorry, but the FDA doesn't give a rat's *kitten* about your health or feelings. It recommends what's good for the government's finances, not you.

ahahah so true
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    MFP sets protein too low. To set your macros, check out this link: 

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/911011-calculating-calorie-macronutrient-needs?page=1#posts-13821336

Also, it's hard to have too much protein. 

"It has been observed that the human liver cannot safely metabolise much more than 285-365 g of protein per day (for an 80 kg person), and human kidneys are similarly limited in their capability to remove urea (a byproduct of protein catabolism) from the bloodstream. Exceeding that amount results in excess levels of amino acids, ammonia (hyperammonemia), and/or urea in the bloodstream, with potentially fatal consequences,[1] especially if the person switches to a high-protein diet without giving time for the levels of his or her hepatic enzymes to upregulate. Since protein only contains 4 kcal/gram, and a typical adult human requires in excess of 1900 kcal to maintain the energy balance, it is possible to exceed the safe intake of protein if one is subjected to a high-protein diet with little or no fat or carbohydrates. However, given the lack of scientific data on the effects of high-protein diets, and the observed ability of the liver to compensate over a few days for a shift in protein intake, the US Food and Nutrition Board does not set a Tolerable Upper Limit nor upper Acceptable Macronutrient Distribution Range for protein.[2] Furthermore, medical sources such as UpToDate[3] do not include listings on this topic." 

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbit_starvation
  • DatMurse
    Options
    MFP sets protein too low. To set your macros, check out this link: 

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/911011-calculating-calorie-macronutrient-needs?page=1#posts-13821336

Also, it's hard to have too much protein. 

"It has been observed that the human liver cannot safely metabolise much more than 285-365 g of protein per day (for an 80 kg person), and human kidneys are similarly limited in their capability to remove urea (a byproduct of protein catabolism) from the bloodstream. Exceeding that amount results in excess levels of amino acids, ammonia (hyperammonemia), and/or urea in the bloodstream, with potentially fatal consequences,[1] especially if the person switches to a high-protein diet without giving time for the levels of his or her hepatic enzymes to upregulate. Since protein only contains 4 kcal/gram, and a typical adult human requires in excess of 1900 kcal to maintain the energy balance, it is possible to exceed the safe intake of protein if one is subjected to a high-protein diet with little or no fat or carbohydrates. However, given the lack of scientific data on the effects of high-protein diets, and the observed ability of the liver to compensate over a few days for a shift in protein intake, the US Food and Nutrition Board does not set a Tolerable Upper Limit nor upper Acceptable Macronutrient Distribution Range for protein.[2] Furthermore, medical sources such as UpToDate[3] do not include listings on this topic." 

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbit_starvation

no. That is a BS observation. They consumed nothing but rabbit in the cold. no other forms of nutrients for a prolonged period of time.

It isnt research so I do not know what you are talking about.

Regardless there are people who do PSMF and do not die.

it is based around pretty much pure protein with no fat or carbohydrates. pretty much meaning no other forms of micronutrients.
    There is nothing about this happening to anyone else

Please do not use wikipedia is a credible source for linking research because it is not.
  • ClassicStyles
    Options

You need a new nutritionist. This statement is absolutely false.
  • marciebrian
    marciebrian Posts: 853 Member
    Options

:noway: FAIL :noway:

Agreed! first point is that MFP does NOT have all the right #'s. It has my plain broiled chicken at 1100 grams of sodium??? really??? so focus on the calories and don't worry about excess proteins.