Too Much Protein

Options

Replies

• twelfty
    twelfty Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    not to mention protein is generally low in calories anyway,

the reason america is overweight is they eat too much of everything, in particular carbs, and unhealthy fats, if americans were to eat more protein and less of the other two they probably wouldn't be overweight

Calories per gram of carb: 4

Calories per gram of protein: 4

....ok i'll rephrase it... high protein foods are generally low in calories eg: 150g of chicken breast is about 250 calories, 150g of sugar is about 600.... god you're pedantic.....

long_facepalm_zps078c9d98.gif
  • selina884
    selina884 Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    Your protein target is ridiculously low anyway so I wouldn't worry too much about it.
  • selina884
    Options
    not to mention protein is generally low in calories anyway,

the reason america is overweight is they eat too much of everything, in particular carbs, and unhealthy fats, if americans were to eat more protein and less of the other two they probably wouldn't be overweight

Calories per gram of carb: 4

Calories per gram of protein: 4

....ok i'll rephrase it... high protein foods are generally low in calories eg: 150g of chicken breast is about 250 calories, 150g of sugar is about 600.... god you're pedantic.....

long_facepalm_zps078c9d98.gif

Yes!
  • selina884
    Options
    So I've recently jumped back on the bandwagon with MFP and noticed that my Protein has been over EVERYDAY as much as 20g! I eat the same thing for breakfast everyday - 1 hard boiled egg and a greek yogurt, almost the same thing for lunch too - a grilled chicken salad. And after these 2 meals I'm almost at my dailey goal of 54g. My protein is mainly lean...so my question for the group is IS TOO MUCH PROTEIN BAD FOR ME? WHY IS IT BAD? WHAT DOES THE EXTRA PROTEIN DO FOR ME. Thanks group.

I learned this is nutrition! Extra protein is the cause of weight gain in America, definitely BUT ONLY IF YOU AREN'T KEEPING ACTIVE! There is so much food that gives way too much protein and most people never knew it was bad, but they also weren't USING any of the protein they were consuming. Protein likes to store in your body in excess amounts and can be harmful to your body but if you are keeping active and using that extra protein then it will actually help your weight loss. So if you want to keep eating what you are eating, just go for a run or strength train and it will help you instead of harm you :)

erm no. Extra calories are the cause of weight gain in America.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    I learned this is nutrition! Extra protein is the cause of weight gain in America, definitely BUT ONLY IF YOU AREN'T KEEPING ACTIVE! There is so much food that gives way too much protein and most people never knew it was bad, but they also weren't USING any of the protein they were consuming. Protein likes to store in your body in excess amounts and can be harmful to your body but if you are keeping active and using that extra protein then it will actually help your weight loss. So if you want to keep eating what you are eating, just go for a run or strength train and it will help you instead of harm you :)

Excess of calories is what causes weight gain in America and any other country.Whether those excess calories come from protein, fats, carbs, or alcohol is irrelevant.

Extra protein won't actually help your weight loss (only that in that your body has to work minutely harder to break it down but that will have minimal results on overall weight loss.) What it will do is help to preserve existing muscle tissue.

But yes, OP, you're fine. Keep eating your protein unless you have a medical reason to not do so.

This. Although it can sort of help with weight loss as it keeps you feeling full for longer.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Calories above your maintenance will make you fat, whatever the macro. Obviously with protein the TEF means you can actually eat more and less be stored as it takes up to 1/3 of the energy to convert to glucose, blood sugar.

However your body limits how much protein most of us can eat - try eating 300g of steak every few hours and tell me you don't feel stuff. Do the same with haribo or similar sweet carbs and I'm sure you will come back saying you're starving with the harbio and full to feeling sick with the steak.

Same with fats, eat too much, you WILL throw up.
  • twelfty
    twelfty Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Calories above your maintenance will make you fat, whatever the macro. Obviously with protein the TEF means you can actually eat more and less be stored as it takes up to 1/3 of the energy to convert to glucose, blood sugar.

However your body limits how much protein most of us can eat - try eating 300g of steak every few hours and tell me you don't feel stuff. Do the same with haribo or similar sweet carbs and I'm sure you will come back saying you're starving with the harbio and full to feeling sick with the steak.

i agree but i can eat 300g of steak easy lol :D
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    From my studies of obese Americans, one pattern I've noticed is that they all have heads. Many of them have legs, too. Just saying.
  • TriShamelessly
    TriShamelessly Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    If you are active, especially if you are lifting weights, most will tell you to aim for 1 g of Protein per 1 lb of body weight. Protein alone will not make you fat. Excess calories will make you fat.

This a hundred times over.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options

Read it again - 300g of steak every few hours - COOKED weight, not precooked weight.

Anyone can eat 300g steak once. Eating anything once won't make you fat. Repeatedly, is the problem.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    From my studies of obese Americans, one pattern I've noticed is that they all have heads. Many of them have legs, too. Just saying.
    England is not too far behind. you shouldnt talk
  • DatMurse
    Options

Read it again - 300g of steak every few hours - COOKED weight, not precooked weight.

Anyone can eat 300g steak once. Eating anything once won't make you fat. Repeatedly, is the problem.

due to the satiety index of meat i dont think that is a good comparison.

better yet try to down 15 scoops of whey protein

FYI the thermic effect of protein ranges from 25-30%. that is before it is metabolized into glucose.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I would like to think that the correct amount of protein is dependent on the person's lifestyle and activity. I think, for a sedentary person, maybe too much protein could prove detrimental, but for someone who is active and strength training, I would imagine it is beneficial. I ate less protein, more carbs when I was less active, and now I find myself craving more protein now I strength train and workout most days. I get between 80 and 120 g per day.
  • DatMurse
    Options
    I would like to think that the correct amount of protein is dependent on the person's lifestyle and activity. I think, for a sedentary person, maybe too much protein could prove detrimental, but for someone who is active and strength training, I would imagine it is beneficial. I ate less protein, more carbs when I was less active, and now I find myself craving more protein now I strength train and workout most days. I get between 80 and 120 g per day.

no
    it isnt.
    i would like to know how its detrimental.

what information do you have to present such a statement?
  • Admiral_Derp
    Admiral_Derp Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mjmeot6Wbv1rqf5p6o5_400.gif

Can we please stop saying stupid crap like " [The thing your preferred guru doesn't like.] is the reason people in [insert country] are obese?" There are VASTLY more factors contributing to obesity than a type of food, or macro-nutrient. I would even go so far as to say that eating too much, alone isn't the factor. People are also often sedentary, have genetic factors, are on medications, are dealing with socio-economic issues, etc. All of which COMBINED play a role in the obesity epidemic. This over-generalized, reductionist, nonsense does nothing to contribute to any kind of reasonable solution. And it makes you sound dumb.

tumblr_lyrw9lw9A51qe2tt8.gif
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options

no
    it isnt.

It is no wonder so many here do not freely express their thoughts here if people like you feel a need to turn it into a fully backed up dissertation, complete with references. I feel no obligation to give you any information, I shall give my thoughts and views and suggestions freely as I wish, and you can think what you like. Seriously, get a life. Not everyone here is totally obsessed about being 'right'. If you do your own research, you will find plenty of studies out there suggesting that too much protein is detrimental to health, the same as you could equally find research suggesting it is not. Thus, it is pointless arguing about such things over the net.
  • DatMurse
    Options

no
    it isnt.

It is no wonder so many here do not freely express their thoughts here if people like you feel a need to turn it into a fully backed up dissertation, complete with references. I feel no obligation to give you any information, I shall give my thoughts and views and suggestions freely as I wish, and you can think what you like. Seriously, get a life. Not everyone here is totally obsessed about being 'right'. If you do your own research, you will find plenty of studies out there suggesting that too much protein is detrimental to health, the same as you could equally find research suggesting it is not. Thus, it is pointless arguing about such things over the net.

the previous studies that showed that protein was detrimental to your health was based off of following the increase of glomuler filtration rate in the kidneys.

Medical professionals do not use GFR to test kidney function and that is how the study was heavily flawed.

The research you are talking about is wrong.

Results of several recent studies show that high-protein, low-carbohydrate weight loss diets indeed have their benefits. However, agencies such as the American Heart Association (AHA) have some concerns about possible health risks. The purpose of this review is to evaluate the scientific validity of AHA Nutrition Committee's statement on dietary protein and weight reduction (St. Jeor ST et al. Circulation 2001;104:1869–1874), which states: "Individuals who follow these [high-protein] diets are risk for ... potential cardiac, renal, bone, and liver abnormalities overall. Simply stated, there is no scientific evidence whatsoever that high-protein intake has adverse effects on liver function. Relative to renal function, there are no data in the scientific literature demonstrating that healthy kidneys are damaged by the increased demands of protein consumed in quantities 2–3 times above the Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA). In contrast with the earlier hypothesis that high-protein intake promotes osteoporosis, some epidemiological studies found a positive association between protein intake and bone mineral density. Further, recent studies studies suggest, at least in the short term, that RDA for protein (0.8 g/kg) does not support normal calcium homeostasis. Finally, a negative correlation has been shown between protein intake and systolic and diastolic blood pressures in several epidemiological surveys. In conclusion, there is little if any scientific evidence supporting above mentioned statement. Certainly, such public warnings should be based on a thorough analysis of the scientific literature, not unsubstantiated fears and misrepresentations. For individuals with normal renal function, the risks are minimal and must be balanced against the real and established risk of continued obesity.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

no
    it isnt.

There is a difference between expressing a thought and saying something like what you did without facts to present. This is how bro-science gets spread around. Someone expresses an opinion or thought and suddenly BAM. A bunch of people run with it and try to pass it off as fact.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mjmeot6Wbv1rqf5p6o5_400.gif

Can we please stop saying stupid crap like " [The thing your preferred guru doesn't like.] is the reason people in [insert country] are obese?" There are VASTLY more factors contributing to obesity than a type of food, or macro-nutrient. I would even go so far as to say that eating too much, alone isn't the factor. People are also often sedentary, have genetic factors, are on medications, are dealing with socio-economic issues, etc. All of which COMBINED play a role in the obesity epidemic. This over-generalized, reductionist, nonsense does nothing to contribute to any kind of reasonable solution. And it makes you sound dumb.

tumblr_lyrw9lw9A51qe2tt8.gif

Applause-gif-tumblr-i8.gif