Clean vs. Junk - does it really matter?

Options

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Rice @ taco bell:

Rice (Raw): Enriched Precooked Parboiled Long Grain Rice [Rice, Niacin, Ferric Orthophosphate (Iron), Thiamine Mononitrate (Thiamine), Folic Acid]. Seasoning: Maltodextrin, Salt, Tomato Powder, Potassium Chloride, Spices, Dehydrated Onion, Yeast Extract, Dehydrated Tomatoes, Citric Acid, Extractives Of Paprika (Color), Paprika (Color), Dehydrated Green Bell Pepper, Dehydrated Red Bell Pepper, Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, Disodium Inosinate, Disodium Guanylate, Garlic Extractives (Contains Modified Corn Starch, Corn Syrup Solids), Onion Extractives (Contains Onion Powder, Modified Corn Starch, Corn Syrup Solids, Trehalose), Natural Flavors, And Less Than 2% Silicon Dioxide Added To Prevent Caking. Oil: High-Oleic Low-Linolenic Canola Oil, TBHQ (To Protect Flavor), Dimethylpolysiloxane (An Antifoaming Agent).

my rice?

Rice.

that's it.

That's not just rice, it's the cilantro rice with seasoning.

Again: pick out the terrible ingredients that are bad for your health.

every one that isn't cilantro, lime, or rice.

Oh, so:

Garlic powder
    Onion powder
    Salt
    Tomato
    Yeast
    Bell pepper
    Maltodextrin
    Niacin
    Thiamine

Roger. All terrible and will kill you.

missed the edit quick draw

Thaimine and niacin are bad? You should edit to include those.

Here's what's left after we remove the cilantro, lime, rice, spice, and vitamins/minerals:

maltodextrin
    silicon dioxide
    TBHQ
    Dimethylpolysiloxane

That's it. Everything else is rice, a spice, or a vitamin or mineral.

These four ingredients are apparently what makes the rice "junk." Which one, specifically, is so incredibly bad fo ryou?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Rice @ taco bell:

Rice (Raw): Enriched Precooked Parboiled Long Grain Rice [Rice, Niacin, Ferric Orthophosphate (Iron), Thiamine Mononitrate (Thiamine), Folic Acid]. Seasoning: Maltodextrin, Salt, Tomato Powder, Potassium Chloride, Spices, Dehydrated Onion, Yeast Extract, Dehydrated Tomatoes, Citric Acid, Extractives Of Paprika (Color), Paprika (Color), Dehydrated Green Bell Pepper, Dehydrated Red Bell Pepper, Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, Disodium Inosinate, Disodium Guanylate, Garlic Extractives (Contains Modified Corn Starch, Corn Syrup Solids), Onion Extractives (Contains Onion Powder, Modified Corn Starch, Corn Syrup Solids, Trehalose), Natural Flavors, And Less Than 2% Silicon Dioxide Added To Prevent Caking. Oil: High-Oleic Low-Linolenic Canola Oil, TBHQ (To Protect Flavor), Dimethylpolysiloxane (An Antifoaming Agent).

my rice?

Rice.

that's it.

I actually do not like most fast food and basically do not eat it as I do not think it tastes good and also, not eating meat leaves me limited anyway - but you are using a bit of a strawman here - yours sounds boring..who eats just rice (maybe you do)? Do you not season it or put a sauce on it? Legit question.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    Rice @ taco bell:

my rice?

Rice.

that's it.

Oh, so:

Garlic powder
    Onion powder
    Salt
    Tomato
    Yeast
    Bell pepper
    Maltodextrin
    Niacin
    Thiamine

Here's what's left after we remove the cilantro, lime, rice, spice, and vitamins/minerals:

maltodextrin
    silicon dioxide
    TBHQ
    Dimethylpolysiloxane

These four ingredients are apparently what makes the rice "junk." Which one, specifically, is so incredibly bad fo ryou?

First, include the vitamins and minerals as junk. Fortified V+M have significantly lower bio-availability than the real thing

Secondly -

TBHQ:
    Consuming high doses (between 1 and 4 grams) of TBHQ can cause nausea, delirium, collapse, tinnitus (ringing in the ears), and vomiting. There are also suggestions that it may lead to hyperactivity in children as well as asthma, rhinitis and dermatitis. It may also further aggravate ADHD symptoms and cause restlessness. Long term, high doses of TBHQ in laboratory animals have shown a tendency for them to develop cancerous precursors in their stomachs, as well as cause DNA damage to them. It is also suggested that it may be responsible for affecting estrogen levels in women.

Now obviously we're not talking about high doses here, but why the hell put that stuff in your system if there are better alternatives???

Also, if Dimethylpolysiloxane works to keep rice from caking, what's it going to do to your gut? I don't know, but personally I'd rather not find out. That's just me though.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

This article is from the Journal of the American Society of Nephrology. It is entitled, "Uric Acid, the Metabolic Syndrome and Renal Disease" http://jasn.asnjournals.org/content/17/12_suppl_3/S165.full

From the article: "...Recently, uric acid also was found to have a causal role in the metabolic syndrome that was induced experimentally by fructose (38). Fructose rapidly raises uric acid as a consequence of activation of fructokinase with ATP consumption, intracellular phosphate depletion, and stimulation of AMP deaminase (39). Lowering uric acid in fructose-fed rats ameliorates much of the metabolic syndrome, including a reduction in BP, serum triglycerides, hyperinsulinemia, and weight gain (38). The rise in uric acid after fructose ingestion likely has a significant role in inducing insulin resistance via its effect to lower nitric oxide (35) and also possibly by a direct effect of uric acid on the adipocytes (Sautin et al., submitted).

In turn, fructose intake correlates well with the recent rise in the epidemic of metabolic syndrome, diabetes, hypertension, and kidney disease (40). Fructose constitutes 50% of table sugar and also is a major component in high-fructose corn syrup, which is used in the United States as a sweetener. Intake of fructose has increased markedly in the past few decades and correlates with the rising rates of metabolic syndrome...."

In a related area, here is a link to the proceedings of a "Food Addiction Summit" held several years ago. The list of presenters was pretty impressive. Sugar consumption was cited by a number of the researchers as a large part of the problem. http://www.foodaddictionsummit.org/index.htm

is associated with progressive renal disease in humans.
    You have to already have it

That study fed rats 60% fructose.
    on a 3000 calorie diet that is 450g of straight fructose a day. for 6 straight months

If you ate 450g of fructose a day for 6 months
    you deserve to have diabetes.

as I said.
    please interpret the study before you post garbage

Well, duh. The reason why they gave the rats high doses of fructose is because the rats have the uricase enzyme (humans do not--they have the gene for it but it is non-functional). In order to get the rats to produce high levels of uric acid, they had to either overdose them on fructose or suppress the uricase enzyme. They chose to overdose them on fructose and raise the level of uric acid to what would be an equivalent level in a human with a much lower dose of fructose. You don't know what you are talking about. (And, you are behaving in a fairly obnoxious fashion.)

Out of interest, what would that dose equate to in a human?
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    Rice @ taco bell:

my rice?

Rice.

that's it.

I actually do not like most fast food and basically do not eat it as I do not think it tastes good and also, not eating meat leaves me limited anyway - but you are using a bit of a strawman here - yours sounds boring..who eats just rice (maybe you do)? Do you not season it or put a sauce on it? Legit question.

I cook it in a bit of homemade bone broth. That's it.

The bone broth is gross chicken bits, bones, veggies and salt.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Rice @ taco bell:

my rice?

Rice.

that's it.

Oh, so:

Garlic powder
    Onion powder
    Salt
    Tomato
    Yeast
    Bell pepper
    Maltodextrin
    Niacin
    Thiamine

maltodextrin
    silicon dioxide
    TBHQ
    Dimethylpolysiloxane

First, include the vitamins and minerals as junk. Fortified V+M have significantly lower bio-availability than the real thing

Secondly -

TBHQ:
    Consuming high doses (between 1 and 4 grams) of TBHQ can cause nausea, delirium, collapse, tinnitus (ringing in the ears), and vomiting. There are also suggestions that it may lead to hyperactivity in children as well as asthma, rhinitis and dermatitis. It may also further aggravate ADHD symptoms and cause restlessness. Long term, high doses of TBHQ in laboratory animals have shown a tendency for them to develop cancerous precursors in their stomachs, as well as cause DNA damage to them. It is also suggested that it may be responsible for affecting estrogen levels in women.

Now obviously we're not talking about high doses here, but why the hell put that stuff in your system if there are better alternatives???

Also, if Dimethylpolysiloxane works to keep rice from caking, what's it going to do to your gut? I don't know, but personally I'd rather not find out. That's just me though.

1 and 4 grams?

Consuming between 1 and 4 grams of many essential nutrients will outright kill you.

Dose is important.

Again, the point is that none of this stuff will kill you, none of it is making your skin or hair look worse, none of it is sapping your energy levels, and none of it is making your body hold onto fat or mass or anything like that.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    Rice @ taco bell:

my rice?

Rice.

that's it.

Oh, so:

Garlic powder
    Onion powder
    Salt
    Tomato
    Yeast
    Bell pepper
    Maltodextrin
    Niacin
    Thiamine

maltodextrin
    silicon dioxide
    TBHQ
    Dimethylpolysiloxane

Secondly -

TBHQ:

1 and 4 grams?

Consuming between 1 and 4 grams of many essential nutrients will outright kill you.

Dose is important.

absolutely. that's why I said that! :wink:

but butane isn't really an essential nutrient now is it?
    Tertiary Butylhydroquinone, or TBHQ as it is more commonly referred to as, is in fact a chemical preservative which is a form of butane. It is used in foodstuffs to delay the onset of rancidness and greatly extends the storage life of foods. It's no wonder that certain fast foods and convenience foods seem to last a lifetime on the shelf these days.

The FDA allows amounts of up to 0.02% of the total oils in food to be TBHQ. This may not sound like a lot, but it does tend to make one wonder why there needs to be a limit on the amount if it is apparently a 'harmless additive.' Mind you, anything which derives its origins from butane could hardly be classified as safe, no matter how small the dose.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

See...that makes me gag....:tongue: I get that there is nothing wrong with it..but...never been much of a fan of rice anyway.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    but butane isn't really an essential nutrient now is it?
    Tertiary Butylhydroquinone, or TBHQ as it is more commonly referred to as, is in fact a chemical preservative which is a form of butane. It is used in foodstuffs to delay the onset of rancidness and greatly extends the storage life of foods. It's no wonder that certain fast foods and convenience foods seem to last a lifetime on the shelf these days.

The FDA allows amounts of up to 0.02% of the total oils in food to be TBHQ. This may not sound like a lot, but it does tend to make one wonder why there needs to be a limit on the amount if it is apparently a 'harmless additive.' Mind you, anything which derives its origins from butane could hardly be classified as safe, no matter how small the dose.

TBHQ is not a form of butane. That's so far from the truth it's laughable. Butane is a 4-carbon saturated hydrocarbon. TBHQ has an aromatic ring and two hydroxyl groups. They bear absolutely nothing in common.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Again, the point is that none of this stuff will kill you, none of it is making your skin or hair look worse, none of it is sapping your energy levels, and none of it is making your body hold onto fat or mass or anything like that.

but we also don't KNOW it doesn't have negative effects when ingested daily for 50 years.

however we do know that large quantities of the chemicals found in fast food can do horrible things to your body, so why risk it?
  • CoachReddy
    Options

See...that makes me gag....:tongue: I get that there is nothing wrong with it..but...never been much of a fan of rice anyway.

haha that's fine, everyone has different tastes. I don't do rice all that often either these days. but bone broth actually tastes awesome :happy:
  • jonnythan
    Options
    BTW, the number .02% comes from applying a 100-fold safety factor above the "lowest dose shown to have any effect whatsoever" as tested on dogs, which are recognized as an especially sensitive species.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options

This article is from the Journal of the American Society of Nephrology. It is entitled, "Uric Acid, the Metabolic Syndrome and Renal Disease" http://jasn.asnjournals.org/content/17/12_suppl_3/S165.full

From the article: "...Recently, uric acid also was found to have a causal role in the metabolic syndrome that was induced experimentally by fructose (38). Fructose rapidly raises uric acid as a consequence of activation of fructokinase with ATP consumption, intracellular phosphate depletion, and stimulation of AMP deaminase (39). Lowering uric acid in fructose-fed rats ameliorates much of the metabolic syndrome, including a reduction in BP, serum triglycerides, hyperinsulinemia, and weight gain (38). The rise in uric acid after fructose ingestion likely has a significant role in inducing insulin resistance via its effect to lower nitric oxide (35) and also possibly by a direct effect of uric acid on the adipocytes (Sautin et al., submitted).

In turn, fructose intake correlates well with the recent rise in the epidemic of metabolic syndrome, diabetes, hypertension, and kidney disease (40). Fructose constitutes 50% of table sugar and also is a major component in high-fructose corn syrup, which is used in the United States as a sweetener. Intake of fructose has increased markedly in the past few decades and correlates with the rising rates of metabolic syndrome...."

In a related area, here is a link to the proceedings of a "Food Addiction Summit" held several years ago. The list of presenters was pretty impressive. Sugar consumption was cited by a number of the researchers as a large part of the problem. http://www.foodaddictionsummit.org/index.htm

is associated with progressive renal disease in humans.
    You have to already have it

That study fed rats 60% fructose.
    on a 3000 calorie diet that is 450g of straight fructose a day. for 6 straight months

If you ate 450g of fructose a day for 6 months
    you deserve to have diabetes.

as I said.
    please interpret the study before you post garbage

Well, duh. The reason why they gave the rats high doses of fructose is because the rats have the uricase enzyme (humans do not--they have the gene for it but it is non-functional). In order to get the rats to produce high levels of uric acid, they had to either overdose them on fructose or suppress the uricase enzyme. They chose to overdose them on fructose and raise the level of uric acid to what would be an equivalent level in a human with a much lower dose of fructose. You don't know what you are talking about. (And, you are behaving in a fairly obnoxious fashion.)
    no
    you are obnoxious
    you are creating a straw man arguement and showing studies of over 30 years of age

you are talking about the effects of fructose on rates who have an enzyme that humans do not have.

Even when they talked about humans and the intake of fructose and the amount that is "unsafe"
    they talked about 135g of fructose.
    thats 5-6 non diet soft drinks

btw new research is against it. this is from a year ago
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22723585
    Isocaloric exchange of fructose for other carbohydrate improves long-term glycemic control, as assessed by glycated blood proteins, without affecting insulin in people with diabetes. Generalizability may be limited because most of the trials were <12 weeks and had relatively low MQS (<8). To confirm these findings, larger and longer fructose feeding trials assessing both possible glycemic benefit and adverse metabolic effects are required.
    did not affect insulin vs other carbohydrates
    Hyperuricemia is linked to gout and features of metabolic syndrome. There is concern that dietary fructose may increase uric acid concentrations. To assess the effects of fructose on serum uric acid concentrations in people with and without diabetes, we conducted a systematic review and meta-analysis of controlled feeding trials. We searched MEDLINE, EMBASE, and the Cochrane Library for relevant trials (through August 19, 2011). Analyses included all controlled feeding trials ≥ 7 d investigating the effect of fructose feeding on uric acid under isocaloric conditions, where fructose was isocalorically exchanged with other carbohydrate, or hypercaloric conditions, and where a control diet was supplemented with excess energy from fructose. Data were aggregated by the generic inverse variance method using random effects models and expressed as mean difference (MD) with 95% CI. Heterogeneity was assessed by the Q statistic and quantified by I(2). A total of 21 trials in 425 participants met the eligibility criteria. Isocaloric exchange of fructose for other carbohydrate did not affect serum uric acid in diabetic and nondiabetic participants [MD = 0.56 μmol/L (95% CI: -6.62, 7.74)], with no evidence of inter-study heterogeneity. Hypercaloric supplementation of control diets with fructose (+35% excess energy) at extreme doses (213-219 g/d) significantly increased serum uric acid compared with the control diets alone in nondiabetic participants [MD = 31.0 mmol/L (95% CI: 15.4, 46.5)] with no evidence of heterogeneity. Confounding from excess energy cannot be ruled out in the hypercaloric trials. These analyses do not support a uric acid-increasing effect of isocaloric fructose intake in nondiabetic and diabetic participants. Hypercaloric fructose intake may, however, increase uric acid concentrations. The effect of the interaction of energy and fructose remains unclear. Larger, well-designed trials of fructose feeding at "real world" doses are needed.
    in regards to diabetes. that means that for isocaloric diets it did not affect the uric acid level vs other diets. in extreme doses it did.
    but who would even have 213g of fructose?
    as i said. if you took in that much you deserve diabetes or renal problems

you are still spamming blasphemy. please stop cause you are wrong
  • jonnythan
    Options

but we also don't KNOW it doesn't have negative effects when ingested daily for 50 years.

however we do know that large quantities of the chemicals found in fast food can do horrible things to your body, so why risk it?

See, this is what I'm talking about. You're saying "well we just DON't KNOW."

That's very different from the claims you and others normally make when these discussions start, which amount to "you will look better, feel better, and have better results if you avoid these things."
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    BTW, the number .02% comes from applying a 100-fold safety factor above the "lowest dose shown to have any effect whatsoever" as tested on dogs, which are recognized as an especially sensitive species.

hey man, when it comes to potential carcinogens, I treat myself as an especially sensitive species because frankly, I'm the only species I give a damn about. :tongue:
  • CoachReddy
    Options

That's very different from the claims you and others normally make when these discussions start, which amount to "you will look better, feel better, and have better results if you avoid these things."

NO - you will look better, feel better and have better results if you eat "clean" whole foods.

If you skip the taco bell for a lean cuisine, you're doing yourself zero favors.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    you will look better, feel better and have better results if you eat "clean" whole foods.

This is a statement 100% unsupported by any evidence at all.

That's the simple truth. I know you will never accept that, but other people need to realize that.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    you will look better, feel better and have better results if you eat "clean" whole foods.

This is a statement 100% unsupported by any evidence at all.

That's the simple truth. I know you will never accept that, but other people need to realize that.

yeah... there's support. plenty of it.

Unless.......... unless all the doctors in the world, the FDA, the USDA, Weston Price, Dr. Mercola and Andrew Weil are actually all in cahoots? Say it ain't so!
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options

NO - you will look better, feel better and have better results if you eat "clean" whole foods.

If you skip the taco bell for a lean cuisine, you're doing yourself zero favors.
    lol lean cuisine
  • jonnythan
    Options

And here's the real kicker: the vast majority of people who are overweight from poor food decisions, who try to get healthy by eating better and exercising, are better served by my advice than yours.

Why? Because when people think they need to switch to 100% "clean" eating or whatever because people like you convince them that McDonald's and Taco Bell and Subway and whatever are so incredibly unhealthy, they cannot sustain that. They may do it for a while, but in most cases they just give up.

When people like you convince these others that they need to give up stuff they love in order to get healthy, they rarely do for any length of time. They end up going back to McDonald's one day and then the whole enterprise falls apart.

It's important that people understand how to make good, healthy choices instead of automatically demonizing entire brands for no good reason at all. The vast, vast majority of people will be much better equipped for sustained progress if they understand that, yes, they can eat ice cream and pop tarts and tacos sometimes. Your vitriol scares the bejesus out of them.