Clean vs. Junk - does it really matter?

Options

Replies

• VeinsAndBones
    VeinsAndBones Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Calories are calories regardless, however size and satiety come into play, ex: 1000 calories of cake is a LOT smaller and less filling than 1000 calories of vegetables
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    When I first came to this site, I saw some guy talking about how he had cupcakes that morning for breakfast. And another girl was talking about how she had cinnamon buns covered in frosting that morning. And now this guys health bar is all taco bell and junk? hahahahahah who can take it seriously

It's not a health bar. And if you could give one specific reason that, say, a chicken soft taco from Taco Bell is bad I'd love to hear it.
    Taco bell is total ****. I don't eat taco bell or any of the things you have listed. Nor would I go home and make the same thing and call it healthy. I do not eat fast food. So you don't really want to talk to me.

That's not really specific. Is it certain ingredients that are ****? Macro profiles? What?

Which part of the taco is ****? Is it the tortilla, the chicken, the lettuce, or the tomato?
    Its processed garbage I won't touch. You can however eat whatever you want. I do not eat fast food.

Which part? The tortilla, the chicken, the lettuce, or the tomato?

"Processed" doesn't mean bad. Whole wheat bread is processed. Butter is processed.

So what, specifically, is bad?

Tortilla: Enriched Bleached Wheat Flour (Flour, Malted Barley Flour, Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamine, Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Water, Ground Corn treated with Lime, Vegetable Oil (contains one or more of the following: Corn Oil, Soybean Oil) with TBHQ and Citric Acid (to preserve freshness), contains 2% or less of the following: Salt, Calcium Propionate and Potassium Sorbate (to preserve freshness), Furmaric Acid, Dough Conditioner. CONTAINS: WHEAT

Chicken: Chicken Breast with Rib Meat, Water, Seasoning (Onion Powder, Autolyzed Yeast Extract, Sugar, Salt, Dehydrated Garlic, Carrageenan, Seasoning [Tomatillo Flavor (Safflower Oil, Natural Flavor), Lemon Oil, Cilantro Flavor (Safflaower Oil, Natural Flavor)], Green Chili Pepper Powder, Dehydrated Parsley, Spice, Citric Acid, And Less Than 2% Soybean Oil And Silicon Dioxide Added As Processing Aids), Modified Food Starch, and Sodium Phosphates.

my homemade sandwich?

Chicken. Just chicken

Bread: Flour, Yeast, Salt, Water, maybe some whole grains.

Just sayin'
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    However, Sara, some DO advocate diets consisting primarily of "junk foods", and because you/magerum/etc align yourselves with them, it leads many to believe that you don't disagree with that.

I have not seen a single person who advocates a diet consisting primarily of junk food. You are setting up a straw man.

People like me do not advocate a diet consisting primarily of "junk food."

hey sara... this guy ^

and yeah jonny, ya do.

No, I absolutely do not, and in your zealous hatred of me you completely misunderstand everything I post and advocate.

I advocate a diet where the person sets appropriate macronutrient goals to achieve their desired results. How they get there really does not matter. I strongly encourage people to eat vegetables. I also encourage them to eat the foods they love, whatever those are, in ways that allow them to hit their macronutrient goals.

I also encourage people to eat fast food if they want. Fast food is not automatically junk. Grilled chicken sandwiches, tacos, broiled fish and shrimp, ice cream, and hamburgers are not junk food if they fit into your macronutrient profile, full stop. For some reason you think a grilled chicken sandwich from McD's is "junk food" but a grilled chicken sandwich you make at home is not, which makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

You have decided to hate me and everything you understand or interpret about what I say is completely, 100% irrational.

I don't hate you. Don't overreact. I like you actually - I just disagree with your nutritional stances. Which... is fine. :)

the grilled chicken sandwich I make at home comes from free range, antibiotic free chicken. the bread I used when I ate bread, was as minimally processed as possible and did not contain all the crap that mcdonalds buns do. there is literally NO comparison between a homemade chicken sandwich with good ingredients and a fast food chicken sandwich.

but look at your ticker dude? you are really going to tell me you don't advocate people eat fast food and ice cream, and that you don't brag about doing so every day yourself?

I put that stuff in the ticker to show that it's entirely possible to eat fast food, ice cream, etc in a manner consistent with health. People demonize fast food for no reason.

Look at the actual food I eat. Yes, I eat a lot of McDonald's and Taco Bell. Do you see what I order at those places? Last week I had a few McWraps. Do you know what's in a McWrap? I'll tell you:

Chicken fillet (grilled or fried)
    Lettuce
    Cucumber
    Tomato
    Sauce (ranch, garlic, or chili)

That's it. The chicken is whole breast meat. It's not processed. The lettuce is lettuce, the cucumber is just cucumber, and the tomato is just tomato.

There. That's a meal. The grilled chicken McWrap I had on Friday had 430 calories with 30g protein, 16g fat, and 42g carbs. Then I went to Red Lobster on Saturday. The dinner I ordered was broiled tilapia, shrimp scampi, and stuffed shrimp served with steamed broccoli. 610 calories, 61g protein, 30g fat. I added a couple of biscuits, a beer, and part of an appetizer to fill out the calorie needs I had for that day.

I went to Taco Bell on Sunday and got a Cantina Chicken Burrito Bowl. Rice, guacamole, chicken (whole meat chicken, mind you), black beans, corn pico, and some lime dressing. Had like 560 calories and 26g protein.

This is not junk food. It is fast food, but it is not junk food. The entire point is that it's possible to eat at places like McDonald's, Red Lobster, and Taco Bell within the confines of a healthy diet by making smart choices when eating at those places.

That's what all this is about. Eat the foods you love at the places you love, but in smart ways that fit into your actual food goals.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    When I first came to this site, I saw some guy talking about how he had cupcakes that morning for breakfast. And another girl was talking about how she had cinnamon buns covered in frosting that morning. And now this guys health bar is all taco bell and junk? hahahahahah who can take it seriously

It's not a health bar. And if you could give one specific reason that, say, a chicken soft taco from Taco Bell is bad I'd love to hear it.

Actually, I have to agree that Breyers is not the best...Talenti, Haagen Dazs or Ben & Jerry's is much better,

Talenti >> Breyer's. I chose Breyer's because I found a logo that worked better and most people don't know what Talenti is :laugh:
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    However, Sara, some DO advocate diets consisting primarily of "junk foods", and because you/magerum/etc align yourselves with them, it leads many to believe that you don't disagree with that.

I have not seen a single person who advocates a diet consisting primarily of junk food. You are setting up a straw man.

People like me do not advocate a diet consisting primarily of "junk food."

hey sara... this guy ^

and yeah jonny, ya do.

No, I absolutely do not, and in your zealous hatred of me you completely misunderstand everything I post and advocate.

I advocate a diet where the person sets appropriate macronutrient goals to achieve their desired results. How they get there really does not matter. I strongly encourage people to eat vegetables. I also encourage them to eat the foods they love, whatever those are, in ways that allow them to hit their macronutrient goals.

I also encourage people to eat fast food if they want. Fast food is not automatically junk. Grilled chicken sandwiches, tacos, broiled fish and shrimp, ice cream, and hamburgers are not junk food if they fit into your macronutrient profile, full stop. For some reason you think a grilled chicken sandwich from McD's is "junk food" but a grilled chicken sandwich you make at home is not, which makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

You have decided to hate me and everything you understand or interpret about what I say is completely, 100% irrational.

I don't hate you. Don't overreact. I like you actually - I just disagree with your nutritional stances. Which... is fine. :)

the grilled chicken sandwich I make at home comes from free range, antibiotic free chicken. the bread I used when I ate bread, was as minimally processed as possible and did not contain all the crap that mcdonalds buns do. there is literally NO comparison between a homemade chicken sandwich with good ingredients and a fast food chicken sandwich.

but look at your ticker dude? you are really going to tell me you don't advocate people eat fast food and ice cream, and that you don't brag about doing so every day yourself?

I put that stuff in the ticker to show that it's entirely possible to eat fast food, ice cream, etc in a manner consistent with health. People demonize fast food for no reason.

Look at the actual food I eat. Yes, I eat a lot of McDonald's and Taco Bell. Do you see what I order at those places? Last week I had a few McWraps. Do you know what's in a McWrap? I'll tell you:

Chicken fillet (grilled or fried)
    Lettuce
    Cucumber
    Tomato
    Sauce (ranch, garlic, or chili)

That's it. The chicken is whole breast meat. It's not processed. The lettuce is lettuce, the cucumber is just cucumber, and the tomato is just tomato.

There. That's a meal. The grilled chicken McWrap I had on Friday had 430 calories with 30g protein, 16g fat, and 42g carbs. Then I went to Red Lobster on Saturday. The dinner I ordered was broiled tilapia, shrimp scampi, and stuffed shrimp served with steamed broccoli. 610 calories, 61g protein, 30g fat. I added a couple of biscuits, a beer, and part of an appetizer to fill out the calorie needs I had for that day.

I went to Taco Bell on Sunday and got a Cantina Chicken Burrito Bowl. Rice, guacamole, chicken (whole meat chicken, mind you), black beans, corn pico, and some lime dressing. Had like 560 calories and 26g protein.

This is not junk food. It is fast food, but it is not junk food. The entire point is that it's possible to eat at places like McDonald's, Red Lobster, and Taco Bell within the confines of a healthy diet by making smart choices when eating at those places.

That's what all this is about. Eat the foods you love at the places you love, but in smart ways that fit into your actual food goals.

the fact that you really don't think it's junk food speaks volumes.
  • shosho420
    shosho420 Posts: 220 Member
    Options

Taco bell is total ****. I don't eat taco bell or any of the things you have listed. Nor would I go home and make the same thing and call it healthy. I do not eat fast food. So you don't really want to talk to me.

That's not really specific. Is it certain ingredients that are ****? Macro profiles? What?

Which part of the taco is ****? Is it the tortilla, the chicken, the lettuce, or the tomato?
    Its processed garbage I won't touch. You can however eat whatever you want. I do not eat fast food.

Which part? The tortilla, the chicken, the lettuce, or the tomato?

"Processed" doesn't mean bad. Whole wheat bread is processed. Butter is processed.

So what, specifically, is bad?

Tortilla: Enriched Bleached Wheat Flour (Flour, Malted Barley Flour, Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamine, Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Water, Ground Corn treated with Lime, Vegetable Oil (contains one or more of the following: Corn Oil, Soybean Oil) with TBHQ and Citric Acid (to preserve freshness), contains 2% or less of the following: Salt, Calcium Propionate and Potassium Sorbate (to preserve freshness), Furmaric Acid, Dough Conditioner. CONTAINS: WHEAT

Chicken: Chicken Breast with Rib Meat, Water, Seasoning (Onion Powder, Autolyzed Yeast Extract, Sugar, Salt, Dehydrated Garlic, Carrageenan, Seasoning [Tomatillo Flavor (Safflower Oil, Natural Flavor), Lemon Oil, Cilantro Flavor (Safflaower Oil, Natural Flavor)], Green Chili Pepper Powder, Dehydrated Parsley, Spice, Citric Acid, And Less Than 2% Soybean Oil And Silicon Dioxide Added As Processing Aids), Modified Food Starch, and Sodium Phosphates.

my homemade sandwich?

Chicken. Just chicken

Bread: Flour, Yeast, Salt, Water, maybe some whole grains.

Just sayin'
    And he still says its not junk......
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options

This article is from the Journal of the American Society of Nephrology. It is entitled, "Uric Acid, the Metabolic Syndrome and Renal Disease" http://jasn.asnjournals.org/content/17/12_suppl_3/S165.full

From the article: "...Recently, uric acid also was found to have a causal role in the metabolic syndrome that was induced experimentally by fructose (38). Fructose rapidly raises uric acid as a consequence of activation of fructokinase with ATP consumption, intracellular phosphate depletion, and stimulation of AMP deaminase (39). Lowering uric acid in fructose-fed rats ameliorates much of the metabolic syndrome, including a reduction in BP, serum triglycerides, hyperinsulinemia, and weight gain (38). The rise in uric acid after fructose ingestion likely has a significant role in inducing insulin resistance via its effect to lower nitric oxide (35) and also possibly by a direct effect of uric acid on the adipocytes (Sautin et al., submitted).

In turn, fructose intake correlates well with the recent rise in the epidemic of metabolic syndrome, diabetes, hypertension, and kidney disease (40). Fructose constitutes 50% of table sugar and also is a major component in high-fructose corn syrup, which is used in the United States as a sweetener. Intake of fructose has increased markedly in the past few decades and correlates with the rising rates of metabolic syndrome...."

In a related area, here is a link to the proceedings of a "Food Addiction Summit" held several years ago. The list of presenters was pretty impressive. Sugar consumption was cited by a number of the researchers as a large part of the problem. http://www.foodaddictionsummit.org/index.htm

That study fed rats 60% fructose.
    on a 3000 calorie diet that is 450g of straight fructose a day. for 6 straight months

If you ate 450g of fructose a day for 6 months
    you deserve to have diabetes.
    I dont know anyone that even takes in 450g of carbs a day. why would someone take in 450g of straight fructose?

as I said.
    please interpret the study before you post garbage
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I also get a bit of a kick of clean eaters heavily promoting micronutrients. Most "junk" food is fortified with vitamins, a solid multi vitamin is hardly expensive. Micronutrient deficiency is not common at all.

Are you sure? What's your source? Here's mine.

"Despite consuming almost twice as many calories (macronutrients) as we need, fewer than 18% of adults and 2% of children consume the minimum daily requirements of micronutrients recommended."

http://www.diseaseproof.com/archives/healthy-food-food-scoring-guide-unnatural-foods.html

^^^THIS^^^
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Google taco bell meat. And have fun. Its pretty much known by now.

I know all about it. It's primarily ground beef, some isolated oat, and seasoning.

Please pick out the ingredient below that is so incredibly bad:

Beef, water, isolated oat product, salt, chili pepper, onion powder, tomato powder, oats, soy lecithin, sugar, spices, maltodextrin, soybean oil , garlic powder, autolyzed yeast extract, citric acid, caramel color, cocoa powder, silicon dioxide (anti-caking agent), natural flavors, yeast, modified corn starch, natural smoke flavor, salt, sodium phosphate, less than 2% of beef broth, potassium phosphate, and potassium lactate.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    Rice @ taco bell:

Rice (Raw): Enriched Precooked Parboiled Long Grain Rice [Rice, Niacin, Ferric Orthophosphate (Iron), Thiamine Mononitrate (Thiamine), Folic Acid]. Seasoning: Maltodextrin, Salt, Tomato Powder, Potassium Chloride, Spices, Dehydrated Onion, Yeast Extract, Dehydrated Tomatoes, Citric Acid, Extractives Of Paprika (Color), Paprika (Color), Dehydrated Green Bell Pepper, Dehydrated Red Bell Pepper, Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, Disodium Inosinate, Disodium Guanylate, Garlic Extractives (Contains Modified Corn Starch, Corn Syrup Solids), Onion Extractives (Contains Onion Powder, Modified Corn Starch, Corn Syrup Solids, Trehalose), Natural Flavors, And Less Than 2% Silicon Dioxide Added To Prevent Caking. Oil: High-Oleic Low-Linolenic Canola Oil, TBHQ (To Protect Flavor), Dimethylpolysiloxane (An Antifoaming Agent).

my rice?

Rice.

that's it.
  • shosho420
    Options
    Rice @ taco bell:

Rice (Raw): Enriched Precooked Parboiled Long Grain Rice [Rice, Niacin, Ferric Orthophosphate (Iron), Thiamine Mononitrate (Thiamine), Folic Acid]. Seasoning: Maltodextrin, Salt, Tomato Powder, Potassium Chloride, Spices, Dehydrated Onion, Yeast Extract, Dehydrated Tomatoes, Citric Acid, Extractives Of Paprika (Color), Paprika (Color), Dehydrated Green Bell Pepper, Dehydrated Red Bell Pepper, Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, Disodium Inosinate, Disodium Guanylate, Garlic Extractives (Contains Modified Corn Starch, Corn Syrup Solids), Onion Extractives (Contains Onion Powder, Modified Corn Starch, Corn Syrup Solids, Trehalose), Natural Flavors, And Less Than 2% Silicon Dioxide Added To Prevent Caking. Oil: High-Oleic Low-Linolenic Canola Oil, TBHQ (To Protect Flavor), Dimethylpolysiloxane (An Antifoaming Agent).

my rice?

Rice.

that's it.
    He seems to be in complete denial.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Rice @ taco bell:

my rice?

Rice.

that's it.

That's not just rice, it's the cilantro rice with seasoning.

Again: pick out the terrible ingredients that are bad for your health.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

I know all about it. It's primarily ground beef, some isolated oat, and seasoning.

Beef, water, isolated oat product, salt, chili pepper, onion powder, tomato powder, oats, soy lecithin, sugar, spices, maltodextrin, soybean oil , garlic powder, autolyzed yeast extract, citric acid, caramel color, cocoa powder, silicon dioxide (anti-caking agent), natural flavors, yeast, modified corn starch, natural smoke flavor, salt, sodium phosphate, less than 2% of beef broth, potassium phosphate, and potassium lactate.

colorings, flavorings, added chemicals

yep. all good stuff the body CRAAAAVES
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Rice @ taco bell:

my rice?

Rice.

that's it.
    He seems to be in complete denial.

Pick one ingredient listed above and prove it's bad for your health in some specific way at the levels in which it's present in the food.

Maybe it's the onion powder? Dehydrated bell pepper? Thamin? Maltodextrin? Salt? Paprika?

Which is the bad ingredient?
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    Rice @ taco bell:

my rice?

Rice.

that's it.

every one that isn't cilantro, lime, spice or rice.
  • shosho420
    Options

colorings, flavorings, added chemicals

yep. all good stuff the body CRAAAAVES
    You are answering his questions.....
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Rice @ taco bell:

my rice?

Rice.

that's it.

every one that isn't cilantro, lime, or rice.

Oh, so:

Garlic powder
    Onion powder
    Salt
    Tomato
    Yeast
    Bell pepper
    Maltodextrin
    Niacin
    Thiamine

Roger. All terrible and will kill you.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    Rice @ taco bell:

my rice?

Rice.

that's it.

every one that isn't cilantro, lime, or rice.

Oh, so:

Garlic powder
    Onion powder
    Salt
    Tomato
    Yeast
    Bell pepper
    Maltodextrin
    Niacin
    Thiamine

Roger. All terrible and will kill you.

missed the edit quick draw
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options

This article is from the Journal of the American Society of Nephrology. It is entitled, "Uric Acid, the Metabolic Syndrome and Renal Disease" http://jasn.asnjournals.org/content/17/12_suppl_3/S165.full

From the article: "...Recently, uric acid also was found to have a causal role in the metabolic syndrome that was induced experimentally by fructose (38). Fructose rapidly raises uric acid as a consequence of activation of fructokinase with ATP consumption, intracellular phosphate depletion, and stimulation of AMP deaminase (39). Lowering uric acid in fructose-fed rats ameliorates much of the metabolic syndrome, including a reduction in BP, serum triglycerides, hyperinsulinemia, and weight gain (38). The rise in uric acid after fructose ingestion likely has a significant role in inducing insulin resistance via its effect to lower nitric oxide (35) and also possibly by a direct effect of uric acid on the adipocytes (Sautin et al., submitted).

In turn, fructose intake correlates well with the recent rise in the epidemic of metabolic syndrome, diabetes, hypertension, and kidney disease (40). Fructose constitutes 50% of table sugar and also is a major component in high-fructose corn syrup, which is used in the United States as a sweetener. Intake of fructose has increased markedly in the past few decades and correlates with the rising rates of metabolic syndrome...."

In a related area, here is a link to the proceedings of a "Food Addiction Summit" held several years ago. The list of presenters was pretty impressive. Sugar consumption was cited by a number of the researchers as a large part of the problem. http://www.foodaddictionsummit.org/index.htm

is associated with progressive renal disease in humans.
    You have to already have it

on a 3000 calorie diet that is 450g of straight fructose a day. for 6 straight months

as I said.

Well, duh. The reason why they gave the rats high doses of fructose is because the rats have the uricase enzyme (humans do not--they have the gene for it but it is non-functional). In order to get the rats to produce high levels of uric acid, they had to either overdose them on fructose or suppress the uricase enzyme. They chose to overdose them on fructose and raise the level of uric acid to what would be an equivalent level in a human with a much lower dose of fructose. You don't know what you are talking about. (And, you are behaving in a fairly obnoxious fashion.)
  • CoachReddy
    Options

is associated with progressive renal disease in humans.
    You have to already have it

as I said.

Well, duh. The reason why they gave the rats high doses of fructose is because the rats have the uricase enzyme (humans do not--they have the gene for it but it is non-functional). In order to get the rats to produce high levels of uric acid, they had to either overdose them on fructose or suppress the uricase enzyme. They chose to overdose them on fructose and raise the level of uric acid to what would be an equivalent level in a human with a much lower dose of fructose. You don't know what you are talking about.
    i simply don't believe it.