Clean vs. Junk - does it really matter?

Options

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

It's dietitian, not dietician. Dietitians are actually generally very knowledgeable on the subject of nutrition. Go figure!

Anyway, Alan Aragon is one of the most respected people in the business. And he probably reads and intelligently interprets more raw nutrition research than everyone on MFP combined. The guy seriously knows his ****.

Just pointing out real quick that dietician and dietitian are both correct. Dietician has been used since 1917.

Continue on..... (trying to catch up on all the pages)

I know a bunch of actual trained and educated dietitians. It's definitely not dietician. That's some weird combination that's like "physician of diet" that makes no sense.

Dietician is considered a misspelling.

"According to Merriam-Webster, a leading producer of dictionaries, dictionary inclusions are based on word usage. The usage of dietitian spelled with a “c” is long standing and has become more common as the use of computer spell-check systems has increased and as the body of literature referring to dietitians has increased. Spellings, of course vary by country, as common words are often spelled differently from one English speaking country to the next. As an example, the Microsoft spell-check only recognizes the variant of dietitian with a ‘c’ in the English Canada version but in the USA both forms of the word are recognized."

http://www.internationaldietetics.org/Newsletter/Vol17Issue2/Feature-Article/The-c-in-dietitians-a-long-history-and-fading-futu.aspx

Regardless of what dietitians may prefer....both spellings are valid.

Well you should let all the Registered Dietitians who went through university programs that advertised their Dietitian programs, who get Today's Dietitian magazine, and work in hospitals and clinics with job titles called Dietitians that they're wrong.

Yes, dietician has been used in the past. I am telling you, however, that this is considered a misspelling by actual trained, certified dietitians as well as the organizations they belong to and the companies that employ them.

Why would I do that? As I said, they wish they could correct it..but because of the common usage of both spellings - both spellings are deemed valid. That's all I was saying. I never said that dietitians were doing it wrong. O.o.

You know, when a dietitian corrected me when I spelled it dietician, and then explained the difference, I said "oh, wow, that's fascianting! Thanks! I'll be sure to use the correct term in the future."

Oh well. Forget it.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Eating processed foods and unnatural chemicals is fattening-starvation. Your body cannot process the foods but there are no nutrients in what you're eating that it needs to survive, so it takes and stores whatever it can from the crap you eat, and then fights like crazy to get rid of what it can't use or even digest. Do yourself a favor and clean it up! Eat food that's actually food, not the chemical crap the Fed is trying to pass for food these days.

Next time you go to reach for a processed treat or something in the drive-thru, just take off your shoe and eat that instead. It'll be about the same nutritionally and will save you money. :p

Lol, quoted for the cray and "the Fed" - what does the American Monetary Reserve have to do with donuts?

My shoes cost more than fast food. And if I ate my shoe, I'd probably die right then and there. I say your example is invalid.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Eating processed foods and unnatural chemicals is fattening-starvation. Your body cannot process the foods but there are no nutrients in what you're eating that it needs to survive, so it takes and stores whatever it can from the crap you eat, and then fights like crazy to get rid of what it can't use or even digest. Do yourself a favor and clean it up! Eat food that's actually food, not the chemical crap the Fed is trying to pass for food these days.

Next time you go to reach for a processed treat or something in the drive-thru, just take off your shoe and eat that instead. It'll be about the same nutritionally and will save you money. :p

:drinker:
    Clearly you both have to start investing in better shoes.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Can't clean be junk? For example, I could make a cake with butter I turned myself, flour I ground myself...totally clean and unprocessed, but it's still unhealthy.

I would say absolutely (though I wouldn't go to that much trouble) but then others would say it couldn't be clean because you had to use sugar.

Sugarcane I crushed myself and cooked the juice off?

Ah... but it's still sucrose.

But when you make this divine confection, I will gladly fall on the sword and alleviate you of it's evil dirty-ness!

Wait, even natural sources of sucrose aren't considered clean?

Depends on who you ask, doesn't it? Virtually anything besides raw vegetables can be deemed not clean by the various criteria used in this very thread.
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    The thing about calorie counts at fast food restaurants (or any restaurant really) is that serving sizes vary therefore calorie counts aren't exact (or even close). It's very easy to unknowingly eat more calories than you think you are just from that. I'd always suggest making/weighing your own food over eating junk food, but it's not always possible... which is why IIFYM is so popular

Also, nutrition labels aren't always 100% truthful, they can round down their numbers to make it more appealing (if something has less than .4 or something grams trans fat per serving, they can label it as 0). Ever wonder why those snack boxes/bags have odd serving sizes? It's to take advantage of that.

Does it matter? Depends, are you trying to get stage lean? Then probably yeah it would matter. Do you just want to look good at the pool/beach or just lose some weight? Probably not so much.
  • jonnythan
    Options

:drinker:
    Clearly you both have to start investing in better shoes.

I just bought a new pair of Rockports with leather soles. Are they more clean than my old Merrells with rubber soles? All natural right?
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    Can't clean be junk? For example, I could make a cake with butter I turned myself, flour I ground myself...totally clean and unprocessed, but it's still unhealthy.

I would say absolutely (though I wouldn't go to that much trouble) but then others would say it couldn't be clean because you had to use sugar.

But when you make this divine confection, I will gladly fall on the sword and alleviate you of it's evil dirty-ness!

Depends on who you ask, doesn't it? Virtually anything besides raw vegetables can be deemed not clean by the various criteria used in this very thread.

those would be?

i'd consider that cake clean. totally.
  • msliu7911
    msliu7911 Posts: 639 Member
    Options

Lol, quoted for the cray and "the Fed" - what does the American Monetary Reserve have to do with donuts?

:laugh:

Its all a conspiracy.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options

those would be?

Sweet. I'm starting a clean junk food store.
  • bob1505
    bob1505 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I would think it would be much more difficult to stay on target calorie wise while eating junk. Seems to me that much of the junk food is much more calorie dense, so less equals more. The junk food eater would be hungry all the time!
  • PikaKnight
    Options

those would be?

bwahahaha

laugh.gif
  • CoachReddy
    Options

those would be?

meh, they already exist in cities like NYC
  • Derpinaaa
    Derpinaaa Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I eat what I want so long as it fits my calorie/macro goals. I see no reason to give up things like ice cream or chocolate.
  • BluePHX
    BluePHX Posts: 184 Member
    Options

Oh, I'm sorry. Apparently I need to be more descriptive. "The Fed" can also describe the FDA, which is the FEDERALLY RUN ADMINISTRATION implementing laws and criteria regarding the safe growing, selling and eating of food items under the United States Department of Health and Human Services. It's been my experience that "the Fed" is useful in describing circumstances involving "The Federal Government."

Anyway....
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    I eat what I want so long as it fits my calorie/macro goals. I see no reason to give up things like ice cream or chocolate.

Dark chocolate is actually good for you. Woohoo :D
  • CoachReddy
    Options

absolutely no reason you should. :smile:
  • PikaKnight
    Options

Oh, I'm sorry. Apparently I need to be more descriptive. "The Fed" can also describe the FDA, which is the FEDERALLY RUN ADMINISTRATION implementing laws and criteria regarding the safe growing, selling and eating of food items under the United States Department of Health and Human Services. It's been my experience that "the Fed" is useful in describing circumstances involving "The Federal Government."

Anyway....

I think for most, including myself....it means FBI. Damn tv shows and books!.....hahahaha
  • jonnythan
    Options

Anyway....

In all seriousness, it makes more sense to use the term "the feds" in that situation. "The fed" specifically means the Federal Reserve.

It's like DOE. Technically it could be Department of Education, but it's used exclusively for the Department of Energy. The Department of Education is typically called the ED.
  • 2FatToRun
    2FatToRun Posts: 810 Member
    Options

I have a serving of granulated sugar every morning in my coffee because I refuse to use artificial sweeteners. I consider myself eating clean 90-98% of the time. I make my own food at home including sweets. But I have never made a cake because I try and consume my simple carbs for breakfast and the rest of the day complex ones. To me frozen grapes or other options are just a better choice for my body but to each their own if you must have cake......you must have cake :D
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    I love when you guys quibble about semantics instead of ignoring the point at large.

it's mah favorite. :heart: :love: :heart: