Clean vs. Junk - does it really matter?

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    I love when you guys quibble about semantics instead of ignoring the point at large.

it's mah favorite. :heart: :love: :heart:

I love when you post offtopic trolling BS with zero content just to see yourself in your avatar, when the posts you're talking about are actually exchanging information.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Depends on who you ask, doesn't it? Virtually anything besides raw vegetables can be deemed not clean by the various criteria
    Sweet. I'm starting a clean junk food store.

meh, they already exist in cities like NYC

Perfect place to prey upon the rich. They can fund my cute lil organic cow farm.

ETA: Although I would feel a bit conflicted if a cow got sick. Can't give em antibiotics, so I guess it's off to the slaughterhouse so I can sell that grass-fed beef! Clean cheeseburgers, anyone?
  • jonnythan
    Depends on who you ask, doesn't it? Virtually anything besides raw vegetables can be deemed not clean by the various criteria

Perfect place to prey upon the rich. They can fund my cute lil organic cow farm.

Your "Why I Want To Get In Shape" is pretty epic. Just sayin.
  • edennew
    edennew Posts: 231 Member
    I can only give you my experience, which is this. When I eat 1500 calories in high fat foods (think fast food, fried foods, chips, carbs and salty foods) - I gain weight. When I eat 1500 calories in fresh fruits, fresh veggies and lean protein prepared cleanly (no frying... think grilled, steamed, baked), I lose weight, am less bloated and have more energy. All calories are NOT created equal in my humble opinion. It just makes sense. As much as I want to believe I can eat 1500 calories in nachos and not gain weight, it's not true. Good luck to you in your weight loss journey!

This is my experience as well. I eat foods I "shoudn't" in moderation, but feel better, lose readily and retain less water when I eat less processed foods.
  • BluePHX
    BluePHX Posts: 184 Member
    Eating processed foods and unnatural chemicals is fattening-starvation. Your body cannot process the foods but there are no nutrients in what you're eating that it needs to survive, so it takes and stores whatever it can from the crap you eat, and then fights like crazy to get rid of what it can't use or even digest. Do yourself a favor and clean it up! Eat food that's actually food, not the chemical crap the Fed is trying to pass for food these days.

Next time you go to reach for a processed treat or something in the drive-thru, just take off your shoe and eat that instead. It'll be about the same nutritionally and will save you money. :p

Lol, quoted for the cray and "the Fed" - what does the American Monetary Reserve have to do with donuts?

Oh, I'm sorry. Apparently I need to be more descriptive. "The Fed" can also describe the FDA, which is the FEDERALLY RUN ADMINISTRATION implementing laws and criteria regarding the safe growing, selling and eating of food items under the United States Department of Health and Human Services. It's been my experience that "the Fed" is useful in describing circumstances involving "The Federal Government."

Anyway....

In all seriousness, it makes more sense to use the term "the feds" in that situation. "The fed" specifically means the Federal Reserve.

It's like DOE. Technically it could be Department of Education, but it's used exclusively for the Department of Energy. The Department of Education is typically called the ED.

Thanks for the lesson in Terminology. I found it to be both relevant and necessary to the topic of this thread. Also, thanks for calling me out on it. I was unaware that MFP threads counted as legal documents that require proper language before submittal. From now on I'll be sure to draft each one and error check before posting. :)
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    I just try to hit my macros (except calories I can only eat so much). I have a hard time hitting the protein one. It's hard for me for so many reasons and yet I still don't quite get it. But, I will say this eating a lot more fiber has improved my ability to control my hunger so much, so much that it's actually hard to eat as much as MFP tells me too and for the last week I have failed miserably.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member

girl you got plenty of hippies to prey upon in SF. :tongue:

ps Buster Posey and Madison Bumgarner... I'm like... in man-love with both of them.
  • ManderMooo
    ManderMooo Posts: 10 Member
    I think it is pretty obvious that clean eating is better for your body's system in the long run, but if your focus is just they way you look (not feel) you can lose weight by just keeping your calories down. Watch FatHead http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1333994/ I believe it is on Netflix. A really entertaining documentary rebuttal to Supersize Me.

But, honestly if you ate clean for a month and got past the withdraws you go through getting off the junk food, you will just FEEL better. And that is more important to me.

Good Luck! :drinker:
  • jonnythan
    Eating processed foods and unnatural chemicals is fattening-starvation. Your body cannot process the foods but there are no nutrients in what you're eating that it needs to survive, so it takes and stores whatever it can from the crap you eat, and then fights like crazy to get rid of what it can't use or even digest. Do yourself a favor and clean it up! Eat food that's actually food, not the chemical crap the Fed is trying to pass for food these days.

Next time you go to reach for a processed treat or something in the drive-thru, just take off your shoe and eat that instead. It'll be about the same nutritionally and will save you money. :p

Lol, quoted for the cray and "the Fed" - what does the American Monetary Reserve have to do with donuts?

Oh, I'm sorry. Apparently I need to be more descriptive. "The Fed" can also describe the FDA, which is the FEDERALLY RUN ADMINISTRATION implementing laws and criteria regarding the safe growing, selling and eating of food items under the United States Department of Health and Human Services. It's been my experience that "the Fed" is useful in describing circumstances involving "The Federal Government."

Anyway....

In all seriousness, it makes more sense to use the term "the feds" in that situation. "The fed" specifically means the Federal Reserve.

It's like DOE. Technically it could be Department of Education, but it's used exclusively for the Department of Energy. The Department of Education is typically called the ED.

Thanks for the lesson in Terminology. I found it to be both relevant and necessary to the topic of this thread. Also, thanks for calling me out on it. I was unaware that MFP threads counted as legal documents that require proper language before submittal. From now on I'll be sure to draft each one and error check before posting. :)

Man, people really don't like to learn they did something wrong, do they? Good lord.

I appreciate when people politely correct me when I make a mistake.
  • CoachReddy
    messed up the quotes.... will continue in next post
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    I love when you guys quibble about semantics instead of ignoring the point at large.

I love when threads go from this
    something!
    something else!
    To you entering it.
    th_crazy-2.gif?t=1242256900
    Things get all crazy in there :tongue:
  • CoachReddy

Anyway....

Man, people really don't like to learn they did something wrong, do they? Good lord.

I appreciate when people politely correct me when I make a mistake.

:yawn:
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,228 Member

something!
    something else!
    To you entering it.

:laugh:

Well this is the best chuckle I've had all day!
  • CoachReddy

something!
    something else!
    To you entering it.

:frown:
  • slkehl

ps Buster Posey and Madison Bumgarner... I'm like... in man-love with both of them.

Luckily weed is pretty damn clean. We also try to stay away from GM products...unless it means our weed will have more THC. Then it's all good.

And yup, talented, good looking, that's the Giants :heart:
  • rogerbosch
    rogerbosch Posts: 343 Member
    In your scenario, you would both lose the same amount of weight, but you would probably look healthier, in terms of skin, hair, etc.

If you just want to lose fat, then all you need to do is eat at a calorie deficit. It doesn't matter what you eat. If you want to be healthy, however, then that's a different story.

Personally, I am not a fan of eating clean OR living off junk. A nice, happy medium will get you where you want to be health and weight-wise without missing out on the foods you like.
    This answer says it all. A friend here on MFP asked people who are low in BF whether they eat clean or not. 95% of them said they did not.
    I agree that low in BF does not necessarily mean being healthy, but as the poster in above quote said: if your goal is to be lean it should not matter. A good balance of your macros is essential, though - and that's usually tougher to achieve on a junk food diet.

Edit because I first wrote: "A friend here on MFP asked people who are low in BF whether they are clean or not."
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member

something!
    something else!
    To you entering it.
    th_crazy-2.gif?t=1242256900th_crazy-2.gif?t=1242256900

Aww common that was funny look it just gets crazier in there :tongue:
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member

Luckily weed is pretty damn clean. We also try to stay away from GM products...unless it means our weed will have more THC. Then it's all good.

And yup, talented, good looking, that's the Giants :heart:

tumblr_ls95oujaGK1qab7nx.gif
  • slkehl

Your "Why I Want To Get In Shape" is pretty epic. Just sayin.

Nothing keeps that second slice of cake out of your mouth like job security :grumble:
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member

something!
    something else!
    To you entering it.

Aww common that was funny look it just gets crazier in there :tongue:

tumblr_m1iaczvycj1rqfhi2o1_500.gif