Best/Worst Thing People Said on your Weight Loss Journey?

Options
I'm building a site to help people with various problems, one of them being weight loss. Please respond ONLY if it's okay for me to incorporate your reply into an article (I will NOT list your username or any kind of identifying info) about what to say or do or NOT to say or do to someone trying to lose weight or get fit.

Fill in the blank: The best/worst thing someone did or said to me while on my weight loss journey is . . .

THANKS, and best of luck to you! :drinker:

Replies

• VeeBethTris
    VeeBethTris Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Best: OMG you've lost a Back Street Boy

Worst: You look good now but wait till you gain it all back again.
  • tonybalony01
    tonybalony01 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Best: "You've inspired me and I'm going to start losing weight now."
    The person that said this then changed her eating habits and dropped a bunch of weight. Her doctor reduced her bp meds and she had to start buying new clothes. She thanked me more times than I can count.
    Worst: "I don't understand how you do it. You can eat anything and still lose weight."
    This was said to me by someone who quit an exercise regimen we were doing at work after 2 weeks because she didn't "see any results", and whose idea of dieting was cutting back on the number of times she ordered out for pizza each week.
  • mdepko
    mdepko Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Best - "You're an inspiration to all of us here"

Worst - During one of my first weigh-ins (I work in a hospital), a Doctor passing by me on the scale said "Hope you don't break that thing, they're expensive."
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Right now the best is usually the last compliment I got. lol... I'm easy to please.

This morning when I walked into a doctor's office (last visit just over 3 weeks ago) the nurse exclaimed, "OMGosh! You've lost more weight, haven't you? It really shows!"

What I expect will be the all time worst comment I ever get came from my college adviser when we met for lunch a little over a year after I graduated. She said, "You look just the same!" I'd lost over 100 lbs since the last time we saw each other and was in the best shape of my life.
  • duckiec
    duckiec Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Best: Nothing yet, nobody's really noticed.

Worst #1: It's about time you did something about this.

Worst #2: Oh, for all that work I don't see much difference.

Thank you, opinionated, unhelpful family members.
  • salgalbp
    salgalbp Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    The best/worst thing someone did or said to me while on my weight loss journey is . . .

BEST - "I never saw you 'that' way" - When they see old pictures of me, because they always loved me for the person I was

WORST - "Maybe he wouldn't have found someone else if you hadn't gotten so big" - Quoted from my EX father-in-law
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Best: You look wonderful, I'm sure you've lost more than that.
    Worst: You'll never reach your goal if you don't lift heavy.
  • thebr0kenwriter
    thebr0kenwriter Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I got lots of comments on how great I looked when I lost my first round of 120lbs and a lot of people didn't recognize me. The worst thing was (I was 162, still planned on losing 27lbs), that I would look anorexic if I lost anymore. This man's wife was about a size 2 and tiny. My sister is 5'8" and 160lbs (she got to 138 and looked sickly), and he told her she wasn't skinny. I think his head is out there anyway...
  • 13tea
    13tea Posts: 55
    Options
    Best- You look so good, you make me want to loose weight.
    Worst - Didn't you meet your goal this week.
  • JeneticTraining
    JeneticTraining Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Best: Jen, you motivate me
    Worst: Here's a can of cashews. (I have had myriad cashew binges).
  • Vune
    Vune Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Best: Every year after I lost the first 30lbs, my tiny choreographer (couldn't have been more than 5 feet tall and 90 lbs of pure muscle!) would tell me how great I looked.

Worst: Every family member I've tried to set an example for has responded with, " I think I've gained what you lost!" (I live with you. You can see how easy it is when you want to do it, so don't try to make me into some sort of magical creature.)
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Best; my niece told me she could see my rib cage, and congratulated me..
    Worst; nothing comes to mind. nobody has said anything bad to me.
  • Danni3ll3
    Danni3ll3 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Best: "I didn't recognize you! You look awesome!" after the person did a double take walking past me in a mall.

Worst: My mother telling me "Well you haven't lost the belly!" after I told her that I had lost 20 pounds. The joke ended up being on her since the rounded belly was due to fibroids. Rounded belly is now gone and my mom has put on quite a few pounds since that little incident. I have lost another 30. =)
  • aberc
    aberc Posts: 98
    Options
    Best: "Oh my God, look at those legs!"
    Best #2: "Did you lose weight? You look so good, I almost didn't recognize you!"

Worst: "You're getting too obsessed with your weight"
    Worst #2: "Your body is where it wants to be, you're never going to be small like your mother.." (that was 30 lbs ago. Hah!)
  • AllyCatXandi
    AllyCatXandi Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Best: "I'm proud of you."

Worst: "Eww, your hands look like a gross anorexic person's! It's scary!"
    It's worth mentioning here that my hands are the EXACT same size they were when I was overweight (15kg ago - I'm now in the healthy BMI range and certainly plan on staying there). I'd never been self-conscious about them before either, so hearing that felt a bit like being slapped in the face.
  • peopletalk
    peopletalk Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Best: "I'm proud of you."

Worst: "Eww, your hands look like a gross anorexic person's! It's scary!"
    It's worth mentioning here that my hands are the EXACT same size they were when I was overweight (15kg ago - I'm now in the healthy BMI range and certainly plan on staying there). I'd never been self-conscious about them before either, so hearing that felt a bit like being slapped in the face.
    that's funny because i would kill for really skinny hands/fingers!
  • upgetupgetup
    upgetupgetup Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Best

- "I respect the work you put in" - jock brother who made fun of me for years for being nonathletic
    - "You look amazing/great" - male friends

Worst

- "I think you're too skinny", or, "you're teeny tiny" with a worried look - female friends
    - "Do you make yourself throw up?" - my doctor. Answer is NO. I eat 1800-2400 cals of food that's not cheap and sometimes a pain in the *kitten* to make, why would I throw it up? She also thought working out 4-5 times a week was excessive.

No one can believe it's possible to lose weight in a healthy way.
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options

Worst - During one of my first weigh-ins (I work in a hospital), a Doctor passing by me on the scale said "Hope you don't break that thing, they're expensive."

He'd have found his car shy a few valve stems after his shift!!
  • tachyon_master
    tachyon_master Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Best
    - "Daaaaaaaaaamn! 6 pack!"
    - "Awesome!"

Worst
    - "You're anorexic. Go eat a sandwich and talk to a shrink" - said by a complete ***** of a colleague at work.
    - "You still need to lose weight." - said after I'd already reached a size 0.
  • MandyPhoe
    MandyPhoe Posts: 94 Member
    Options

Your doctor should really be slapped for that! So rude, uncalled for and terrible bedside manner! I am so angry for you.

Ok My turn

Best - <Big smack on the tush> "You finally have a bum that you can get insured!" - Mum
    Worst - "Oh go on, have a slice (of cake). It's not like it is going to change anything. You are who you are" - Ex-coworker