Best/Worst Thing People Said on your Weight Loss Journey?

Options

Replies

• DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Best: Anything along the lines of "You inspire me to start lifting!"
    Worst: From a couple of coworkers, who half the time say I look great and half the time say I look too skinny, "Why would you lift weights? Muscled arms and backs on women is so ugly/manly". Yeah, look at me and say I look good but ignore me when I tell you how I do it. :noway:
  • alexveksler
    alexveksler Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    BEST: You look like you lost weight. Was it planned? Are you OK? Have you been to the doctor?

WORST: You look like you lost weight. You don't even look good anymore. You look sick. You better go to the doctor
  • maddogg82
    maddogg82 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Best: My husband.. "U look beautiful!" made me tear cus i really belived him this time.

Worst: OMG.. look at u .. u look pregnant just like ur cousin except she is pregnant. .. (.. person proceeds to laugh) :explode: :mad: :grumble:

SO RUDE!
  • JennKie1
    JennKie1 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Best (from my husband) - " I'm so proud of you."

It's a tie for the worst - 1. (my mother-in-law when my husband pointed out my 30+ pound weight-loss) - "I didn't notice. Maybe I would have noticed if you lost 60 pounds." (which by the way would have put me at 5'7" and 114# -way too small for me)
    2. (a co-worker) - "I guess I hadn't realized how fat you were before."

For the most part, I don't take much of what anyone else says to heart anymore. There will be the occasionally annoying person who thinks I lost all of my weight because I was sick for a week, or don't believe I actually WORKED for it, but I try not to let them bother me anymore.
  • FranksRumHam
    FranksRumHam Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    worst: they refer to it as a "journey."

where's lea?....
  • mumtoonegirl
    mumtoonegirl Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Best: OMG you've lost a Back Street Boy

Worst: You look good now but wait till you gain it all back again.

the worst was what my step-mother told my dad that my DH and I were only eating healthy to loose weight for our trip and that right after we would gain it all back.
  • ivoryangel
    Options
    As I slim down all over (except my belly which is the last thing to slim down) I have had a couple people ask me if I was pregnant. That was the worst!
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options

where's lea?....
    WOULD YOU STAHP?!
  • FranksRumHam
    FranksRumHam Posts: 198 Member
    Options

where's lea?....
    WOULD YOU STAHP?!

sorry. it's just, as MFPs most supportive and motivational mom (you do hold the award for that ya know), i thought you may wanna chime in here.
  • emcdonie
    emcdonie Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Best: from the nurse on the phone going over my bloodwork results and giving a message from the doctor "You are no longer diabetic and absolutely do not need metformin any longer"

Worst: (received on one of my faith based youtube videos) You are a shame to your husband and your faith with your disgusting body size" (they went on with their comment, but that was a knife to my heart)
  • nicarey19
    nicarey19 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Worst: My husband's mom and grandma telling me if I don't keep up what I am doing I will just gain all the weight back, they had a friend who went on a salad diet and lost 75 lbs. After she stopped the diet she gained all the weight back and a little bit more. And my brother in law telling me it was only water weight that I lost. I had lost about 30 lbs at that time.

Best: Anyone who has told me I inspired them to start working out and getting healthier. Also my mom saying she is proud of how hard I am working and my husband always touching my butt and saying it is looking really good!

A tie: When people say I have lost a lot of weight. On one hand I feel like wow they noticed, but I also feel like they are saying you were so big! But I try to just take it that they are complimenting me. Because let's face it I was big.
  • nicarey19
    nicarey19 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Best: from the nurse on the phone going over my bloodwork results and giving a message from the doctor "You are no longer diabetic and absolutely do not need metformin any longer"

Worst: (received on one of my faith based youtube videos) You are a shame to your husband and your faith with your disgusting body size" (they went on with their comment, but that was a knife to my heart)

That is terrible! :( Those people are just jealous of you! And congrats on the diabetic meds! :-)
  • KinzieElise
    KinzieElise Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    Best #1: The other day my younger sister asked my advice for eating in the dorm cafeteria since she's gained the freshman fifteen.

Best #2: The "I'm proud of you." or "You look really good." comments.

Worst: Mostly by family, "How many pounds have you lost?" I always feel like they are judging how I look now by the number and it makes me uncomfortable.
  • BlackEyedPanda
    BlackEyedPanda Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Worst:

- Well you have a pretty... face (from my flatmate, who is a professional *kitten*)
    - Just being around you makes me gain weight (from my flatmate, who is a professional *kitten* and eats take-away 2-3 times a week)
    - Being called thunder thighs.

Best:

- What happened to you? You have disappeared! (a friend after not seeing her for a whole summer. unfortunately I gained all that weight back and am now starting all over again)
  • Mharren
    Mharren Posts: 60
    Options
    BEST: When no one comments on my weight period.

WORST: The original bat-man theme but 'bat-man' replaced by 'Fat girl'......while doing a routine on the balance beam and everyone joined in.
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Best: Anything anyone has said regarding noticing a loss is a "best" to me! When they mention something specific, like "you can really see it in your face!" (or back or stomach or whatever) it means even more because I feel like they really DO see a difference and they're not just trying to be nice.

Worst: "Well, you still have a lot to go." "Yeah, but you always start off strong and then gain it back." "Are you sure they measured right the first time?" (after saying I lost 12 inches in a month at Curves)
  • Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Best ones;

'Oh my God! My OH told me I should have seen you the other week when you were at that gig! He said you looked amazing!'

[goes to hug me] 'how are - where have you gone?' [hugs tighter]

'You're beautiful anyways. But you're working so hard and it shows. You're gonna need me to be your bodyguard to keep all the guys at bay now'

From friends.

Worst - from my mother years ago. She has no involvement with my life or health now.

'Theres no point in you ever trying to lose weight, you'll just have disgusting baggy skin and have to have it all cut off, which is even uglier than your fat' (I weighed about 145 lbs at the time)

'I told them when they said my daughter was looking very slim that they must have the wrong person because you aren't particularly anything' (I weighed about 115 lbs at the time)

'Oh. I suppose you have lost a bit of fat. It still shows on your face though' (112 lbs)

'People won't like you because you're fat and greedy. If you want them to like you, you have to starve yourself. ' (age 11, 5 foot 1 tall, weighing 74 lbs)
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Props to you for using the word JOURNEY! and not letting them journey bashers get you!

Here's to the best and healthiest JOURNEY! :drinker:

Dont stop believin'
  • chinalavy
    chinalavy Posts: 104
    Options
    Best : You are inspiring. Worst : You do this all the time you will gain it all back you'll see . This actually motived me to keep going and continue my journey to be healthy for me . I don't care anymore if anybody believes in me as long as I do .
  • FitSuga
    FitSuga Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Best: "You've really inspired me to lose the weight once and for all." and she has been!
    Worst: "Are you ill?" in correlation to my weight loss. Some people. :noway: