Best/Worst Thing People Said on your Weight Loss Journey?

Options

Replies

• draccy
    draccy Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I hope you've all cut the toxic, unhelpful people out of your lives, as much as possible! Some of these worst comments... wow. My "favorites" are people trying to push unhealthy food on you. Ugh.

Best: Despite gaining 20lbs after I moved in with him 5 years ago, my boyfriend never said anything negative. I'm 5'2 so 20lbs is visible on me in all the ways. I'd off and on tried to exercise my weight off, but it didn't work in part because I'd use it as an excuse for treats after. Last year he and I started working out together, yoga then running, but while I was getting stronger it wasn't doing anything for weight. Frustrated, I came to MFP in February.

My boyfriend does most of the cooking. I told him that I need his help with this process, and was he ok with writing down the ingredient amounts. He said sure, anything he can do to support me. And while he didn't see the weight loss for a while ("I don't look at you that critically") he did say he saw I was happier, and he told me he was impressed with my consistency.

I can't imagine doing this if the person I lived with wasn't supportive. Honestly, anyone in my life who isn't supportive of me working to improve myself would quickly find themselves out of my life.

Worst... I haven't had too much. Most comes from my mom, but I live 3000 miles away. Back when I was with my ex I'd gained 5lbs and was 127. He had complained about it, so he was looking at me that critically. And my mom told me I should go to the gym more and lose weight. I did lose weight, after my ex and I broke up and I was so depressed I stopped eating because I had no appetite. I'd have to force myself to eat. My mom told me Iooked great! Thanks mom.

I told her a few weeks ago that I'm counting calories to lose weight. "Why, is it to fit into a wedding dress?" Ugh seriously, is there no reason she won't turn anything I say into a nag about getting married? Nagging hasn't worked for 5 years, what makes her think it'll work now?!!
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Best: "Oh my gosh! How much have you lost? You can really tell you're working hard."-- One of the judges at work who is also trying to shed some poundage.

"Wow, look how toned up you're getting already."-- My dear husband. I'm not sure if it was that obvious 2 weeks in, but it made me feel good anyway.

Worst: Various versions of "just don't get carried away," "watch how much you're losing," "don't starve yourself," etc.-- Close family members who knew me way back when when I was struggling with all sorts of emotional and mental issues. I know they're just worried, but sheesh, I know better now. My sister has stopped with the warnings and has started telling me how proud of me she is. So maybe, little by little, those uncomfortable comments will stop.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    bump
  • tn_bigfoot
    Options
    The best:
    Last week, a lady visiting her step daughter at church who hasn't been there in 3 month walked up, started to speak to me, and she had this puzzled look on her face. I spoke, and she looked relieved. Her stepdaughter later said to me, "you have lost so much weight Pam did not recognize you". That made me feel great.

The worst :
    After losing 30 lbs i had someone say to me, that I needed to watch what I was eating I was getting fat. They had not seen me in a while and telling me I looked fat was not what I was wanting to here. However it kept me motivated.

By the way I am looking for new friends add me if you would like. I have lost 60 lbs, with about 45 to go.
  • tn_bigfoot
    Options
    Best: You look amazing! How are you doing it?
    Worst (from my mother!): You know, when you get too thin, it makes your face look older.

I had some one tell me that since I have lost all of my weight I look 10 years younger, so I asked how old do I look they said 43, I said "thanks a lot I am 44". Before loosing weight I was told a lot that I looked like I was in my mid 30's, so It made me feel like I was looking older.
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    Worst: Did you get that surgery (gastric bypass)?
    Best: A few people including my own father barely recognized me.
  • Galloping4God
    Galloping4God Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Best: "Wow! You you've gotten skinny! I didn't even recognize you!" & "You are such an encouragement!! Keep it up!"

Worst: "Oh my gosh, oh my gosh, oh my gosh!! You look soooo good now!!!" (UMMM....excuse me?!? I didn't look good before?), "Don't get too skinny, guys don't like really skinny girls!", "Oh, go ahead and eat that ice cream- you're skinny now", "Don't worry- you'll gain it all back by eating like that." (cuz, you know, I shouldn't be allowed to eat any junk....).
  • Moonbeem11
    Moonbeem11 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Best: Every year after I lost the first 30lbs, my tiny choreographer (couldn't have been more than 5 feet tall and 90 lbs of pure muscle!) would tell me how great I looked.

Worst: Every family member I've tried to set an example for has responded with, " I think I've gained what you lost!" (I live with you. You can see how easy it is when you want to do it, so don't try to make me into some sort of magical creature.)

To the "worst" you should have responded "That's what happens when you eat all the extra food I haven't been eating." lol.

What makes people so awful? Jealousy, insecurity, ignorance - or just plain mean!
  • Jme2209
    Jme2209 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Best-You look great! ; You're an inspiration!

Worst- by one of my closest friends when I told her I wanted to lose 90 lbs (That will put me at 158 lbs at 5'9, and truthfully I would love to lose closer to 100 to be at 148ish) Anyway, her response was that I was setting my goal way too high and her facial expressions told me that I couldn't do it.

30 lbs down and still going strong, and I can tell she's suprised! I will do this!
  • dessyjo
    dessyjo Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Worst: Before I even started this journey someone told me that it was impossible to lose belly fat once you have it. And over the next year I believed it. Until I found this website and decided to give it a try. (Not as hard as a lot of people think, but it's still a challenge.)

My dad told me when I began and still tells me that I'm never going to get real skinny like my half sister. (Who is 160-170lbs). Maybe it's his way of protecting me from my own goals, but his statement just pissed me off and I'm going to prove to him that genetics don't mean squat diddly.

Best: I spent the majority of my life thinking it was genetics that was making me fat, that even if I tried I'd fail and I hate failing. I can't name one physically fit person in my family except two of my older half brothers. Neither exercise at a gym. Anyway, I was watching Dr. Phil and he said, 'Genetics don't say who will be overweight, they say who can be over weight.' Yes, I can do this.
  • palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Best: You look fantastic!
    Best: Looks like there's some extra room in your jeans!

Worst: Nothing (as in nobody says anything because they don't see a difference, even though I'm working out and counting every caloire)
  • salcha76
    salcha76 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Best....I can see your collar bone! (me...I didn't know it was missing?)
    You've lost an Olsen twin! (first 88#down)

Worst: When are you due?
    Oh? You lost weight? NO big deal, it'll come back again.
  • Zoejohnse91
    Zoejohnse91 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Best: I was at the pool when a woman with an amazing butt told me she was jealous of mine!:laugh:
    Worst: "Fruit is sooo bad for you. You should ONLY eat one a day, at the most..."

LOL!!! I lol'ed at your worst! That person is a duffus!

Best: Being hugged and told they could feel the difference :bigsmile: *Im a cuddler* annnnnd seeing a friend after 6 months and she said "Zoe, you've lost s**t loads of weight!* :laugh:

ETA - Another best, my daddio said 'Those trousers have a right saggy *kitten* now!' Believe or not this is good aha

Worst: .... None, YET! Theres still 30lbs worth of 'Worst's left
  • Tldavis3s
    Tldavis3s Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Best: You look amazing and we are really proud of you!
    Best#2: My husband telling me he thought I was perfect before but he really loves my new body. :)

Worst: You are becoming anorexic.( I am 5'3 and currently 145lbs) O.o
    Worst#2: What did you take to lose the weight?
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    Best: I find it really nice when people tell me that I'm an inspiration or that I motivate them. It's just nice to hear, and I like knowing that my efforts make others want to better themselves as well.

Worst: "Since you're tall, it's easier for you to look slim!" No....that doesn't have *kitten* to do with it.
  • bongochick45
    bongochick45 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Best: Look you have a waist now! I love your figure!

Worst: You look like a buffalo in tights.
  • jennfranklin
    jennfranklin Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    BEST: You have lost an average child.

WORST: You don't need to lose any more! Why would you want to? (People badgering me, telling me what I should look like) I absolutely hate this!
  • Sharon_73
    Sharon_73 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Best: Being told I look sexy by a man I have had a wee bit of a crush on for 5 years.
    Worse: The nurse at my doctor's office writing a note on my chart to "recommend obesity conselling"
  • musicrocks133
    musicrocks133 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Best: Oh my god you look so skinny
    Worst: I lost more weight than you in less time. (Last I knew I was having a competition with myself not with anybody else)
  • DinkyDani88
    DinkyDani88 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Worst came from my sister who lost 28lbs last year & oh doesn't she love telling people, EVERYDAY: "how did you manage to put so much weight on?" Probably the same way that you did before you lost it... (She is now dietting again because she has put some back on, tehehe)

Best so far came from my boyfriend when we were talking to our friends about me losing 7lbs: "I'm really proud of her, she has said before she wants to lose weight, but this time she really means it & she's doing great" :-) Love him!