Don't Ever Give Up! My Success Story! (LOTS of pics!)

Options

Replies

• cattullos
    cattullos Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    How long was your journey from beginning to now? 50 lbs in how many months?:smile:
  • LovingCruz
    LovingCruz Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    awesome!!
  • mackemom
    mackemom Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    You look great! Thanks for sharing.
  • PrettyPearl88
    PrettyPearl88 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Persistence Pays Off. CONGRATULATIONS!!!
    Makes we want to do a celebratory dance!
    1254334927_celebration-dance.gif

LOL!!! I love the gif! And dancing! :laugh:
    But yes, persistence definitely pays off!

Wow, I'm so glad I read your story! It was very inspiring to me. I really like the emphasis you placed on the fact that weightloss is a SLOW process and that you have to slowly make changes so that they can become lifestyle changes. I always want the weight to fall off overnight, but my failures have shown me that losing weight quickly does not mean keeping it off. I can't even tell you how many times I have started over, and it can kind of become discouraging. But to hear you say that you failed a million times, but still ended up succeeding is incredibly motivating. Thank you for sharing your story. I'll be keeping you in mind when I'm frustrated with how long things are taking--if I hang in there, I'll eventually see a change. Best wishes on the rest of your journey!!

So many people I know and see on here have lost weight so much faster than I did. I don't know, maybe that worked for them. But slow worked for me. It's also helped make the changes I've made more permanent. And I think that has made it easier for me to keep going. I never killed myself. I refuse to do that. I figure if I'm making a lifestyle change and these changes are supposed to be permanent, then I shouldn't be making any changes that I can't realistically keep up on a regular basis for the next, say, 30-40 years. Like the fact that I refuse to work out for longer than an hour a day. That's probably silly to a lot of people, but I know that I can't realistically keep up with a routine that requires me to work out for 3 hours every day for the rest of my life! Ain't nobody got fo' dat! :laugh: Well, that's my philosophy. I can't promise that it's any good lol!

But yeah, failure....I know about that too well! I fail every week somewhere! :laugh: I think failures are just a part of the journey, just like a bump in the road. But you just have to keep going because if you stop at the bump you'll never get to your destination.

Keep going, girl! You can do it! *hugs* :flowerforyou:

OMG are you TRYING to make me cry at work? :sad: :flowerforyou: That was such a beautiful story and I really related to it. You are a great example of patience and consistency. You look fantastic, congratulations!

Oh no LOL!!! :laugh: Well, I'm sorry I made you cry at work, but I am thankful that I could encourage you well! Thank you for your kind words! *hugs*
    Thank you so much for this! I am right on target with you... same height, same goals. This is really an inspiration. I'm just at the beginning of my journey... down to 173.5 from just over 180 at my peak (that .5 is important, dart it!). Thanks for the motivation to keep it up!

ANOTHER TWIN!!! YAY!!!! :bigsmile: *hugs*

You can do it! Keep going! Or as Dory says, "Just keep swimming" LOL! :tongue:

How long was your journey from beginning to now? 50 lbs in how many months?:smile:

I may have mixed up a couple of the dates in my original post, but let me think....

The before pictures that I have up there are actually from the summer of 2009. I didn't start losing weight until the next summer, but my weight remained about the same from summer 2009 to summer 2010 (I'm guessing because my clothes fit the same all that year.) I have very few pictures from between summer 2009 and summer 2010 that are entire body shots, so I used the ones from 2009 that I showed you all. I weighed in at 178 lbs in May of 2010 (based on a doctor's physical for my job as a camp counselor) and I started losing weight that same summer. I hit 129 lbs just the other day, for the first time. So May 2010 to April 2013 is right around 35/36 months. Like I said, it was REAL SLOW lol! :laugh: But that's okay! :bigsmile:
  • SexyLovinmeCook
    SexyLovinmeCook Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    You look 10 years younger than your old pictures! WTG! You look terrific!!!!

I must co-signed..I had to read the story to make sure it wasn't mother and daughter! WOW....IF that ain't inspiration I don't know what is....Thanks for sharing....YOU LOOK GOOD GIRL!
  • amandammmq
    amandammmq Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    You have always been completely cute, but you are now so much more fit and healthy! Congratulations on completing a 5K and on all of your hard work!
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,930 Member
    Options
    I'm so happy there is a "slow-and-steady" post about weight loss. I think you have the RIGHT idea and I'm sure lots of mfp followers can learn from your story!

Congratulations!
  • lcfairbairn74
    lcfairbairn74 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Amazing!! Well done for never giving up! And reminding us that it takes as long as it takes.
    You look fabulous!!:drinker:
  • BranMuffin947
    BranMuffin947 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    thank you so much for sharing =]

I am the same height, HW: 167 GW: 120-125 & currently 130, hoping to knock off the last 5lbs before bathing suit season...

FINALLY I can go out on the beach & wear a bathing suit!!
  • MeIShouldB
    MeIShouldB Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I decided to post this in honor of yesterday. And for all of you, to encourage anyone that may be encouraged by my story and by my journey. My journey is a long one of very SLOW weight loss. It's long, but consistent; slow, but steady. So, here's my story of being a former chubby girl, of losing almost 50 lbs, and going from a size 14/16 to a size 4/6:

I was ALWAYS chubby growing up, always, even in elementary school. For as long as I can remember (from the age of 4) I hated myself and my body because I thought I was too fat and ugly. I was bullied growing up for being "fat and ugly." The only time in my life where I was at my lowest weight I was only at the very high end of a normal BMI. The lowest weight I had ever been (since I was a kid, obviously) was right around 140 lbs and that was when I was 14. And because I'm pretty short (I'm only 5'4") extra weight doesn't good on me at all.

I gained even more weight in college and reached my highest weight of 178 lbs and size 14/16. I hated myself and what I had become. I was very unhappy. I wanted to change, but I felt like I just couldn't, like it wasn't possible. I tried eating healthier and even counting calories a little bit but I could never keep up with it long enough and I never saw results. I tried exercising but I got winded so darn easily and could barely burn any calories at all. (I couldn't even jog slowly for 5 minutes without dying.) It seemed like every other day I'd have a huge fail that would ruin everything, so I just gave up. I didn't think I could lose the weight. I was 21 and this was supposed to be the prime of my life. I figured that that was the best I was gonna look, that this was the best my life was gonna get, and that I might as well settle for being the fat, ugly, invisible girl.

The summer I was 22, which was the summer of 2010, I worked as a camp counselor for my city's kids' day camp. I was outside playing with those kids all day. Near the end of the summer, I started to notice that my new jeans I had bought in May were kind of loose, but I just figured that I had worn them out or something. But then a week or so later, my dad made a comment that I was looking skinnier and asked if I had lost weight. I checked the scale and low and behold, I had lost about 7-8 lbs!!! And I hadn't even been trying! That gave me the motivation I needed because I saw that I clearly could lose weight. And that summer I made a promise to myself: that I would finally do everything in my power and give my all so that I could finally look the way I've always wanted to look. And I made a goal: 130 lbs and a size 6 jeans.

Over the next almost 3 years, I slowly (VERY slowly) started cutting out lots of bad food from my diet: soda (I was a HUGE Coca-Cola drinker), fries, sweets, etc. I also worked on portion control. I tried to exercise as much as I could. Usually that ended up being only 3 or so times a week and just walking, but that was better than nothing! I tried portion control. And finally, I tried counting calories with another app. Then I got a Fitbit for Christmas last December and switched to MFP (because it syncs with my Fitbit) but now I like MFP so much better lol than that other app I was using! Little by little, I tried to make as many healthy choices as I could in each day, taking it one day at a time. I lost weight REAL SLOWLY (it took me almost 3 years LOL!) and I had several plateaus in the last 3 years too. I failed probably A MILLION TIMES. But I believe that what made me so successful this time is 2 things. First, that I never "dieted;" I didn't do anything too extreme or too difficult because I wanted every change I made to be a permanent lifestyle change, not just a temporary change. And second, I never gave up. Even when I failed over and over and over, I still tried again and kept going.

As I started getting scarily close to my goal in the last several months, I became more and more motivated. I started making NEW goals for myself. First, I decided to challenge myself even further and make a dream goal to weigh 120 lbs and fit into a size 4 perfectly. I decided that one day, I was going to compete in a triathlon (something I've always wanted to do since I used to be a swimmer when I was growing up). But in order to even attempt a triathlon, I needed to become a runner. :noway: I'd always failed MISERABLY at running. I could never even JOG a MILE without stopping to walk. I made it my goal to run a mile...and then I did! And then I pushed myself further and decided to run 3 MILES in a 5k so I signed up for The Color Vibe and I ACTUALLY DID IT! I jogged the whole thing without walking at all! And now...well I NEVER thought I'd say this....but I think I've actually caught some of the "running bug." I actually LIKE running now! :laugh: I seriously cannot believe I'm even saying this! (I was always very vocal about how much I HATED running LOL!) :laugh: One of my new goals is to run a half marathon! Specifically the Princess one at Disney! :bigsmile:

I was seeing results, but still I often thought that all of that was just a dream that would never really come true. Even though I was so close, I still never thought I'd see the day where I would weigh close to 130 lbs. But ladies and gents of MFP, I wrote all of this for you all today because THAT DAY CAME! As of yesterday, I have officially reached my original of 130 lbs (and a size 6, though I can even fit into some major vanity 4s too lol!) I stood on the scale yesterday at the gym for the first time in a couple weeks and the scale read: 129.2!!!

So, as promised, I have lots of pictures! Here is the OLD me. This is the girl I used to be. I'm only 21 in these pictures, but all the extra weight makes me look so much older.

before1p.jpg

before3r.jpg

before4.jpg

before5k.jpg

My mom and I. She's stayed about the same weight and size in the last 3 years, so take note of my size compared to hers:

before6d.jpg

And now...here's the NEW me! The new young woman I've become (and am still getting used to). Many people who used to know me before don't even recognize me anymore! :laugh: So here I am after losing almost 50 lbs! All of these pics were taken in the last few weeks.

131lbs.jpg

after4l.jpg

after3d.jpg

after2a.jpg

after1v.jpg

129lbs.jpg

And here is a progression of pictures showing my weight loss over time. Here I am again at my highest weight of 178 lbs:
    178lbs.jpg

The very beginning of my journey! Here it's fall of 2010. I'm with my mom and I'm around 168 lbs:
    168lbs.jpg

In these next two pictures, I'm somewhere in the 155-163 range:
    155lbs.jpg
    160lbs.jpg

Here, I was in the low 150s, probably somewhere around 152-153:
    150lbs.jpg

This pic is from my trip to Spain last March (March 2012, that is). I was right around 150 lbs here:
    150lbs2.jpg

I'm already starting to look a lot better and feel a LOT more confident! Here I'm close to 145 lbs:
    145lbs.jpg

Early last fall, right after starting law school. I'm 138 lbs in these next two pics. Before this, the last time I had ever weighed this little was when I was 14 and a freshman in high school:
    138lbs.jpg
    138lbs2.jpg

Trying on another dress (that I can't afford LOL!) in a department store. I'm around 135:
    135lbs2.jpg

Another pic of around 135, but NOW look at me when I stand next to my mom:
    135lbs.jpg

Last month. I'm around 133 lbs here and at my VERY FIRST 5k!!! (And I ran the entire thing too, didn't walk at all!) I was so proud of myself that day because I never thought I could run 3 miles!
    133lbs.jpg

At a formal event for my school a couple weeks ago. I'm 131 lbs:
    after1v.jpg

And finally, taken just yesterday...129 lbs:
    129lbs.jpg

Just recently, I started working with a personal trainer. My new weight goal of 120 lbs is really only an approximate. I'm more focused on toning, strength training, and losing some body fat right now. But still, I have never been so proud of myself as I am now! I just wanted to share my story with all of you to remind you that not only can you REACH AND LIVE your dreams...but YOU CAN DO SO MUCH MORE THAN THAT! Your body is capable of so much more than you can even imagine in your wildest dreams! I never even IMAGINED that I would work towards running a half marathon and now I am! I never IMAGINED that I'd be in a gym with a trainer lifting weights! I never IMAGINED I'd be 25 and at the lowest weight I've ever been in my adult life! It's POSSIBLE! But only if you NEVER GIVE UP! Even if you go slow and even if it's taking FOREVER to see even the slightest results, that's OKAY! KEEP TRYING! All of those little efforts will add up over time! I went so ridiculously slow, but you know what?

Slow and steady wins the race. After all, it was the tortoise that won the race in the end and not the hare, remember? :bigsmile:

So good luck, MFPers! God bless your weight loss journey and don't ever give up!

Love,
    PrettyPearl (also known as Rose)

THIS MADE ME EYED. I AM TRYING TO LOSE 50 POUNDS TOO AND WAS 22 WHEN I STARTED SO I FEEL I CAN RELATE ALOT TO YOU.
  • gmansmom2
    gmansmom2 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Amazing work! I know you have to be so proud of yourself! You look beautiful!
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Great loss and an awesome smile! That last side pic too...yum. Looking good.
  • MNA76
    MNA76 Posts: 1,541
    Options
    You're gorgeous!! Great job!!
  • saminmio
    saminmio Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Even when you were heavier at the start you were really a pretty girl - now you're gorgeous. Congrats you deserve it.
  • marieayr
    marieayr Posts: 3
    Options
    you look great, im stuck at moment, lost 16 pounds but need to lose another 14 quickly, my son is geting married in august and i bought an outfit 2 size to small to give me inspiration, but it is still bout 4 inch gape at bust, im starting to panic now, any tips please !!
  • skinnycatrina
    skinnycatrina Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    OMG!!! You look FABULOUS .... Congratulations girl . You ARE an inspiration!
  • skinnycatrina
    skinnycatrina Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Start the alternate day diet ... You will lose it safely ... Check out the website alternatedaydiet.com or better still buy the book (or e-book) The Alternate Day Diet .... it's healthy and fast.
  • wendalyse
    wendalyse Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Great to see! You really look fantastic! Sometimes when we hit those darn plateaus it's hard to keep motivated. The next time when I think nothing's happening, I'll think back to your success story and stay motivated. Thank you.
  • Lets_Get_Healthy_Baby
    Options
    One word. WOW!! Is all that I could say. amazing job. I am the same height and started 10lbs havier than you did, so , reading your story really hit home with how I have been feeling lately with slowed losses. you have given me hope that I could do it! Thank you soooooo much for your inspiration. Much needed.
  • pheralyn
    pheralyn Posts: 2
    Options
    Congratulations! You look fantastic! Thank you for sharing. Today is my very first day on MFP so your story is really encouraging! And oh yes, good luck with your half marathon and triatholon.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!