Level Obstacles: Lose Weight, Target Fat! (EASY!!)

Options

Replies

• jcoco
    jcoco Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Fantastic, thanks so much, always happy when I find out I should be eating more!
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Question about this... would it be reasonable to just eat at the level of your goal weight and just slowly lose that way?

I've heard about this. I have not researched it.

Doing some quick math and using plug numbers for a 6'0", 200 lb, 25 year old male, if you eat at maintenance for a 170lb individual, that would be 2250 calories per day. If you weigh 200, your TDEE ceteris paribus is 2450, which means you're only eating a 200 calorie deficit. Slow is great but that seems unnecessarily slow, especially considering that your deficit infinitely narrows as you approach your target weight.
  • BurtHuttz
    Options
    And thank you so much everyone, for your positive feedback. On behalf of everyone who contributed, I can't tell you how gratified we all are that this was helpful.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Question about this... would it be reasonable to just eat at the level of your goal weight and just slowly lose that way?

I've heard about this. I have not researched it.

Doing some quick math and using plug numbers for a 6'0", 200 lb, 25 year old male, if you eat at maintenance for a 170lb individual, that would be 2250 calories per day. If you weigh 200, your TDEE ceteris paribus is 2450, which means you're only eating a 200 calorie deficit. Slow is great but that seems unnecessarily slow, especially considering that your deficit infinitely narrows as you approach your target weight.

It is pretty much the way fat2fitradio's target calories work. They say to deduct 200 - 300 from that number the closer you get to goal.

ETA: I agree that it is a valid method, but can be unnecessarily slow.
  • jilly1130
    jilly1130 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jmlosingit
    jmlosingit Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    thanks..saving for later!
  • shutupandmove257
    Options
    LOL!! You sure about all this? Well to each their own. Thanks for the input. :D
  • Falenea
    Falenea Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this very easy to follow
  • Falenea
    Options
    So I can calculate a basic calorie level with built in calories for exercise and a built in deficit and do away with logging what I burned through exercise? I kinda like this idea.
  • BurtHuttz
    Options
    So I can calculate a basic calorie level with built in calories for exercise and a built in deficit and do away with logging what I burned through exercise? I kinda like this idea.

Yes - that would be your true average TDEE, and as long as it's fairly accurate and you don't change anything, then yes. Eating 2000 today and 2000 tomorrow is basically the same as eating 1700 today and 2300 tomorrow. We could go down rabbit holes of golden windows and glycogen replenishment etc etc, but if you're getting started, keep it simple!
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Yep! For those who like logging you can still log things as 1 calorie without it affecting your goals if you want a log of what you have done. Or if you would rather log them regularly because of a wonky schedule etc you can pick your regular activity TDEE (ie sedentary if desk job) and consistently log all your exercise from there.
  • Yellerie
    Yellerie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Great info! Thank you for posting :)
  • Falenea
    Options
    Yep! For those who like logging you can still log things as 1 calorie without it affecting your goals if you want a log of what you have done. Or if you would rather log them regularly because of a wonky schedule etc you can pick your regular activity TDEE (ie sedentary if desk job) and consistently log all your exercise from there.

Thanks so much! This rocks!
  • gettinthere
    gettinthere Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    bump to read later
  • MarshaMole
    MarshaMole Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jazzygurl333
    Options
    bump:happy:
  • shanneymc
    shanneymc Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • klancyjv
    klancyjv Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Easiest explanation I've found of TDEE and deficits so far. Thanks!
  • kittengetsclean
    kittengetsclean Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Thank you! That gave a ton of information (and a few laughs). Being short, my TDEE and 20% reduction actually puts me close to 1200 anyways, but it's always a good reminder that you need to use your brain while using MFP!
  • mikey1976
    mikey1976 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    bump to come back to tomorrow. thanks for post this