Level Obstacles: Lose Weight, Target Fat! (EASY!!)

Options

Replies

• ktrn0312
    ktrn0312 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this concise information.
  • cjhamh
    cjhamh Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    bump
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    Oh.

Huzzah!
  • Yooperm35
    Yooperm35 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    this is where I get confused. So do I set MFP to my BMR with my activity set to sedentary and eat back all of my calories - or do I set my activity to moderate set my MFP to the TDEE and log my exercise and eat back all of my calories?

I haven't seen much movement in the scale, so I don't know if setting my BMR to 1300 and eating back ALL of my exercise calories (I put in that I have an active lifestyle) is backfiring - and I should eat less or if I am not eating enough.

My BMR is 1335
    My TDEE is 2070

I burn about 500 calories 4-5 days a week exercising and on those days eat about 1700-1800 calories

Where are you getting the TDEE from (fitnessfrog?) and what activity level are you putting in?
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

I am 5'2.5" - 138lb - 44 years old activity level of 3-5 hours week/moderate
  • Jennical
    Jennical Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Bump....
  • spirit05
    spirit05 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Awesome post!
    Bump for reference!
  • lilsassymom
    lilsassymom Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Elibasia
    Elibasia Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • ParkerH47
    ParkerH47 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    you rock.
  • bored2pieces2
    Options
    Yay, thanks for the post!
    :bigsmile:
  • allikat93
    allikat93 Posts: 236
    Options
    Bump
  • NomNomMom
    NomNomMom Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Good info to read later & keep. Sounds like "sound advice"
  • vzryder
    vzryder Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    many thanks for setting this out and making it so easy to follow and comprehend!
  • deemartin2
    deemartin2 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Love this!!
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    this is where I get confused. So do I set MFP to my BMR with my activity set to sedentary and eat back all of my calories - or do I set my activity to moderate set my MFP to the TDEE and log my exercise and eat back all of my calories?

I haven't seen much movement in the scale, so I don't know if setting my BMR to 1300 and eating back ALL of my exercise calories (I put in that I have an active lifestyle) is backfiring - and I should eat less or if I am not eating enough.

My BMR is 1335
    My TDEE is 2070

I burn about 500 calories 4-5 days a week exercising and on those days eat about 1700-1800 calories

Where are you getting the TDEE from (fitnessfrog?) and what activity level are you putting in?

Hello! I'm kind of confused to what your first post said, there were a few things that didn't make sense to me.
    #1. Since you mentioned BMR with activity level...I'd like to point out BMR does not change with activity level, you may know this already but figured it's worth mentioning.

#2 What do you mean by set MFP to your BMR and activity set to sedentary? On MFP you can either:
    - set your goal calories, which doesn't give you an activity option like sedentary
    - or use the custom button that doesn't allow you to set a value and that is the guy that has activity levels set to it.

#3 If we talk about TDEE (BMR plus exercise calories plus a bunch of other stuff) for a second, first I'd like to point out that the goal on MFP is not a TDEE. Your actual TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) should include everything, including exercise. If you are sure you have MFP set up so that your log includes exercise, you do not log exercise, as that would be logging it twice. If you are choosing your sedentary TDEE, you do log exercise. Personally I'm not sedentary and I pick sedentary just because I like logging the exercise but that over complicates things for some people. Also, eating at your TDEE makes you maintain weight. Eat slightly below it to lose. I mention that as you didn't say anything about a cut.

If you're eating slightly below your TDEE and you're not losing, I'd take a look at how your logging. Are you using a scale, are you using accurate values, what are you using to log exercises, is that accurate, etc.
  • Maribabewhich
    Maribabewhich Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

My BMR is 1335
    My TDEE is 2070

Do you prefer eating to a static number (the same each day) or do you prefer having more calories when you exercise? (It ends up the same average for the week, just distributed differently).
  • Witchmoo
    Witchmoo Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Wow....a post I understand.....I don't go on to read all the nay sayers that no doubt appear somewhere because they just get on my chuff!

Thank you for a clear and concise post!
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    CaffeinatedConfectionist Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Tagging to have in my feed so I can share. This is great info for beginners, very clearly explained in layman's terms, thanks to everyone for the work that went into this.
  • Yooperm35
    Yooperm35 Posts: 787 Member
    Options

My BMR is 1335
    My TDEE is 2070

Hello! I'm kind of confused to what your first post said, there were a few things that didn't make sense to me.
    #1. Since you mentioned BMR with activity level...I'd like to point out BMR does not change with activity level, you may know this already but figured it's worth mentioning.

#2 What do you mean by set MFP to your BMR and activity set to sedentary? On MFP you can either:
    - set your goal calories, which doesn't give you an activity option like sedentary
    - or use the custom button that doesn't allow you to set a value and that is the guy that has activity levels set to it.

#3 If we talk about TDEE (BMR plus exercise calories plus a bunch of other stuff) for a second, first I'd like to point out that the goal on MFP is not a TDEE. Your actual TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) should include everything, including exercise. If you are sure you have MFP set up so that your log includes exercise, you do not log exercise, as that would be logging it twice. If you are choosing your sedentary TDEE, you do log exercise. Personally I'm not sedentary and I pick sedentary just because I like logging the exercise but that over complicates things for some people. Also, eating at your TDEE makes you maintain weight. Eat slightly below it to lose. I mention that as you didn't say anything about a cut.

If you're eating slightly below your TDEE and you're not losing, I'd take a look at how your logging. Are you using a scale, are you using accurate values, what are you using to log exercises, is that accurate, etc.

1) Yes, I understand that BMR is based on age, sex, height and weight :). I guess I should have said net calories consumed based on my BMR where I can manually change my goals

2) by setting MFP to BMR I mean putting 1335 as my net goal and setting fitness goals to 0 and then logging my exercise calories in daily. (Custom or Manually changing MFP goals)
    If using guided option- I can choose my activity level- should I choose sedentary and add exercise calories?

3)or should I set my goal in the custom to my TDEE which is 2070 set the fitness goals to 0 and add in my exercise calories daily and eat below my custom number?
    I use a scale and weigh everything and use a polar HRM for calorie burn calculations.

I currently eat about 1700 calories when I exercise (burning about 400-500 calories). Am I eating too little since I am netting 1200-1300 calories? I am currently maintaining weigh which makes no sense with a calorie deficit, so I'm either eating too little and working out too much or eating too much and working out too little. Trying to adjust MFP to move the scale again