Level Obstacles: Lose Weight, Target Fat! (EASY!!)

Options

Replies

• jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    Bump to have in my newsfeed.
  • vanessawaw
    vanessawaw Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    mine is 2375 - 30% = 1660, omg i eat too much deficit last past months! only eating 1200kcal max/day *die* :cry: :cry: :cry:
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Awesome post, but just a tiny nit-pick with this:
    There are 3500 calories in a pound of fat, so if you burn 3500 more calories than you eat, you will lose a pound of fat.

If you burn 3500 more calories than you eat, you will burn stored energy then metabolise body tissue, some of which will be fat.

Don;t hate me :blushing:
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Awesome post, but just a tiny nit-pick with this:
    There are 3500 calories in a pound of fat, so if you burn 3500 more calories than you eat, you will lose a pound of fat.

If you burn 3500 more calories than you eat, you will burn stored energy then metabolise body tissue, some of which will be fat.

Don;t hate me :blushing:

I don't hate you, I agree with you :flowerforyou:
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Don't forget about BMR though- in many cases - including mine, TDEE - 20% is lower than my BMR, and you should always try to stay at least at BMR, no lower. As a result, I have to reduce my deficit to TDEE - 15 %.
    Very good point. I was in the same situation. If I had my time back my recommendation would be to start moving more.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Don't forget about BMR though- in many cases - including mine, TDEE - 20% is lower than my BMR, and you should always try to stay at least at BMR, no lower. As a result, I have to reduce my deficit to TDEE - 15 %.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with eating below BMR if your TDEE-deficit for the day dictates it.

If it happens often, then it should be a cue that you need to exercise more. But that's it.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

There is absolutely nothing wrong with eating below BMR if your TDEE-deficit for the day dictates it.

If it happens often, then it should be a cue that you need to exercise more. But that's it.

Or reduce your deficit. Chances are if your TDEE - deficit cut is lower than your BMR on a regular, you are choosing too high of a weight loss goal.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Or reduce your deficit. Chances are if your TDEE - deficit cut is lower than your BMR on a regular, you are choosing too high of a weight loss goal.

On the contrary. Mathematically, sedentary TDEE minus 20% is 4% less than BMR.

Sedentary TDEE is BMR*1.2. TDEE - 20% = (BMR * 1.2) * 0.8 = BMR * 0.96

So sedentary TDEE - 20% is a hair below BMR.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    In for shenan...er, I mean, in for awesome.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

On the contrary. Mathematically, sedentary TDEE minus 20% is 4% less than BMR.

Sedentary TDEE is BMR*1.2. TDEE - 20% = (BMR * 1.2) * 0.8 = BMR * 0.96

So sedentary TDEE - 20% is a hair below BMR.

I thought this was the simple thread.

Not everyone is sedentary.
  • CoderGal
    Options

I don't recommend eating below people BMR. Groups of my hair started hanging out in the shower a little to quickly for my liking.
  • BurtHuttz
    Options
    :-)
  • CoderGal
    Options
    ^ BMR?
    Woops! Thank you! lol
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,098 Member
    Options
    Eating under BMR should really only be for those who are obese. In that case, it's okay, the body has enough fat to utilize to sustain function.

It's when you get to a lower BF% that eating above BMR is important. The body wants to keep some fat on. Going too low is where you get lean body mass loss.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    Eating under BMR should really only be for those who are obese. In that case, it's okay, the body has enough fat to utilize to sustain function.

It's when you get to a lower BF% that eating above BMR is important. The body wants to keep some fat on. Going too low is where you get lean body mass loss.

Very wise.
  • BurtHuttz
    Options

Very wise.

Concur.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    ^this
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • cwood2002
    cwood2002 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Bump
    Love all the info - thank you everyone!:smile:
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

^this