Another (potential) strike against red meat

Options
bcattoes
bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/news/fullstory_135662.html

Compound in Red Meat, Energy Drinks May Have Heart Disease Link
Gut bacteria break down carnitine into another substance that damages blood vessels, study finds

SUNDAY, April 7 (HealthDay News) -- A compound found in red meat and added as a supplement to popular energy drinks promotes hardening and clogging of the arteries, otherwise known as atherosclerosis, a new study suggests.

Researchers say that bacteria in the digestive tract convert the compound, called carnitine, into trimethylamine-N-oxide (TMAO). Previous research by the same team of Cleveland Clinic investigators found that TMAO promotes atherosclerosis in people.

And there was an another twist: The study also found that a diet high in carnitine encourages the growth of the bacteria that metabolize the compound, leading to even higher TMAO production.

Replies

• darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    Bacon is still better.
  • 2FatToRun
    2FatToRun Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    The person above is a genius!

I just read your profile and I STAND behind this comment lol

TYFYS :heart:
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    *yawn*

You'll always be able to find research one way or the other.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I like this part:

"Even after consuming a large amount of carnitine, vegans and vegetarians did not produce significant levels of TMAO, while omnivores did, according to the study in the current issue of the journal Nature Medicine."

So, even being part-time vegetarian has health benefits!
  • soldier4242
    soldier4242 Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Could red meat be trying to kill your children? Are makers of red meat advocates of some religion other than yours? Is red meat part of a scheme to bankrupt the nation? More at 11.
  • Tw1zzler
    Tw1zzler Posts: 583
    Options
    Commie propaganda.
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    i love red meat - bacteria and all -- I don't even wash my veggies
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I don't remember the study or the exact amount, but I read that the amount of red meat needed to cause such issues was quite high. I definitely remember the amount being higher than the amount of meat my carnivorous boyfriend eats in an entire day.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    Bacon is still better.

Bacon is red meat.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    I like this part:

"Even after consuming a large amount of carnitine, vegans and vegetarians did not produce significant levels of TMAO, while omnivores did, according to the study in the current issue of the journal Nature Medicine."

So, even being part-time vegetarian has health benefits!

It doesn't say they consumed it from meat.
  • LavenderBouquet
    LavenderBouquet Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    While red meats do have much higher levels of carnitine, you could potentially get "unsafe" levels from white meat, dairy, and other animal products as well. Carnitine is important for the body as well, just like anything it's important in moderation. I don't think it makes sense to point at red meat and scare people away from it.
  • Yellerie
    Yellerie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Bacon is still better.

Bacon is red meat.

Since when did Bacon become red meat? It's usually Pork (the other white meat) or Turkey (again white meat)
  • bcattoes
    Options
    I don't remember the study or the exact amount, but I read that the amount of red meat needed to cause such issues was quite high. I definitely remember the amount being higher than the amount of meat my carnivorous boyfriend eats in an entire day.

Well yes, surely one would not expect one day of eating red meat (or anything else) to have lasting health consequences. It's nearly always a pattern of eating over time that has consequences.
  • TheStephil
    TheStephil Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Bacon is still better.

Bacon is red meat.

Bacon is awesome.
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    I eat my steak with a bottle of red wine. This way I am assured that all bacteria is alcoholized and neautralized! :drinker:
  • bcattoes
    Options
    Bacon is still better.

Bacon is red meat.

Since when did Bacon become red meat? It's usually Pork (the other white meat) or Turkey (again white meat)

Strictly speaking bacon is always smoked and cured pork belly (though people may at times label other things such as turkey made to taste similar as "bacon"). While the pork council marketing department may call pork "the other white meat", it is generally considered red meat by nutritionists and researchers.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    I eat my steak with a bottle of red wine. This way I am assured that all bacteria is alcoholized and neautralized! :drinker:

LOL Sounds reasonable. Follow-up study is needed though. Now where can I sign up for that?
  • ApexLeader
    ApexLeader Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    just keep your body fat percentage low and you probably don't have to worry about heart disease
  • Klem4
    Klem4 Posts: 399 Member
    Options

Sounds like a good plan to me.

Every week there is always something new that's bad for you. meh.
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options

Well yes, surely one would not expect one day of eating red meat (or anything else) to have lasting health consequences. It's nearly always a pattern of eating over time that has consequences.

Perhaps I should have worded it better but the amount given was for red meat consumed per day. The study followed people who had a certain amount of red meat per day and found problems with their health. The amount was very high-- higher than I've ever seen anyone consume in a day. It also mentioned that a lesser amount consumed on a daily basis was not problematic. Doesn't worry me either way as I don't much enjoy the flavor of red meat anyway.