Another (potential) strike against red meat

Options

Replies

• SadKitty27
    SadKitty27 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Breaking news, Living leads to death; More at 11 !

Seriously though, I'm going to enjoy my steak dinner tonight, and I'm not going to care about this study.
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I'll take bacon on my burger....
    with a side of red wine.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    How were the animals fed? What was in the feed? What hormones were added to the meat? Where was the meat from? What was the source of drinking water? etc etc.

Lots of variables, not covered by the study. No doubt there was also variance in the diets of said people... which again, could cause a variance in how they respond to the meat (e.g. natural variances in the populace across the world due to foods they consume(d) in that area over last 50-100 years etc.

All a bit simple IMO.

It's just one study. But since the problem appears to be the carnitine I wonder how much some of those variables matter. Does grass fed meat have less carnitine than factory farmed?

Yes it does, different nutrient levels in food = different results possibly.

And indeed, who were the people tested? What ethnicity etc?

No every race, ethnicity etc have the same digestive setup down to natural variances based on foods consumed in area. Which then moves you into another question - is the area the test done new to the types of red meat or levels of it?

To make a good assessment, these variances must be taken into account.

Naw, it's easier just to fear monger with insufficient data. What a joke.

Publishing a study is not fear mongering.

No, thats pushing the study into media who don't understand statistical analysis fully, and giving them a little info so it stirs up a storm and the study/authors noticed, so your next study gets funded as you need...
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    This thread makes me crave a steak.
  • Erica_theRedhead
    Erica_theRedhead Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Humans have been omnivores for thousands of years. The increase incidence of atherosclerosis is not caused by the consumption of red meat, it's caused by overconsumption of many food items, along with increasingly sendentary lifestyles.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    How were the animals fed? What was in the feed? What hormones were added to the meat? Where was the meat from? What was the source of drinking water? etc etc.

Lots of variables, not covered by the study. No doubt there was also variance in the diets of said people... which again, could cause a variance in how they respond to the meat (e.g. natural variances in the populace across the world due to foods they consume(d) in that area over last 50-100 years etc.

All a bit simple IMO.

It's just one study. But since the problem appears to be the carnitine I wonder how much some of those variables matter. Does grass fed meat have less carnitine than factory farmed?

No every race, ethnicity etc have the same digestive setup down to natural variances based on foods consumed in area. Which then moves you into another question - is the area the test done new to the types of red meat or levels of it?

No, thats pushing the study into media who don't understand statistical analysis fully, and giving them a little info so it stirs up a storm and the study/authors noticed, so your next study gets funded as you need...

QFT
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I heard on the news the other day that going low carb causes cancer..................
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    Here's the Natural Medicine link, but not the full study.

http://www.nature.com/nm/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/nm.3145.html

Yeah, that appears to be that same one. I would imagine the full study is or soon will be available on pubmed since the NIH published a release about it.
    From what I found so far it's the association of lipid metabolism by gut microbes on heart disease and not red meat per se. One of the metabolites that are broken down is converted to cloline and meat, fish and many plants are sources. The increase in foam cells was from apoE mice which are genetically altered and predisposed for purposes of heart disease research, which is normal. The dose given was 1%, which is high apparently and not very realistic. For me it's alwasy about context and dosage. Personally I think the Author was looking for a little sensationalism to get the reader interested, but what this really is about is gut flora and problems that can be associated with it......the full study would be nice. Again epidemiology is not cause and effect is's just conversation that needs to be researched again and again to see where it leads.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Eh, I just have everything in moderation.
    Red meat once a month.
    White meat twice a week.
    Fish a few times a week.
    Vegetables and legumes the rest of the time.
    And hope for the best, lol.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options

All a bit simple IMO.
    better question yet which most of these morons fail to make.

Are they in a hypercaloric state?
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Here's the Natural Medicine link, but not the full study.

http://www.nature.com/nm/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/nm.3145.html

Yeah, that appears to be that same one. I would imagine the full study is or soon will be available on pubmed since the NIH published a release about it.
    From what I found so far it's the association of lipid metabolism by gut microbes on heart disease and not red meat per se. One of the metabolites that are broken down is converted to cloline and meat, fish and many plants are sources. The increase in foam cells was from apoE mice which are genetically altered and predisposed for purposes of heart disease research, which is normal. The dose given was 1%, which is high apparently and not very realistic. For me it's alwasy about context and dosage. Personally I think the Author was looking for a little sensationalism to get the reader interested, but what this really is about is gut flora and problems that can be associated with it......the full study would be nice. Again epidemiology is not cause and effect is's just conversation that needs to be researched again and again to see where it leads.

Yes, fear mongering does sell. Doesn't it?
  • btoeps74
    btoeps74 Posts: 167 Member
    Options

All a bit simple IMO.

Apparently they are being fed energy drinks. Whats a sick twisted world we live in lol
  • SJackson50
    SJackson50 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Bacon is still better.

Bacon is red meat.

Bacon is awesome.

Bacon is meat candy!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

All a bit simple IMO.

The NIH is in the business of publishing studies. It's not as if they are "media" like the local news. It's not their fault if people can't understand and call a simple study "fear mongering". Should they just not publish studies?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    http://examine.com/blog/media-sensationalism:-meat-is-bad-for-your-heart/

"TL;DR?

The study found that in genetically modified mice, a high (but not impossible) dosage of l-carnitine did double plaque buildup. This may or may not be related to TMAO, we cannot say. This may or may not happen in humans, we cannot say. Overall? It's just preliminary research that should only interest other researchers, not the layperson.
    At this time, restricting your carnitine consumption is not a prudent response for most people."
  • Admiral_Derp
    Admiral_Derp Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mb8mhmmE4R1ruqdo9.gif
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    Breaking news, Living leads to death; More at 11 !

Well, Crap!
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    http://examine.com/blog/media-sensationalism:-meat-is-bad-for-your-heart/

"TL;DR?

The study found that in genetically modified mice, a high (but not impossible) dosage of l-carnitine did double plaque buildup. This may or may not be related to TMAO, we cannot say. This may or may not happen in humans, we cannot say. Overall? It's just preliminary research that should only interest other researchers, not the layperson.
    At this time, restricting your carnitine consumption is not a prudent response for most people."

The study also found that in human subjects who were not long-term vegetarians, carnitine increased serum TMAO levels. It's important to realize that part of the study involved actual humans.

How bad is that? That's what we don't know. But TMAO does appear to be associated with cardiovascular disease.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    33110506_1131.jpg
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    Bacon is still better.

Bacon is red meat.

lol no