What is the lowest calorie bread you have found?

Replies

• GamerLady
    GamerLady Posts: 359 Member
    I don't eat bread often so it's lettuce for me if I wrap a burger or something.
  • baileybiddles
    baileybiddles Posts: 457 Member
    Many brands of bread now have "light" breads that average 40 to 45 calories per slice. They're just thinner, slightly smaller slices of bread.

I've actually basically cut out bread completely so I no longer have to worry about the high calories in bread if I want a sandwich. :) The only bread I consume now is Pepperidge Farm Deli Flats, 100% Whole Wheat. 100 calories for the entire thing and extremely tasty.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Aunt Millie's Wholegrain bread - 35 calories per slice. You can have a great grilled cheese sandwich, using "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter" spray and your total calorie count will be 115. (That's using Kraft Singles cheese.)

This is the only bread I eat now.

Dear gawd, that is the most unhealthy meal I've heard of! It's so much healthier to actually eat REAL food that isn't loaded with chemicals. I either eat sprouted grain bread with a slice of organic colby cheese (100 calories for the cheese and 80 calories per slice of bread) and I used real raw butter to cook it all with. Yes, it's higher calories but I wouldn't touch the carcinogenics in butter spray and there is no nutritional value in those breads.

Dear gawd, I don't believe they asked for your opinion on what they eat.
  • katscoots
    katscoots Posts: 255 Member
    Pepperidge Farms and Sara Lee both have a 45 calorie per slice option. I find them both to be very good.
  • ms_leanne
    ms_leanne Posts: 523
    I'm in the UK and currently eating Warburton's pitta bread. It's basically a round pitta that is cut in half. A half is 85 cals or if you fancy more than half it's 170 cals.
  • baileybiddles
    I am in Massachusets and we have a store called Market Basket. They have a store brand, "Lite" oatmeal bread that is 35 calories per slice. They also have wheat and white I believe. Lowest I've found, and tastes good too.

Up in New Hampshire, loooveee Market Basket!
  • baileybiddles
    Aunt Millie's Wholegrain bread - 35 calories per slice. You can have a great grilled cheese sandwich, using "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter" spray and your total calorie count will be 115. (That's using Kraft Singles cheese.)

Dear gawd, that is the most unhealthy meal I've heard of! It's so much healthier to actually eat REAL food that isn't loaded with chemicals. I either eat sprouted grain bread with a slice of organic colby cheese (100 calories for the cheese and 80 calories per slice of bread) and I used real raw butter to cook it all with. Yes, it's higher calories but I wouldn't touch the carcinogenics in butter spray and there is no nutritional value in those breads.

HAHAHAHA this :)
  • triinityz
    triinityz Posts: 146 Member
    A lettuce leaf. Seriously, LOL! That's what I use to wrap sandwich fixings in, rather than some weird low-calorie or low-carb bread. I can't have gluten anyway, and really don't want to eat the gluten free products....so lettuce is where it's at for me. :wink:

^^this! then you can use those calories for what goes on the "sandwich"
  • blazergrad
    blazergrad Posts: 603 Member
    We eat Food For Life's Ezekiel bread.... it may not quite be the lowest cal (80 calories/slice), but it's definitely at or near the top of the list in terms of healthiest. It's completely organic and made from sprouted whole grains. From their web site...

"We discovered when these six grains and legumes are sprouted and combined, an amazing thing happens. A complete protein is created that closely parallels the protein found in milk and eggs. In fact, the protein quality is so high, that it is 84.3% as efficient as the highest recognized source of protein, containing all 9 essential amino acids. There are 18 amino acids present in this unique bread - from all vegetable sources - naturally balanced in nature."
  • muffle1969
    muffle1969 Posts: 96 Member
    Someone else posted the Healthy Life bread, and I second that. When I can't find it, I use the Sara Lee 45 calorie.
  • pixish
    pixish Posts: 79 Member
    I eat the Abbotts Bakery breads - they're not low calorie, but one slice is very filling :) I like them because they use a lot of wholegrains as well, and lower GI :) (I usually get one of the grain variations)
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Nature's own whole wheat is what I use. 50 calories/slice
  • PomegranatePriestess
    PomegranatePriestess Posts: 2,455 Member
    Stop & Shop's store brand light Italian bread is 40 calories a slice, and their seedless light rye is 50 calories a slice. Pepperidge Farm has a light oatmeal bread that is 45 calories a slice.

I have also used "deli thins" for sandwiches; they are usually 100 calories per "bun."
  • Bambers14
    Bambers14 Posts: 15 Member
    We eat Food For Life's Ezekiel bread.... it may not quite be the lowest cal (80 calories/slice), but it's definitely at or near the top of the list in terms of healthiest. It's completely organic and made from sprouted whole grains. From their web site...

"We discovered when these six grains and legumes are sprouted and combined, an amazing thing happens. A complete protein is created that closely parallels the protein found in milk and eggs. In fact, the protein quality is so high, that it is 84.3% as efficient as the highest recognized source of protein, containing all 9 essential amino acids. There are 18 amino acids present in this unique bread - from all vegetable sources - naturally balanced in nature."

^THIS^ Plus their Cinnamon Raisin bread makes INCREDIBLE french toast for a treat day! Ezekiel bread may be still high calorie but unlike regular bread, it won't spike your insulin levels as fast. Plus, no chemicals :)
  • F0xt0ber
    F0xt0ber Posts: 3 Member
    Aldi - 100% Whole Wheat Skinny Bread 100 calories, and it can be used as a bun, because 1 serving is sliced,it tastes good toasted
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Back in my bread eating days I used joesph's flax seed and oat bran pita bread. It has 60 calories, 8g carbs, 4g fiber and 6g protein.
  • Britt59
    Britt59 Posts: 25
    I use Sara Lee 45 Calories Delightful Healthy- Grain..its an excellent source of fiber with 17 g's of whole grain per serving & only 2 g's sugar and 6 g's of protein &it taste good...The breads at the more up scale grocery stores are a little over prices such as Whole Foods ect,,ect,,
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member

:flowerforyou:
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    I use Sara Lee 45 Calories Delightful Healthy- Grain..its an excellent source of fiber with 17 g's of whole grain per serving & only 2 g's sugar and 6 g's of protein &it taste good...The breads at the more up scale grocery stores are a little over prices such as Whole Foods ect,,ect,,

This is usually my choice as well. I also like the Oroweat sandwhich thins.
  • holly1283
    holly1283 Posts: 741 Member
    I don't know if you consider this bread but Ijust started eating Arnold's pocket thins. they have different flovors and only 100 calories per pocket. I love them.