UK sayings vs USA sayings

Options

Replies

• LaLouve_RK
    LaLouve_RK Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Well I would be better in french Canadian sayings than in english... but you can bet that francos in France are pissing their pants with laughter when we do that lol
  • BigDaddyRonnie
    BigDaddyRonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    UK will always win the slang contest as the US is not that creative. We just say it.

Canada...well they will just look on and jump on the winner bandwagon. :laugh:
  • LaLouve_RK
    LaLouve_RK Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    UK will always win the slang contest as the US is not that creative. We just say it.

Canada...well they will just look on and jump on the winner bandwagon. :laugh:

Awww! You know we are more neutral that that!
  • FitnessCharl
    Options
    This will burn you guys, but in the UK we really can't tell the difference between an American and a Canadian accent....
  • Mimoki
    Mimoki Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    This will burn you guys, but in the UK we really can't tell the difference between an American and a Canadian accent....

I'm American and I can't either... There really isn't one. Its not like UK English, Irish English etc.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options

I'm American and I can't either... There really isn't one. Its not like UK English, Irish English etc.

There really isn't a difference except for the southerners, I find Canadians use UK words though, like saying chips instead of saying fries.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    One used in a movie

"hotter than Georgia asphalt"

That's really hot in case you are wondering. LOL!
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I really wish I had time to research the origins of some of these sayings.... Bizarre.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I once got into a flame war with a British kid whose heavy artillery insults were things like "Get stuffed" and "Pillock."

Coming from the land of the F-bomb that is the US, I was not intimidated. Plus, pillock, as I told him, sounds like a combo of a pillow and a hammock. Which I would buy ten of.
  • Strobins05
    Strobins05 Posts: 716
    Options
    "Get your head out of the Clouds" = Delusional

"Not pot to piss in or a window to throw it out"= Person who thinks they have it all and have NOTHING in others eyes

"I'm outtie 5000"= I'm leaving

She's a Dime= Hot chic!
    :flowerforyou:
  • Ilovevwgolf
    Ilovevwgolf Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Peckish = Hungry (Love that word!)

Sod Off! = Get Lost!

"Bugger this for a laugh"

"Sod this for a game of Soldiers"
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    There are several pubs in the US called the Elephant and Castle. I always laugh because I know the term refers to neither a castle nor an elephant...
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    "Taking the piss out of" someone means something entirely different in the states.

So does "fanny pack".
  • dlegros
    dlegros Posts: 162 Member
    Options

I find Canadian accents tend to pronounce words like "out" with a longer vowel sound, heading more towards oout.

It's a bit like Aussies/Kiwis - ask them to say "fish and chips" - if you "fush and chups" they're Kiwi! :wink:

As for sayings - Bollocks! is always a good one :smile:

As a kid, if I was running in and out of the house I'd get yelled out for being "In and out like a fart in a colander"

"About as much use as a chocolate teapot/fireguard"

"As popular as a solid fart in a jacuzzi" :sick:
  • FitnessCharl
    Options
    Ha "fanny pack" is called "bum bag" over here with a very good plummy accent!

Plus I am glad to hear the Americans dont take the piss out of the Canadians as the movies would have me believe....
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Ha "fanny pack" is called "bum bag" over here with a very good plummy accent!

Plus I am glad to hear the Americans dont take the piss out of the Canadians as the movies would have me believe....

"Taking the piss" has me confuzzled. What does that mean?

I've heard of "taking a piss" but that's usually a solitary activity.
  • alglenn2013
    alglenn2013 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    A couple of my faves

"Pissing in the wind"

"Colder than a witch's titty"
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    Newfisms:

•Long may your Jib draw - A good wish for the future.
    •You can't tell the mind of a squid - This refers to an unreliable person, a squid can move backwards or forward.
    •You are as deep as the grave - Your real feelings are not easily judged from your appearance.
    •The devil to pay and no pitch hot - Unprepared for emergency. To "pay a boat" meant to put hot pitch over a seam between the planks.
    •All mops and brooms - This refers to an untidy condition of the hair.
    •more lip than a coal bucket - Person with a big mouth.
    •You're on nish ice there b'y - meaning the ice is not strong, dangerous.
    •By',..she's got a face on 'er like a burnt-boiled-boot! - Ugly.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options

I guess it probably depends on where someone is from. There is variation of the accents within Canada and within the states that is much more noticeable than just Canada vs. U.S. Obviously people from the predominantly French speaking areas usually have a strong French accent because English is their second language. Some other parts of Canada have a stronger accent (that is even more noticeable than being from the U.K.). I live in Canada. And in the U.S. There are some areas that have strong accents: The South, Boston, New York, Minnesota are just some examples. I don't have a Boston accent anymore (that's where I grew up), but when I did everywhere I went people knew I was from Boston the moment I spoke. Boston also has some unusual words. For example we call a drinking fountain a Bubbler (although pronounce it Bubbla).
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    "Taking the piss" has me confuzzled. What does that mean?

I've heard of "taking a piss" but that's usually a solitary activity.

"Taking the piss" out of someone is teasing them.

Edit: But it can also mean to take advantage of someone/something.