UK sayings vs USA sayings

Options

Replies

• devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I live in North Carolina, but some of these are state-neutral.

You're so full of *kitten* your eyes should have been brown. (you're full of it...lol)
    You can't hit the broad side of a barn. (you're a terrible shot)
    You're blind as a bat (obviously...)
    I'm gonna tan your hide. (I'm gonna whoop your a**)

In Wisconsin, where I was raised... we have:
    Bubblers! (commonly known as a water fountain or drinking fountain in the rest of the free world.)
    Were you born in a barn? (if you leave a door open on a cold day)
    Where's the TYME machine? (ATM)
  • JGainingHealth
    JGainingHealth Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    We say "expecting" or "preggo" in the US for pregnancy... what's the norm in the UK?
  • FitnessCharl
    Options
    A couple of my faves

"Pissing in the wind"

"Colder than a witch's titty"

:laugh:

AMAZING
  • Mimoki
    Mimoki Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    This will burn you guys, but in the UK we really can't tell the difference between an American and a Canadian accent....

I guess it probably depends on where someone is from. There is variation of the accents within Canada and within the states that is much more noticeable than just Canada vs. U.S. Obviously people from the predominantly French speaking areas usually have a strong French accent because English is their second language. Some other parts of Canada have a stronger accent (that is even more noticeable than being from the U.K.). I live in Canada. And in the U.S. There are some areas that have strong accents: The South, Boston, New York, Minnesota are just some examples. I don't have a Boston accent anymore (that's where I grew up), but when I did everywhere I went people knew I was from Boston the moment I spoke. Boston also has some unusual words. For example we call a drinking fountain a Bubbler (although pronounce it Bubbla).

I am from Boston too! I don't have the accent though, never did.
  • devilwhiterose
    Options
    Kicked the bucket means...he died.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Ha "fanny pack" is called "bum bag" over here with a very good plummy accent!

Plus I am glad to hear the Americans dont take the piss out of the Canadians as the movies would have me believe....

"Taking the piss" has me confuzzled. What does that mean?

I've heard of "taking a piss" but that's usually a solitary activity.

Taking the piss means to make fun of.

Also: in the UK being pissed means being drunk; while in the US it means being mad.

I've been in the States so long, I often don't know if I'm talking English or American. Sometimes I'll say something that makes people look at me funny. Like I did tell my gf I was peckish the other day and she was all confused.
  • AdoraK
    AdoraK Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    US
    A dime a dozen - easy to find
    All-Ears - listening to you
    Bent out of shape - upset/angry
    Quick on the uptake - Meaning the opposite/slow to understand
    No-Brainer - easy to understand
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Also: in the UK being pissed means being drunk; while in the US it means being mad.

I've been in the States so long, I often don't know if I'm talking English or American. Sometimes I'll say something that makes people look at me funny. Like I did tell my gf I was peckish the other day and she was all confused.

I just assume 'pissed' means drunk any time it is accompanied with a UK accent. Along with other words. 'Peckish' isn't really slang. It's just not common in American vernacular.
  • Shauncho49
    Shauncho49 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    US: "it's hotter than two rats ****ing in a wool sock"
  • devilwhiterose
    Options
    My favorite "over the pond" word is CHEEKY.

My son used to attend daycare with a child who was from Great Britain. The child's mom was so awesome, but she always said cheeky when the kids were being silly.

I have now added that to my daily vocabulary.
  • Phat_Bottom_Girl
    Options
    Uk : some people couldnt organise a piss up in a brewery lol eg totally stupid person couldnt get drunk in a pub
  • JGainingHealth
    JGainingHealth Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    US:

"Sweating balls", as in, "I'm sweating balls". Meaning, I'm extremely hot and excessively perspiring.
  • devilwhiterose
    Options
    I love this thread. I have this desire to go to the UK now and see what kind of shenanigans I can get into.
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    He/she was more nervous than a cat in a dog pound!
  • Rocking_Robin
    Rocking_Robin Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    "Taking the piss"..... Being made fun of.
  • RoseAmongThorns91
    RoseAmongThorns91 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Heard this on an episode of Supernatural

"About as useless as boobs on a man" - kinda explanatory
    "Wait a cotton-picking minute" - kinda explanatory
    "I'm gonna slap ya into the second Tuesday of next week" - my dad's favorite phrase when it came to *kitten* whuppin's

Loving this thread!
  • LaLouve_RK
    LaLouve_RK Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    So educational! :laugh:
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    The one that bothers me is when people from the UK refer to anyone who looks attractive--regardless of their actual fitness level, as "fit." I understand now that "fit" is just a slang term for attractive there, but it just seems weird to me to use it to describe anyone who isn't actually fit--from an athletic/fitness point of view.

EDIT: I have a friend from the UK who spent 6 years of his life living in Dallas, TX during his twenties before moving back to the UK in his 30s. Now he interchangeably uses "chips" and "fries" and he always has to specify to both UK and US people which one he means.
  • Disneynut
    Disneynut Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    As much use as a chocolate teapot - not very good