When someone compliments you, do you believe them?

Options

Replies

• acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    Of course! Why wouldn't I? Essentially you have to make a choice, either you are ugly and they are liars or you are what they say and they are sharing their honest opinion. I prefer to live my life in the latter.
  • elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    Frankly, I just can't believe it if people don't compliment me...:wink:

Sweetheart, it's impossible NOT to compliment you. I mean yum.

Ooooooh...*snuggle-snuggle*...welcome to the lovefest, cutie:)
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    totally depends on who it is, the circumstances, and the history.

you tell me how good i look every time you see me? and you're a guy who wants to get with me? well maybe my hair DOES look nice today, but that's not why you're saying it.

you tell me how good you look and you're my mom or another relation? then you mean it and you're pleased to see me looking well.

you're some random stranger (guys at bars do not count) who has just complimented my glasses and didn't then go on fishing for convo? you mean it. you just felt like being nice.

not hard to suss out the motivation. just takes some context.

i have had difficulty accepting compliments in the past. these days i try to pay back in kind. if i can't think of anything complimentary to say (e.g. like a to a total stranger) then i'll just give thanks for the kindess.
  • FireEngineRedHead
    FireEngineRedHead Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    you guys get compliments? FML

^then again, this is very accurate
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    For the most part, yes.
  • parys1
    parys1 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    Frankly, I just can't believe it if people don't compliment me...:wink:

Sweetheart, it's impossible NOT to compliment you. I mean yum.

Ooooooh...*snuggle-snuggle*...welcome to the lovefest, cutie:)

*happy sigh* :smooched:
  • sheldonsteyn
    sheldonsteyn Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Generally I will only believe a compliment if i get the same thing from several people over n over. Would be nice if we could believe all compliments tho haha
  • mrodriguez81
    mrodriguez81 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    If hubby says it, I don't believe him because he doesn't say it often and it's usually becuase he wants something. But if someone else says it, yes I do believe it.
  • Cre8veLifeR
    Cre8veLifeR Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    I believe it when my hubby says I'm the most beautiful woman in the world, because to him, I AM. Just like I definitely don't see anyone as being more attractive than he, to me. Physical appearance only, there are TONS of attractive people out there, but real attraction and beauty come from within.

When other people compliment me it depends on the compliment. But pretty much, ya. Why not?
  • honey_bee_keysha
    honey_bee_keysha Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    No.
  • LaSutopia
    LaSutopia Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Generally I will only believe a compliment if i get the same thing from several people over n over. Would be nice if we could believe all compliments tho haha

well then tell me what good things others have told you cause I want you to believe how good I think that pictures looks! LOL
  • endoftheside
    endoftheside Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Unless the person has proven himself/herself untrustworthy, I will accept the compliment as genuine in intention. On an objective basis, they might be way off, but if they want to be nice, I can accept that even if what they are saying is BS.
  • taliasometimes
    taliasometimes Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    hahah no. but its sweet
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    When someone compliments you, do you believe them?

Yes, because I am awesome.

And I would never lie to myself.
  • camrunner
    camrunner Posts: 363
    Options
    At first, I knew they were all kind of subjective. "You look great!" = "You look better than you used to..."

Now, since I've been not-fat for 8-9 years, it's easier to believe that they're genuine. I think I look great (usually) so when someone says that, I'm like "well yeah, of course I do." :P
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    no™
    :angry:
  • _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options
    Yes. When my boyfriend compliments me and I'm feeling ugly and bumish I just look at him like "really?"..but I believe him. The fact that he will tell me when I look stupid makes me believe his compliments even more.
  • BigDaddyRonnie
    BigDaddyRonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Nope. I don't like be patronized.

Mainly because my self-confidence is way high. Its a personal issue...I know it.
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    Depends on what the compliment is and who is doing the complimenting...
  • kluedesigns
    kluedesigns Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    yes, unless that person is trying to sell me something.