When someone compliments you, do you believe them?

Options

Replies

• TheStephil
    TheStephil Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Depends on the situation and who it's from. From my boyfriend/family/close friends, yes. They are all honest and don't bother complimenting unless there is something to compliment.

If its anyone else and the compliment is followed by a request or favor. No. If we are talking about losing weight / fitness, no because i figure they are trying to be nice. If it comes out of the blue (like a friend i hadn't seen in awhile asked me if I'm working out because I looked really good) then i usually do.
  • Brianna72994
    Options
    If it's a man, I usually take it lightly. Half the time, (ok, 99% of the time) they just want to get in your pants.

If its a kid, however, I know it's genuine. When my brother was 3 and I was getting ready for prom, he told me I looked beautiful. That meant alot. Not only is he autistic, but he doesn't speak very well and he NEVER compliments people. So it was amazing to hear him say that.

He also wanted to be my prom date. So precious.
  • MNA76
    MNA76 Posts: 1,541
    Options
    Yes. Especially when it's a backhanded compliment.
  • My0WNinspiration
    My0WNinspiration Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Nope
  • CharliesInCharge
    CharliesInCharge Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I scream "BURDEN OF PROOF" and run away.

LMAO!
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    No. Sometimes it makes me feel worse, like I get even more self conscious. But sometimes I fish for compliments, which in that case, I like when I get them. I think I just have to have compliments on my own terms.

The human mind is a strange, strange thing.
  • Nutella91
    Nutella91 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    no. yes. it depends...
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Um, yes.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    On appearance yes, I don't really hang around fake grovelling *kitten* so I have no reason not to.

On my work? No :(
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I take them at face value if the person looks genuine. Why not? They might be true, there is no way of knowing if they aren't, and I'd feel better if they were. Why would I question and feel weird or down when I could feel good?
  • AuddAlise
    AuddAlise Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I don't believe anyone when they compliment me....I own a mirror!
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Yes. People can compliment you, degrade you, or say nothing. If I don't have something nice to say, I say nothing...and I like to think others do the same.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    I know my husband is bias lol i am not good at taking compliments. Only one i ever believed was actually an insult lol a customer once annoyed at finding no clothes that fit her right got mad at me and called me a skinny ***** when i tried to concoul her
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I know, that in my life there have been women who thought I was dog ugly and women that went way out of their way to get naked with me.
    Tastes vary. Why not believe someone when they tell me something nice?
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    of course, only the best comes my way.
  • madelonism
    madelonism Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I hate when women wont take a compliment. HATE IT.

just say thank you, they were trying to point out something nice, DONT RUIN IT. lol
  • aaronlawrenc
    aaronlawrenc Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    i cant believe when people dont compliment me...sometimes i just follow them around until they do...then, yes, i believe them.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    If they are genuine I believe them, especially if they are honest with me in other ways at other times. I believe that they are genuine about what they complimented in me, that does not mean that I always feel the same way about myself that they do, but sometimes hearing it does help me put things into perspective. As for my husband, I do believe him about his level of attraction to me, I know that he is extremely attracted to me and particularly loves my body type and my face. But, of course I would not expect all other men to feel the same way that he does. My husband claims that anyone that saw me naked would have to agree that I am very attractive. I believe that he believes that, I don't agree that it would be true in reality.
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Yes. I know I'm awesome, and I have enough faith in humanity to believe that most others will realize it too.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, I find that most men (NOT ALL SO DON"T SHOOT ME) are hardwired to say what you want to hear. So when a man compliments me, I have to ask myself a few questions:

Does he want something from me?
    Did he do something wrong?

Really? You ask yourself that?

I think that's sad, that everytime any man opens his mouth to say something nice the first thing going through another persons mind is "what do they want and/or what have they done"

it's like a man can't win....EVER.

:huh:

My Husband uses a different tone of voice when he's handing out compliments because he wants something.

So I don't have to do any guessing. :laugh:

I