When someone compliments you, do you believe them?

Options

Replies

• JessieJanie
    JessieJanie Posts: 428
    Options
    If it's in regards to my intelligence, work ethic, or children then yes I do. Otherwise no, although thankfully I don't have to deal with it too much.
  • fayeonherway
    Options
    Yes.
  • LongMom
    LongMom Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I try not to overcomplicate/overthink things :) If someone compliments me I say Thank You and take it! It just feels too darn good not to :)
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Yes... and I'm confused on why someone wouldn't believe a compliment.

Well, unless someone is staggering drunk and trying to get close to my nether naughties...
  • DoneBroughtSexyBack
    Options
    I have a hard time taking compliments... I always try and take them and accept them and tell myself that it was genuine... but the fat kid inside me tells me they are just being nice... But I think that over the past few months I have gotten to a better point of agreeing with them...
  • _Witsy_
    _Witsy_ Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    For the most part..yes, of course.

Why would someone bother going out of their way to say something nice without being prompted?
  • flyingwrite
    flyingwrite Posts: 264
    Options
    For the job I do, or how hard I work?...yes

For how I look? No...not really.

This, exactly. If someone compliments my brain, sure, I believe that. Or my eyes. But outside of that, nope. Don't believe a word of it. Wish I did. Wish I was at the point where I could. But I'm just not there yet.
  • nicola1141
    nicola1141 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    My husband? Not really, just because I know he is trying to boost my confidence or be nice (which he is). If anyone else does, then yeah, I'll believe them. They have no vested interest in making me feel better about myself, my husband does.
  • aszwarc
    aszwarc Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I only believe the "I like your..." type compliments, and only in regards to things like haircolor, clothes and shoes. The most common thing I hear from people is "I like your haircolor" because I have purple hair.

But I absolutely don't believe any other compliments. ESPECIALLY when they're about physical appearance. Or from my husband because he compliments me only when I'm having a bad day.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    Yup. I'm awesome. It shows. I can't hide it, no matter how hard I try.

In all seriousness though, yes, I do believe them, whether they're from my husband, or from a total stranger. I just wish more people would believe me when I hand out a compliment, because I sure as hell don't hand them out freely.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Yup. I'm awesome. It shows. I can't hide it, no matter how hard I try.

^^^ This.....totally this.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    My husband? Not really, just because I know he is trying to boost my confidence or be nice (which he is). If anyone else does, then yeah, I'll believe them. They have no vested interest in making me feel better about myself, my husband does.

this seems backwards.

"you know that person who loves me so much that he has decided he wants to spend the rest of his life with me because he says he finds me beautiful inside and out, i just don't believe that guy."

?
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, I find that most men (NOT ALL SO DON"T SHOOT ME) are hardwired to say what you want to hear. So when a man compliments me, I have to ask myself a few questions:

Does he want something from me?
    Did he do something wrong?

Really? You ask yourself that?

I think that's sad, that everytime any man opens his mouth to say something nice the first thing going through another persons mind is "what do they want and/or what have they done"

it's like a man can't win....EVER.

:huh:
  • CharliesInCharge
    CharliesInCharge Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    in the past mostly used to come from family etc.. and i didnt believe them.. believed their intent to be loving and supportive. but if you have low self esteem you can always find a way to turn a compliment around to a bad way

oh you look good today.. (oh that means ive looked like crap for the last 3-4 days/weeks/years etc)

outside of family never used to get many

getting a few random compliments from acquintances recently who have noticed a change, but some that i thought would didnt and it bummed me a bit

you have to remember a couple of things.. you are changing your outside and thats great and will make you healthlier and live longer and able to enjoy more etc... but even with the outer change many of us still carry our ugly duckling vision of ourselves long after weve changed the outer shell. Past words that hurt or lack of supportive words from those close to us can linger and fester for years and effect our image of ourselves

Second.. you are doing this 95% for you, not for your spouse , friends, etc.. you make yourself a better you .. inside and out and your life and relationships will most often follow suit and those that dont, dont deserve the new you

if i could only listen and take in to my inner recesses, 1/10 of what i just typed
  • CharliesInCharge
    CharliesInCharge Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, I find that most men (NOT ALL SO DON"T SHOOT ME) are hardwired to say what you want to hear. So when a man compliments me, I have to ask myself a few questions:

Does he want something from me?
    Did he do something wrong?

Really? You ask yourself that?

I think that's sad, that everytime any man opens his mouth to say something nice the first thing going through another persons mind is "what do they want and/or what have they done"

it's like a man can't win....EVER.

:huh:

men cant win ever..
  • Venomous_Duck
    Options
    I was complimented once, it was horrible.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I believe it, and sometimes I don't, but I always say "thank you" just the same.
  • tanashai
    tanashai Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I'm really weird-I have good self confidence, UNTIL someone compliments me! lol! I was bullied in high school (all back biting), so it made me really suspicious of people complimenting me or whistling at me or anything else like that ha ha. Don't compliment my looks and I'm fine-I think I'm da BOSS! As soon as anyone says I look great, I immediately get embarrassed and nit-pick, ah ha! My roommate and my husband both have had to tell me multiple times to just take the damn compliment, lol.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I scream "BURDEN OF PROOF" and run away.
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,638 Member
    Options
    No. Sometimes it makes me feel worse, like I get even more self conscious. But sometimes I fish for compliments, which in that case, I like when I get them. I think I just have to have compliments on my own terms.