Is breakfast absolutely necessary?

Options

Replies

• Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Yes, you need to eat breakfast daily. If you skip out on breakfast it will slow your metabolism

DOGSLAP_zpsdc89e490.gif
  • Saucy_lil_Minx
    Saucy_lil_Minx Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    I would also say the there is good studies for both point of views. I think more than revving up your metabolism in the morning breakfast is key to maintain healthy blood sugar levels so you do not overeat a later meals in the day. For a lot of people that drop in blood sugar triggers us to eat until we are uncomfortably full! (Over indulging, it is what we're good at! It takes our brain about 20 minutes after eating to get the signal that we have had enough. I f you are not one of these people (like me) who has an issue with your blood sugar, and you do not like breakfast (my husband is this way) then do not eat it :smile:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    Options
    Yes, you need to eat breakfast daily. If you skip out on breakfast it will slow your metabolism
    Lol, dieting slows your metabolism. Truth.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • _Witsy_
    _Witsy_ Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    No. Not necessary.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eat a giant breakfast, but try to get your metabolism working. Give yourself at least 100 calories to work with. Perhaps a couple of pieces of fruit or some yogurt.

Your metabolism is already working in the morning... eating doesn't jump start it.

I would have to disagree with you whole heartily! You do understand that our bodies go into a starvation mode if we do not eat often and regularly. Your body will hold on to fat stores. I would cycle my diet though. Do not be afraid to go over your daily calorie intake occasionally. I keeps your metabolism guessing. Think about it if we had to still forage for food, so days are more productive in food gathering than others :flowerforyou:

You have to be getting around 500 calories per day or less for a prolonged period of time before you go into starvation mode.
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    I usually skip breakfast and eat most of my calories in the evening. Anyone saying this is wrong or bad is promoting mythology.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    I usually skip breakfast and eat most of my calories in the evening. Anyone saying this is wrong or bad is promoting mythology.

Greek or Roman?
  • Insanity2bSane
    Insanity2bSane Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I don't think that it's absolutely necessary but for me it's important because it keeps me from making poor food choices later in the day cause I'm starving. Also a good healthy breakfast gives me more energy.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    I love breakfast....for dinner.

Meal timing does not matter beyond personal preference and how it effects your eating and sleeping. If you find you eat more when you do or do not eat breakfast then adjust your meals accordingly.
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options

Greek or Roman?

MFP mythology. Its rampant around here.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Strictly comes down to personal preference and what works best for you and your particular plans..... Best of Luck....
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

DOGSLAP_zpsdc89e490.gif
    This gif could be useful in so many threads for so many posters.

Your metabolism works 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. If it isn't working it means you're dead, in which case you have more to worry about than whether you should eat breakfast or not. Your body isn't a car battery, a motorcycle or an engine - you don't "jump start" it, "kick start" it, or "rev it up". There's nothing wrong with eating breakfast, but there's nothing wrong with not eating breakfast either. Neither is going to have an effect upon your weight loss. Due to personal preference, however, it may have an effect upon your hunger levels or workout performance. If you like to eat breakfast and it works for you, do it; if you don't, then don't do it and don't worry that it's somehow adversely affecting your metabolism or weight loss efforts.

Many people here on MFP would be well-served by taking a basic nutrition class and/or doing some actual research rather than just mindlessly spouting fictional, disproven diet myths as if they were irrefutable fact. The quote attributed to Abraham Lincoln comes to mind: "It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt".
  • GettinIT6
    GettinIT6 Posts: 44
    Options
    YESSSSS
  • gauchogirl
    gauchogirl Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Not in my opinion, no. I don't "break my fast" until about 2:00 pm everyday. Sometimes 1, sometimes 3 or 4, depending on when I feel real, genuine hunger that doesn't go away. I eat in a roughly 5-6 hour window, usually ending about 7 or 8 PM.

DO what works for you and don't worry about any preconceived "rules." Your body will tell you what works for you.

ETA: This is coming from a life-long YOU MUST EAT BREAKFAST person. Until I realized that was totally not true. I do great without it, I did NOT do great with it -- but kept eating it, because "i was supposed to" for 40 years!
  • bsuew
    bsuew Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on the person. But, for me YES!!! If I don't eat breakfast I find myself being hungry all day and making bad choices. I start out with a high protein breakfast I'm good.
  • Saucy_lil_Minx
    Saucy_lil_Minx Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options

False.

I don't know why people still believe this myth... it has been pushed for far too long.

After reading several post of yours, I have to wonder where you get your info from? you seem to have a commit on a lot, and no explanation to back it up. Of course when I was 26 I thought I knew it all too!
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    no. eat when your hungry. very simple.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options

DOGSLAP_zpsdc89e490.gif
    This gif could be useful in so many threads for so many posters.

Your metabolism works 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. If it isn't working it means you're dead, in which case you have more to worry about than whether you should eat breakfast or not. Your body isn't a car battery, a motorcycle or an engine - you don't "jump start" it, "kick start" it, or "rev it up". There's nothing wrong with eating breakfast, but there's nothing wrong with not eating breakfast either. Neither is going to have an effect upon your weight loss. Due to personal preference, however, it may have an effect upon your hunger levels or workout performance. If you like to eat breakfast and it works for you, do it; if you don't, then don't do it and don't worry that it's somehow adversely affecting your metabolism or weight loss efforts.

Many people here on MFP would be well-served by taking a basic nutrition class and/or doing some actual research rather than just mindlessly spouting fictional, disproven diet myths as if they were irrefutable fact. The quote attributed to Abraham Lincoln comes to mind: "It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt".

THIS!!!!! ^^^^^^^^ very well said....:drinker:
  • neeko_3
    neeko_3 Posts: 68
    Options
    I always eat breakfast. Always the same stuff. Rolled Oats w/ whey protein. 2 eggs w/ 1/4 cup egg whites and coffee!
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eat a giant breakfast, but try to get your metabolism working. Give yourself at least 100 calories to work with. Perhaps a couple of pieces of fruit or some yogurt.

Your metabolism is already working in the morning... eating doesn't jump start it.

I would have to disagree with you whole heartily! You do understand that our bodies go into a starvation mode if we do not eat often and regularly. Your body will hold on to fat stores. I would cycle my diet though. Do not be afraid to go over your daily calorie intake occasionally. I keeps your metabolism guessing. Think about it if we had to still forage for food, so days are more productive in food gathering than others :flowerforyou:

It takes 3-4 days to go to starvation mode. You do not wake up in starvation mode. And until that 3-4 days hits - your metabolism runs faster when you don't eat.