Ok runners - do you do it alone, or with a group

Options
1235»

Replies

• CrisAlex
    CrisAlex Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I run alone. I like the choice of deciding on my speed and route. Plus it is my time away from everything, and I fit it in according to my crazy schedule. Sometimes I run as early as 5:30 a.m. and as late as 9 p.m.
  • czmmom
    czmmom Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I run alone. I need the me time. I also don't want to have to worry about keeping up with another person's pace. I wave and say hi to many of my neighbors as we run around the neighborhood.
  • lheyens
    lheyens Posts: 62
    Options
    I run alone, well kinda I guess.. through the winter I run at the gym. but summer time I like to run just me and the pavement, Its my me time. THats how my gym time is, my me time, my sanctuary, that one place/thing where all seems alright no one else matters. My worries are sweated out.
  • MsRonelle
    Options
    :smile: I have came to realize that I will run longer if i am running with someone or with a group. When I am running on my own I wont try to be number one, I will also stop often. For example today at Team Pump (workout) we did a lot of running I did not stop because i didnt want to let the others down and I wanted to show them that I could do it.
  • marikevr
    marikevr Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I mix it up. If I want a 15 mile run to feel like a 15 mile run, I run alone. If I want a 15 mile run to feel like an 8, I run with a friend. A running partner makes the miles go by faster on a long run.
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    one man lone wolf pack here.
  • moochachip
    moochachip Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I mix it up. Two days I run with a group of people, but we also usually don't run at the same speed. For my long run day, I go it alone. My group days push me to go faster, but my longer run days is just me, my thoughts, and music.
  • blackcloud13
    blackcloud13 Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I always run alone. I can't imagine I'd be able to talk much, as I run out of breath after about 14 yards!
    Also, I like to vary my pace randomly, and I like the time to let my mind wander; works really well.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I like "doing it" in a group, but my wife really isn't down.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    I generally run alone. Unless you count my dog as a running partner! :laugh: But she doesn't want to strike up conversation, and always runs at my pace (well, almost always) so she's the ideal running partner.

I push harder and get a better workout when I'm not chatting with someone. Really, if you can carry on a full conversation, you're not working hard enough to call it cardio, IMO. (A quick sentence here and there, ok, but not a full conversation). I also prefer to load my ipod with music that will keep me going, which would isolate me from a group anyway.

On the other hand, I'm competitive, too. It might push me to do just a little better to not look bad. Maybe even to overdo it :ohwell: