Would you feel bad for this boy?

Options

Replies

• fayeonherway
    Options
    It's not your job to be policing other people and telling them they're doing it wrong. It's freedom of choice. Looking down on others because of the decisions they've made isn't virtuous at all.

QFT!!!
  • samanthajade124
    samanthajade124 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Why would I feel bad? Not everyone wants to be healthy and if they ever decide that they want to they can do that too.

A little boy can't make his own decisions. Ultimately, that falls back on the parents.
  • fayeonherway
    Options
    you don't know anything about these people.

maybe the family is overweight but it could also be that they are half way thru their weight loss journey and today was a cheat day for them.

i see tons of posts from people and their "cheat days"

don't judge people until you've taken the time to learn their back story.

So much truth...
  • CollegiateGrief
    CollegiateGrief Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Why would I feel bad? Not everyone wants to be healthy and if they ever decide that they want to they can do that too.

Yeah, that is fine for adults, but they are setting their own child up with bad health habits. I'm gonna hope you just missed the point, and don't think it's fine for parents to do that.

But if they've grown up with the same bad health habits, they will pass them along because it's the norm to them

That's my point..... the kid is doomed.

Unless the kid grows up and learns a better way. I grew up with bad eating habits, and I was always a heavy kid/teen/adult. I'm changing my life and I'm teaching my kids for the better.
    So, doomed for now, yes. Not completely doomed for the future.

Exactly. I think you all are underestimating the number of people on this site who grew up exactly like that. It sucks, but when fat kids grow up, we have to take control to undo the damage our parents raised us with. So they're setting him up for failure, but that doesn't mean he won't eventually overcome.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    So sad. A few weeks ago I stopped for a drink at a near by gas station. I noticed a young girl probably my sons age - 4. Her mother gave her a fountain pop. She's 4 years old!! Does this bother anyone else?

Yes.

It clearly should've contained vodka.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    you don't know anything about these people.

maybe the family is overweight but it could also be that they are half way thru their weight loss journey and today was a cheat day for them.

i see tons of posts from people and their "cheat days"

don't judge people until you've taken the time to learn their back story.

yeah, that's it....

This...I can look at someone's profile picture and judge them for how they look - I can sit in a restaurant and judge people for what they eat...No wait, I can't!! Unless I am perfect of course......
  • 2FatToRun
    2FatToRun Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    So sad. A few weeks ago I stopped for a drink at a near by gas station. I noticed a young girl probably my sons age - 4. Her mother gave her a fountain pop. She's 4 years old!! Does this bother anyone else?

Yes.

AHAHAHAH :drinker:
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options

Yes.

Total WIN! haha

WOW - no joke and I'll admit it but I judge the **** out of those people sorry...and I bet soooo many others on here do too!
    I got honesty going for me I guess.
  • fayeonherway
    Options
    Based on some of these posters, I think I should stay out of the public realm until I reach my goal weight. Because I'm still gonna be a fatty until I reach a certain point and god forbid I have a slurpee along the way.
  • RyanneRose
    RyanneRose Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I the grocery store a few weeks ago there was a little boy with his mom...neither was overweight. I was buying apples, and they were walking by. This is what I heard...
    Boy: Mamma, what's that?
    Woman: Apples. Come on, lets find your cookies.
    Boy: Can I have a apple?
    Woman: No, those are yucky.
    Boy: Why?
    Woman: They're yucky. Come on, let's go.

It made me sad.
  • Stinkerbelle84
    Options
    YES!!! For being judge by someone based on his appearance. Don't judge a book by the cover.

I have learned not to judge others. I certainly don't want anyone judging me. My kid is 12, and he is definitely overweight. He is also active and eats a normal diet. And when I say normal, I mean he does indulge in pizza, hot dogs, slurpees, and what not. He also eats broccoli, asparagus, and all of his other veggies. He orders water 99% of the time. If he asked for a slurpee I would tell him yes. I would also probably explain that it has a lot of sugar in it, so he should stay away from other foods that have a high sugar content for the rest of the day. Such as fruit. We don't know that this kid has a slurpee a day, or of if that was his first in six months. You can't judge just because of the weight.

When my child is in between growth spurts, he is heavier because the weight that he put on has not distributed. He is of a solid build, as is his dad. He goes thru cycles where he puts on 20 pounds, and then grows six inches.

Either way, you can't assume that he will be doomed from the start. These parents are telling their child that he is limited to a medium. MODERATION. While it is more than a small or none at all, it is smaller than a large and a giant cup. I could make the same argument against parents who refuse to allow their child to have the drink. That child will have the potential to be doomed once he is old enough to make his own choices.

If you saw me at the grocery store, you would have seen a woman whose cart was loaded down with fresh fruits, fresh veggies, lean meats, water, and no junk food. If you see my on a cheat day or an outing to a restaurant, you would probably see me ordering an unhealthy meal (and enjoying every bite). I worked hard and I will enjoy it.
  • Stinkerbelle84
    Options
    Based on some of these posters, I think I should stay out of the public realm until I reach my goal weight. Because I'm still gonna be a fatty until I reach a certain point and god forbid I have a slurpee along the way.

Agreed! But, if you do happen to fall for that slurpee....I will probably be there too!
  • gc_tweety
    gc_tweety Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Let's be honest, it was probably a fruit cup filled with sugar...:noway:
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the future generations of America...

I'm already taking care of his parents in the nursing home.
    He's next.
    Yeah, that's sad...
  • Ashshell
    Ashshell Posts: 185
    Options
    I think people should avoid judging others when they don't know the entire situation.
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    I feel bad for all of them. Perhaps they are trying the best way they know how. There should be help available for all.
  • fayeonherway
    Options

Agreed! But, if you do happen to fall for that slurpee....I will probably be there too!

:drinker: To the slurpee!
  • whiteoutpen
    whiteoutpen Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I personally hate when you see kids under the age of 10, and they're already obese. The parents are the same way. I feel like they should be setting a better example for their children, and teaching them how to eat right. Parents often just don't say no to their kids, and don't have to time to cook at home so they just buy frozen food and eat out. I think that's a terrible example to set for your children.

If my parents had taught me how to eat right, I'm sure I wouldn't be like this now. However, when you're home alone from 13 on and have to cook for yourself, then your dad takes you out to get fast food for dinner everyday, you pick up some bad habits. But I'm determined to get healthier and when I have kids, I'll teach them to eat right.
  • abcdmomof2
    abcdmomof2 Posts: 19 Member
    Options

yes not everyone wants to be healthy, but this poor child isn't being given the choice, his parents are making the choice for him! To even give him the choice between fruit or pepperoni, one or the other?? Seriously? Where is the sense in this?
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    were these the people you saw??

0228-sugar-bear-honey-boo-boo-mama-june-tlc-2.jpg

A friend of mine went to high school with Honey Boo Boo's mom. He showed me a recent picture of HBB. She's even fatter now. It's sad.