Would you feel bad for this boy?

Options
1235»

Replies

• fayeonherway
    Options
    Why would I feel bad? Not everyone wants to be healthy and if they ever decide that they want to they can do that too.

yes not everyone wants to be healthy, but this poor child isn't being given the choice, his parents are making the choice for him! To even give him the choice between fruit or pepperoni, one or the other?? Seriously? Where is the sense in this?

But how does judging him and his parents change this? While it may make no sense to you and I...what do we gain from the OP? What does his family gain from the OP?
  • medeamama
    medeamama Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    While I have my own opinions on what went down in that interaction, I try very hard not to judge parents or parenting actions.

As a mom I know it's hard to make good decisions all the time, and heaven knows, I've made some bad ones. But what drives me nuts more than anything else is people judging me on those decisions, especially if those making the judgement don't have kids themselves.

That said, fruit should never be limited for anyone unless it's covered in sugar. :)
  • whiteoutpen
    whiteoutpen Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Why would I feel bad? Not everyone wants to be healthy and if they ever decide that they want to they can do that too.

yes not everyone wants to be healthy, but this poor child isn't being given the choice, his parents are making the choice for him! To even give him the choice between fruit or pepperoni, one or the other?? Seriously? Where is the sense in this?

But how does judging him and his parents change this? While it may make no sense to you and I...what do we gain from the OP? What does his family gain from the OP?

I don't think we were meant to gain anything from the OP. I think he/she was just making an observation, and wanted to know if we shared an opinion with them. It's also a topic that often sparks a lot of debate, obese children. I think the point of this topic is to be able to discuss this with others, and hopefully teach others about the effects they could have on their children. I don't think it was meant to be overly judgemental.
  • abcdmomof2
    abcdmomof2 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    when you're home alone from 13 on and have to cook for yourself, then your dad takes you out to get fast food for dinner everyday, you pick up some bad habits.

I was lucky, my mom was a single mother and worked nights, but taught me how to cook. I raised my little brother from the time I was old enough to stay home alone and use a stove. Yes, frozen foods are there for convenience purposes, but here, the markets aren't expensive for fresh fruits and veggies. My daughter, age 4, will go into the fridge herself and grab fresh mushrooms or carrots (already peeled and cut by me) to eat as a snack. Today, for lunch, she asked for cucumber, mushrooms, red pepper and cheese. This is her favourite things to eat :) I am truly blessed
  • 2FatToRun
    2FatToRun Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I think people should avoid judging others when they don't know the entire situation.

I am fat as ever and my 2 kids are skinny as rails. I was skinny all my life as well but muscular because I was very athletic. I wonder how many times in the past yr PPL have looked at me and judged me for eating all the food and starving my kids HA! And yes we could have very well been at the icee machine I love those effers! So do my kids but they get them maybe once a month.
  • whiteoutpen
    Options
    While I have my own opinions on what went down in that interaction, I try very hard not to judge parents or parenting actions.

As a mom I know it's hard to make good decisions all the time, and heaven knows, I've made some bad ones. But what drives me nuts more than anything else is people judging me on those decisions, especially if those making the judgement don't have kids themselves.

That said, fruit should never be limited for anyone unless it's covered in sugar. :)

I totally agree that they're your kids, and therefore it's your choice to parent however you please (aside from abuse and such). And I think everyone knows that nobody can be perfect, and there'll be those fast food days, but I think OP was more talking about the people who go out every single night, who only give their children fruit from a syrup-filled can. The people who are at the far end of the unhealthy spectrum, you know? I'll definitely admit to shaking my head when I'm in a store and I see morbidly obese kids.

My boyfriend's nephew is 6 years old, and over 100 pounds. His parents, grandparents, and anyone else who feeds him enevr says no. He gets fed bags of doritos, pizza, and drinks soda constantly. He sits inside and plays video games and watches TV. I think that's sad, when a 6 year old weighs that much.
  • whiteoutpen
    Options
    when you're home alone from 13 on and have to cook for yourself, then your dad takes you out to get fast food for dinner everyday, you pick up some bad habits.

I was lucky, my mom was a single mother and worked nights, but taught me how to cook. I raised my little brother from the time I was old enough to stay home alone and use a stove. Yes, frozen foods are there for convenience purposes, but here, the markets aren't expensive for fresh fruits and veggies. My daughter, age 4, will go into the fridge herself and grab fresh mushrooms or carrots (already peeled and cut by me) to eat as a snack. Today, for lunch, she asked for cucumber, mushrooms, red pepper and cheese. This is her favourite things to eat :) I am truly blessed

I don't blame my dad, he just suddenly became a single parent who left the house for work before 5am, and came home around 6pm. Nobody could blame him for not wanting to cook. I just wish he had taught me how to make healthy habits. I was fed relatively alright when I was younger. I would just eat whatever was put in front of me, then go back outside and play or whatever. But then I moved in with my dad, and he couldn't really cook or anything, and I didn't know how. So I ate unhealthy all the time. But now I know better, and I'm determined to be more healthy! I think it just shows how you're teaching your child bad habits. You need to teach them how to be healthy, or they'll wind up obese.
  • whiteoutpen
    Options
    I think people should avoid judging others when they don't know the entire situation.

I am fat as ever and my 2 kids are skinny as rails. I was skinny all my life as well but muscular because I was very athletic. I wonder how many times in the past yr PPL have looked at me and judged me for eating all the food and starving my kids HA! And yes we could have very well been at the icee machine I love those effers! So do my kids but they get them maybe once a month.

Damn, now I seriously want a slurpee..