Eat more calories and lose weight- What is really happening

Options
124»

Replies

• mamosh81
    mamosh81 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Hey, y'all. I just wanted to make this post to shed some light from my experience as a private practice RD specializing in weight loss on a concept I see posted so often in these forums:

"Starvation Mode"

How is it that people who can't lose weight on say... 1500 calories, drop to 1200 calories and still don't lose weight? Or even yet, someone who is eating 1000 calories increases their intake up to 1400 and they start losing weight. How does this happen?

First, let's talk about some inconsistencies in the whole calorie counting process:
    1. Values for foods in MFP- caloric variance in foods with the same name
    2. Portion size estimations from user of MFP- there can even be variance when using measuring cups. Food scales are the most accurate.
    3. Variance in reported caloric value from restaurants
    4. Variance in the BMR TDEE and calories burned from exercise- these are all equations and estimations anyways

So right there, you have a lot of variance. We can safely assume that foods entered in MFP may have some inaccuracies.

Now let's look at the average MFP user
    1. Probably not weighing out all foods. Estimates intake quite a bit.
    2. May dine out at a restaurant or casserole dishes that are hard to estimate
    3. May skip days or meals and have gaps in data from logging
    4. May not be aware of extra calories in food, or simply forget to add certain ingredients
    5. May not be accurately recording exercise (Choosing wrong intensity or including warm up and cool down time in workout)

Consider some special populations and individuals who are eating VERY low calorie diets, and are losing weight
    - prisoners of war
    - people with GI or absorption issues (crohn's disease, etc)
    - bariatric surgery patients
    - medically supervised protein sparing modified fasts
    ... all these individuals are on severely restricted calories and still lose weight

The ONLY way to sustain a fat loss is to sustain a caloric deficit: big or small

So here's my 2 cents on what really happens in "starvation mode"

Scenario A: Individual cuts calories and doesn't lose any weight
    Possible reasons:
    1. general inconsistencies in tracking (examples above) means the original or new calorie values were inaccurate to begin with.
    2. this individual becomes less physically active after cutting calories
    3. individual binges more severely or often from feeling overly restricted
    4. individual is unaware of "sneaking" foods or bigger portion sizes

Scenario B: Individual eats more and loses weight
    1. Greater accuracy is achieved as person consumes more, he or she pays more attention to accurate portion sizes
    2. Individual begins exercising more
    3. Eats more simple, single ingredient foods, which are usually easier to track and measure

The take home point is that to achieve a weight loss, you have to sustain a deficit. There's no other way to do it. So to the 200 pound person only eating 1,000 calories and not losing weight, I would say, your 1,000 calories is probably a misestimation OR you are indeed eating 1,000 calories until you binge and eat back your deficit. (Or you need to get your thyroid checked, but this post is in regards to individuals with normally functioning thyroids).

Bring on the flame posts and naysayers! My body is ready!

amen! exactly my thoughts
  • FrankieTrailBlazer
    FrankieTrailBlazer Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I believe that one of the problems is magnesium and/or iodine deficiency or deficiencies of other nutrients. Iodine deficiency is common--especially in areas where not a lot of seafood is eaten (plus, if your water is fluoridated, the fluorine ions fill the receptor sites for iodine to make matters worse). Makes for a wonky thyroid gland and lower metabolism.

When you go for a protracted period of time eating at a deficit, it is my theory that unless you are eating VERY well, you will develop nutritional deficiencies--with minerals being high on the list (yes, even if you take a multi every day). Studies show that about 85% of us have magnesium deficiencies (because we don't eat our veggies and fruits) which means that your body cannot efficiently convert T-4 (thyroxine) to the active form, T-3. So you could be pumping out T-4 but be clinically hypothyroid because you cannot convert it to T-3. And guess what? Your weight loss will stall.

Also, magnesium ions are essential for energy transport to the mitochondria. And while we are on the subject of energy transport, metabolizing sugar "uses up" ATP (involved with energy transport). You will feel sluggish if you are eating a lot of sugar and simple carbs. That is why you must eat VERY well on a caloric deficit.

This is quite interesting.

It does seem that we tend to focus too much on the macro-nutrients (as we have been taught directly or indirectly), while ignoring the micro-nutrients. Micro nutrients have zero calorie ratings but are absolutely necessary for proper metabolic processes.

This oversimplification of nutrition seems to be the root of alot of confusion.

Shouldnt we should be optimizing nutrition rather than fooling ourselves by focusing on calories (protein, fat, and carbs)? COunting calories is a good place to start gaining control of our eating habits, but it certainly only should be considered the starting point.

Doesnt this recognition of the micronutrients importance inevitably lead to one massively increasing their (green) veggies consumption to maximize nutrition per calorie in all weight loss strategies (including restricted calorie regimes) while avoiding the stall scenario?
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I believe that one of the problems is magnesium and/or iodine deficiency or deficiencies of other nutrients. Iodine deficiency is common--especially in areas where not a lot of seafood is eaten (plus, if your water is fluoridated, the fluorine ions fill the receptor sites for iodine to make matters worse). Makes for a wonky thyroid gland and lower metabolism.

When you go for a protracted period of time eating at a deficit, it is my theory that unless you are eating VERY well, you will develop nutritional deficiencies--with minerals being high on the list (yes, even if you take a multi every day). Studies show that about 85% of us have magnesium deficiencies (because we don't eat our veggies and fruits) which means that your body cannot efficiently convert T-4 (thyroxine) to the active form, T-3. So you could be pumping out T-4 but be clinically hypothyroid because you cannot convert it to T-3. And guess what? Your weight loss will stall.

Also, magnesium ions are essential for energy transport to the mitochondria. And while we are on the subject of energy transport, metabolizing sugar "uses up" ATP (involved with energy transport). You will feel sluggish if you are eating a lot of sugar and simple carbs. That is why you must eat VERY well on a caloric deficit.

This is quite interesting.

It does seem that we tend to focus too much on the macro-nutrients (as we have been taught directly or indirectly), while ignoring the micro-nutrients. Micro nutrients have zero calorie ratings but are absolutely necessary for proper metabolic processes.

This oversimplification of nutrition seems to be the root of alot of confusion.

Shouldnt we should be optimizing nutrition rather than fooling ourselves by focusing on calories (protein, fat, and carbs)? COunting calories is a good place to start gaining control of our eating habits, but it certainly only should be considered the starting point.

Doesnt this recognition of the micronutrients importance inevitably lead to one massively increasing their (green) veggies consumption to maximize nutrition per calorie in all weight loss strategies (including restricted calorie regimes) while avoiding the stall scenario?

Did for me. :smile: I think I have eaten more spinach, carrots, onions, pepper, etc. in the last three years than I had eaten in my entire adult life up to that point. :laugh: Funny thing is, I grew up eating lots of vegetables. We lived in a rural area and my mom and dad always put in a great big garden. We ate fresh organic vegetables well into the fall and then ate them canned and frozen all winter. But we also ate a lot of sugary junk too (soda pop, cakes, cookies, pies, ice cream, doughnuts, sweet rolls). I was pretty active so I was reasonably healthy---but chubby. I weighed about 170-180 throughout high school. When I got to college, I cut out bread and desserts and trimmed down to an athletic 140. At 5'6" that was a healthy weight that was easy to maintain.

Then life happened. I got married and went on the birth control pill. For many, many women, the birth control pill causes weight gain because it shuts down a woman's natural progesterone production, as it stops ovulation. Natural progesterone enhances thyroid utilization at a cellular level. The synthetic progestins in the birth control pill have no such activity. To make a long story short, I gained a fair bit of weight (about 40 pounds) in a short amount of time (plus I had headaches, digestive complaints, etc.). I then went on every crash diet known to humankind after that point. I had a difficult time losing and a very easy time gaining back plus more. My nutritional status was undoubtedly poor. Then I began to develop chronic illnesses--gouty oteoarthritis as the main serious one (but I added hypertension about ten years ago). I became less active and the weight continued to climb (albeit more slowly after I got off the pill)...

About three years ago, I decided I'd had enough of feeling crummy. I was on the maximum dose of two different blood pressure meds and my doc was talking about putting me on a third. I felt so bad from the first two that I couldn't imagine adding more. I went on a crash program to improve my health. The first thing I did was to cut out added sugar and processed food (even though I had not eaten much of either during my adult life). I restricted my carbs to about 70-100 grams per day--a little more on my heavier exercise days. I go to the pool twice a week and in general, I make a point to be that much more active. And yes, I have increased my consumption of vegetables a lot.

The program obviously worked for me. My blood pressure normalized in about two weeks and I was able to get off of both meds. My weight was starting to decline and then I decided to cut out wheat, and it declined further. A few months ago, I cut out gluten entirely--the only grain I eat is a couple of bowls of steel-cut oats per week (on my pool days). My blood pressure is now about 112/72 (when I take it every morning) and my arthritis is vastly improved. I wish I knew then what I know now. :ohwell:
  • joyride12
    Options
    Bump
  • 04ward
    04ward Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    B