How come no one goes on about fromage frais?

Options

Replies

• dovetail22uk
    dovetail22uk Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Ewww. I could not imagine putting that in the food I cook. Sorry but the greek yoghurt I eat is about 58cal for 100g so that's kinda great. Plus, I don't have it with sweet stuff. I cook with mine. Costs less than fromage frais as well. I don't know about the US, but here you can get greek yoghurt cheap.

LOL no you only put the plain stuff in your cooking, not the sweet stuff!
  • shivles
    shivles Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Ewww. I could not imagine putting that in the food I cook. Sorry but the greek yoghurt I eat is about 58cal for 100g so that's kinda great. Plus, I don't have it with sweet stuff. I cook with mine. Costs less than fromage frais as well. I don't know about the US, but here you can get greek yoghurt cheap.

It just tastes like greek yogurt, don't understand the issue, it's still great to cook with.

the sugary ones don't have as much protein in but the plain ones do, the taste and texture is pretty much the same as greek yogurt
  • dovetail22uk
    Options
    Oh and the good thing about quark is that it's almost twice the protein of fromage frais/ greek yoghurt at 13.6g/100g vs 7g/100g.

Nom nom nom
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    I'm from the UK, and in all honesty it's because I didn't realise it was lower calorie or higher in protein. :laugh:
    Now I know, I'm going to buy some!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge fan and eat 3-4 petit filou 0% when I'm in France. In Germany I eat quark.
    I'm traveling in te USA right now but would love to get my hands on fromage blanc.
  • Weighinginwithmy02
    Weighinginwithmy02 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I already was wondering why I couldn't find a good English translation of the stuff I know as "kwark" (Dutch). It usually is lower in fat and higher in protein then yogurt although there also are very delicious high fat varieties. Yum yum!

Dutch Kwark is delicious and I always assumed it was worse for you than the yogurt, simply because it tastes better! I was eating the Optimel Kwarks but man, they're just horrible. I do agree, the high fat varieties are gorgeous! I'm going to have to pick up a pack and compare, since they quit carrying the Fage Greek yoghurt in my local AH and Dirks.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Crispbread+chocolate spread+quark=heaven

I haven't eaten quark in over a decade! Thanks for the reminder :flowerforyou:
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Wow that's been an eye opener- I thought babies across the world had a daily dose of fromage frais! Can't believe hardly anyones heard of it :)
    I've heard of it but never see it.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I see everyone eating greek yoghurt but no one eating plain fromage frais, why? Fromage frais has less calories and more protein than most of the greek yogurts in my supermarket except the very expensive ones.

fage greek yoghurt is expensive but its fat free and has a tonne of protein in!

i do like the munch bunch fromage frais though!!!
  • Elegra2006
    Elegra2006 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I lived in the Netherlands for a year and the Dutch Quark is aces! They do soooo many flavours (apple and cinnamon anyone) and it's yummy and low cal. The only version I've found in the UK is the more cheesy typye one as opposed to the yoghurt type one - however it's good for making cheesecakes with.

Fromage frais is deeeeeeelicious! Going to stock up on some at the weekend.
  • sunlover89
    sunlover89 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I'm from the UK, I don't eat it because of the sugar content. I love plain cottage cheese, and at 50p for 300g in Asda I'll stick with that!
  • rangersbride
    rangersbride Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I love it :-) My husband and I take a wee portion to work for lunch every day - you can get some really nice ones with flavourings or you can go for the plain one and mix it with honey nuts and berries :-)

My favourite one is from ASDA :-)
  • dovetail22uk
    Options
    I see everyone eating greek yoghurt but no one eating plain fromage frais, why? Fromage frais has less calories and more protein than most of the greek yogurts in my supermarket except the very expensive ones.

fage greek yoghurt is expensive but its fat free and has a tonne of protein in!

i do like the munch bunch fromage frais though!!!

Agree. Fage is lush but out of my price range! Fat free fromage frais from the supermarkets is a fraction of the cost and tastes just as good!
  • Admiral_Derp
    Admiral_Derp Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    I think over here we call them "freedom fries", but I could be mistaken.
  • SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Whilst I probably won't switch to fromage frais from my usual soy yoghurt, I'm definitely going to give Quark a go for cooking!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Both fromage frais and quark can be bought from Amazon.com. They cost a lot more then greek yogurt though.
  • frenchfacey
    frenchfacey Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Usa: whole foods. All of them. No more expensive than Greek yogurt.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    In the interest of those not represented, Tesco's have Chobani.
  • shivles
    shivles Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I'm from the UK, I don't eat it because of the sugar content. I love plain cottage cheese, and at 50p for 300g in Asda I'll stick with that!

I'm talking about the plain stuff not the sugary type marketed at kids

I'll have to try quark
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I bought some Be Good To Yourself quark at Sainsbury's last night, and I've just tried a blob of it on a pear tart.

It's lovely! Very similar to thick Greek yoghurt, but loads of protein, low fat, low carb. Definitely a must-have in my fridge from now on.