How come no one goes on about fromage frais?

Replies

• Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    I'd like to try some. I figured Whole Foods probably sells it here in the states but their website doesn't return any search results. ;-(
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fromage_frais
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    I bought some Be Good To Yourself quark at Sainsbury's last night, and I've just tried a blob of it on a pear tart.

It's lovely! Very similar to thick Greek yoghurt, but loads of protein, low fat, low carb. Definitely a must-have in my fridge from now on.

Quark is great but it has only the slightest resemblance with fromage blanc/fromage frais. Quark can come in flavors and is less dense than fromage blanc.

Btw either is a great base for adding whey and ice cream.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Last time I saw fromage frais, it was $9 per 100g.

Not exactly something that will be a common addition to my larder.
  • LouiseH238
    LouiseH238 Posts: 199 Member
    I see everyone eating greek yoghurt but no one eating plain fromage frais, why? Fromage frais has less calories and more protein than most of the greek yogurts in my supermarket except the very expensive ones.

Fromage frais had completely slipped my mind. I do my shopping online, looked it up and it's literally less than half the price of Fage greek yoghurt for the same amount! Thank you!
  • shivles
    shivles Posts: 468 Member
    It sucks it's so expensive in the US, in the UK its £1 which is something like $0.60 I think for 500g
  • Pandy1962
    Pandy1962 Posts: 105 Member
    I buy the weight watchers fromage frais (pack of 4 different flavours), I have 1 each day for my breakfast.
    Only 48 or 49 calories (depends on the flavour)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    I love it, was eating it all the time when I was in France, but yeah, impossible to find here, although really I guess it's not that far off Greek yogurt... just better... Sadface.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    I'm currently in the US and I'm told WholeFoods carries it. *hunting party sets off*
  • I've just discovered Kingdom curd cheese from Sainsburys. Tastes just like cottage cheese but not as watery and without the lumps so suits me because its the wateryness and lumps that put me off cottage cheese. Never tried quark, didn't know what it was - I thought it was some sort of quorn'y type thing so I'll look out for it.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    It's just made with whole or skim milk and cream, according to Wikipedia. If it's expensive in the U.S., maybe it's just because it's imported in small quantities. I don't mind paying for it, at least to try it, I just can't find any. I checked Publix (a high end grocery store company in the Southeast U.S.) and even they didn't have it. I will check Whole Foods but since it's not on their website, I'm not optimistic.
  • krhn
    krhn Posts: 781 Member
    Isn't that the yogurt of the Kids advert of petit fi Lou (don't know French ) :smokin:
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    You must be a Brit, OP... it's not terribly common in American grocery stores, and I think there must be quite a lot of US users on this site. Greek yogurt seems to have won that war here.
  • larsensue
    larsensue Posts: 461 Member
    I have not run across this in Canada yet but will be watching the shelves!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    I'm currently in the US and I'm told WholeFoods carries it. *hunting party sets off*

Just went to look. Nope, nil, nein, rien, don't have.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member

Whole Foods puts that kind of stuff in their cheese department rather than in the "dairy" area, so it won't be near yogurts.
  • rosehippy77
    rosehippy77 Posts: 54 Member
    I thought it was basically cheese and sugar.

:edit:

probably the fault of this stuff (toddler crack) -

34681011h.jpg
    Toddler crack! Ha, that gave me a giggle! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Francl27

Whole Foods puts that kind of stuff in their cheese department rather than in the "dairy" area, so it won't be near yogurts.

I think I've seen it but it was so expensive I didn't buy it. Um. Or it was 'creme fraiche'.
  • abideedum
    abideedum Posts: 71 Member
    Wow that's been an eye opener- I thought babies across the world had a daily dose of fromage frais! Can't believe hardly anyones heard of it :) I like it better than greek yogurt, and the kids ones are gorgeous!

I know! I honestly thought that was a normal lunchbox food! You Americans are missing out!
  • abideedum
    abideedum Posts: 71 Member
    Also not to show off or anything, but 60p for 6 pots ;)
  • Francl27
    Wow that's been an eye opener- I thought babies across the world had a daily dose of fromage frais! Can't believe hardly anyones heard of it :) I like it better than greek yogurt, and the kids ones are gorgeous!

I know! I honestly thought that was a normal lunchbox food! You Americans are missing out!

I was pissed when I moved to the US, I tell you LOL.

We have a kid one that tastes a lot alike though (danonino). Just no plain one.