How come no one goes on about fromage frais?

Options

Replies

• Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I'm currently in the US and I'm told WholeFoods carries it. *hunting party sets off*

Just went to look. Nope, nil, nein, rien, don't have.

Whole Foods puts that kind of stuff in their cheese department rather than in the "dairy" area, so it won't be near yogurts.
    Do they put everything on their website? It's not there.
  • Deipneus
    Options
    I was pissed when I moved to the US, I tell you LOL.
    I just met a nice couple who moved to my neighborhood from France. I'll have to ask 'em if they know where to get it around here. The Upstate of South Carolina (U.S.) is a far more international community than most outsiders think. BMW and Michelin bring a lot of people to live and work here. Surely there are places that sell foods they would want.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I'm currently in the US and I'm told WholeFoods carries it. *hunting party sets off*

Whole Foods puts that kind of stuff in their cheese department rather than in the "dairy" area, so it won't be near yogurts.

No, because the inventory for each region (and even store) is determined by the buyers for each department. Each bakery might carry slightly different things, and the produce will be different, and dairy and cheese selections will often be different from store to store. I also doubt any of their websites reflect their inventory accurately (frankly, it never occurred to me to look on their website for a product). You *can*, however, search for distributors of a product, if you know some local producer of fromage frais and they keep a decent website.
  • bumblebums
    Options

I think I've seen it but it was so expensive I didn't buy it. Um. Or it was 'creme fraiche'.

Yeah, "creme fraiche" is a similar product.

Btw, guys, you can make your own. Take some milk, add some culture starter (e.g., a tablespoon of buttermilk, kefir, or your favorite yogurt), stir, cover with a cloth towel, and stick the thing in the oven. Don't turn the oven on. The next day, you should have some cultured milk.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

I think I've seen it but it was so expensive I didn't buy it. Um. Or it was 'creme fraiche'.

Btw, guys, you can make your own. Take some milk, add some culture starter (e.g., a tablespoon of buttermilk, kefir, or your favorite yogurt), stir, cover with a cloth towel, and stick the thing in the oven. Don't turn the oven on. The next day, you should have some cultured milk.

I checked the cheese dept, I asked, nope.
    And I'm sorry but creme fraiche is not at all like fromage blanc. Creme fraiche is 20% fat cream, used in cooking, etc. fromage blanc is my kids dessert, they add a spoonful of honey or sugar. Taste, viscosity are very different.
  • Deipneus
    Options

No, because the inventory for each region (and even store) is determined by the buyers for each department. Each bakery might carry slightly different things, and the produce will be different, and dairy and cheese selections will often be different from store to store. I also doubt any of their websites reflect their inventory accurately (frankly, it never occurred to me to look on their website for a product). You *can*, however, search for distributors of a product, if you know some local producer of fromage frais and they keep a decent website.
    Makes sense so "Whole Foods carries it" doesn't help...
  • bumblebums
    Options

Well, I am sorry. Good luck finding it wherever you shop. Strangers on the internet can only help you so much in your quest.
  • Wishusdonna
    Wishusdonna Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I thought it was basically cheese and sugar.

:edit:

probably the fault of this stuff (toddler crack) -

34681011h.jpg
    Toddler crack! Ha, that gave me a giggle! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I'm amazed no one in the US had heard of fromage frais - I thought the above was the A Team's Mr. T's favourite brand!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options

Well, I am sorry. Good luck finding it wherever you shop. Strangers on the internet can only help you so much in your quest.

No, it was great input. I went and didn't find it but scored some great yogurt. Going through that now. Thanks!
  • Deipneus
    Options
    okay so I went to Whole Foods in Greenville South Carolina today and they have Fromage Blanc but not From age Frais. and then I realize Wikipedia says they are the same thing. Is it?
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I'm curious. I'll need to look up how to make it. I make 500ml of creme fraiche from time to time because it's easy and tasty.

Anyone have a recipe on how to make fromage frais and the appropriate bacteria culture to use? I'm off to the gym, but will check later.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    okay so I went to Whole Foods in Greenville South Carolina today and they have Fromage Blanc but not Fromage Frais. and then I realize Wikipedia says they are the same thing. Is it?

Pretty much so. Afterwards there are some variations by brand.

And I'm glad to report that the local Whole Foods has two types of Fromage Blanc

M57rLWEl.jpg

The Vermont 0% tastes closer to Petit Suisse, Petit Filou (the zero percent kind) but has a slight difference. The Cowgirl Creamery stuff is fromage blanc only in name - it's closer to butter/fresh cheese (salted) and less like the flat yoghurt taste of French fromage blanc.

Edit: the reason I could not find it before is that these are in tubs and placed with the specialty cheeses and not the normal diary section where they belong.
  • gonnamakeanewaccount
    gonnamakeanewaccount Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Never heard of it.
  • Annie83uk
    Annie83uk Posts: 128
    Options
    i use greek yogurt cause thats what they use in all my recipes, is fromage frais healthier, as in fat free and low calorie? why do people keep comparing it to cottage cheese? its yogurt
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    . It does come as 40%, 20%, 5% or 0% fat. The zero percent has a higher protein profile per calorie or per gram than most Greek yogurts. I don't consider it more or less healthy just different and tasty.

For my palate, cottage cheese is meh.
  • astrylian
    astrylian Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I see everyone eating greek yoghurt but no one eating plain fromage frais, why? Fromage frais has less calories and more protein than most of the greek yogurts in my supermarket except the very expensive ones.

i haven't seen it around, here. I am not sure of the duration required to create fromage frais?

A lot of French cheeses are banned in the United States. My French significant other always complains about how it's easier to obtain a gun than French cheese in the U.S. There are different food regulations here - cheese that is not aged past a certain date is outlawed, including many French cheeses.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    I see everyone eating greek yoghurt but no one eating plain fromage frais, why? Fromage frais has less calories and more protein than most of the greek yogurts in my supermarket except the very expensive ones.

i haven't seen it around, here. I am not sure of the duration required to create fromage frais?

A lot of French cheeses are banned in the United States. My French significant other always complains about how it's easier to obtain a gun than French cheese in the U.S. There are different food regulations here - cheese that is not aged past a certain date is outlawed, including many French cheeses.

Read the rest of the thread.. Fromage blanc is "locally" made in Vermont.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    You know can't even buy it anywhere near me. No wonder I never eat it. I can't buy it & I'll assume so many others cant either.
  • zerryz
    zerryz Posts: 168 Member
    Options

I checked the cheese dept, I asked, nope.
    And I'm sorry but creme fraiche is not at all like fromage blanc. Creme fraiche is 20% fat cream, used in cooking, etc. fromage blanc is my kids dessert, they add a spoonful of honey or sugar. Taste, viscosity are very different.

I second that. Crème fraîche is closer to sour cream if there's any US dairy product that it can be compared to, but not quite. Alta Dena just started to commercialize a type that is pretty darn close to what can be found in France (other types are too buttery, called "Chef" style).
    creme-fraiche.gif
  • DaniKL
    DaniKL Posts: 4
    Options
    i love it and also german quark

Do you actually eat quark plain? I think it is too sour... I like it on bread and to finish dishes. I could see maybe with some splenda and berries. I guess I've never thought to try it that way.