A doc told me something no one else has....

Options
Losing weight sucks and you'll feel hungry for a while as your body resets.

No one has every told me that during the weight loss process that I'll be hungry. It's something we've always known but no one has ever said it to me and I found it to be a very frank comment and I thanked him for it! It's all about 85/15 or 90/10 making the best choices you can for the situation.

There are a lot of hormonal issues with weight, weight loss and feeling hungry, but do any of us truly know what hunger is? The hunger I'm talking about is discomfort... I'll be uncomfortable for a little while (maybe a year or more..) as I lose this weight and my body resets to be "normal" again!

What's more uncomfortable... being heavy forever or being a little hungry for a while??.

Replies

• bornleader1
    bornleader1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You said a mouth full. I'll take the discomfort!
  • wigglingalltheway
    Options
    Have you considered a low carb or ketogenic approach? Eat as much as you like within reason. The loss of refined carbs means you never feel hunger pains. I dont want to preach too much but I highly recommend looking into it as it completely changed my perspective on "diets".
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Losing weight sucks and you'll feel hungry for a while as your body resets.

No one has every told me that during the weight loss process that I'll be hungry. It's something we've always known but no one has ever said it to me and I found it to be a very frank comment and I thanked him for it! It's all about 85/15 or 90/10 making the best choices you can for the situation.

There are a lot of hormonal issues with weight, weight loss and feeling hungry, but do any of us truly know what hunger is? The hunger I'm talking about is discomfort... I'll be uncomfortable for a little while (maybe a year or more..) as I lose this weight and my body resets to be "normal" again!

What's more uncomfortable... being heavy forever or being a little hungry for a while??.

hungry for a YEAR?! i did 1200 cals for 12 weeks, and was hungry all that time! that was plenty for me!

yes, you may feel hungry for a few weeks while you get used to eating less, but just plain hungry all the time? you're not eating enough!
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Have you considered a low carb or ketogenic approach? Eat as much as you like within reason. The loss of refined carbs means you never feel hunger pains. I dont want to preach too much but I highly recommend looking into it as it completely changed my perspective on "diets".

I've lost most of my weight on keto, but I've had to put it on hold for a few weeks due to a couple of money issues (most of my money is going towards paying off debt so I can get rid of it quicker). I'm losing weight without it, but hunger is always quick to return after a meal.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    I think there was a short time when that was true. Here are a few tips for not being hungry.

- Eat foods that fill you up. A good combination of high-quality carbs and protein will help. IE: 0% Greek yogurt with a sliced apple etc. Junk doesn't fill you up, so get rid of it.
    - Spread out your calories. Make sure you eat smaller meals, and eat snacks.
    - People are different, some are hungrier in the morning and other at night. Have your larger meal at that time.
    - Dink water, sometimes that will take away the huger and help us to feel more full. I suggest drinking a large glass 15 minutes before you eat.
    - Exercise takes away the cravings.

And yes, there will be some times when you are hungry, so?

I was almost 100 pounds overweight laying in the ICU - I'll take life and hunger any day.
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    That's a good point. Yes, there is discomfort sometimes in being hungry and denying yourself food you'd like to eat. But lately, I have lost weight around my middle that was TORTURING me. I felt it every minute of the day, keeping me from moving, in my way when I want to bend, jiggling when I walked to let me know it was always there. So now, the COMFORT of losing that spare tire feels wonderful and the trade-off of feeling a bit of hunger sometimes is totally worth it.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options

low carb diets are gimmicks. unless you plan to live that way for the rest of your life, they don't really help you learn how to have a healthy relationship with food. it's better to learn how to eat all foods in moderation, because that best equips you to maintain your loss 5 years, 10 years, and 20 years down the road.

i suggest an "If It Fits Your Macros" (IIFYM) approach. unless you have a medical condition that requires you to limit carbs, carbs and fiber are useful nutrients.
  • todayis4me
    todayis4me Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    There are tricks and tips you will learn along the way to combat feeling hungry....without cutting out all of a particular food group.....reservist a great word ....while your body resets as you put it you will also reset your way of thinking and your relationship with food......Best of luck on your journey and find some supportive friends! (Open diaries are a great way to get ideas on menu planning and to find different brands of things we love that are healthier options ) :smile: reservist? Haha should have been reset lol
  • snowmanluv
    snowmanluv Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I went through a couple of weeks of "cravings" and "eating way too much" while trying to figure out proportions and healthy choices. This is week 3 and I am feeling balanced...finally. Able to stick to things much easier and keep it reasonable. Drink extra water. Have extra veggies around when you are starving. Yesterday I made homemade Taco Soup with lots of fiber that worked wonders for filling me up without a lot of calories or consumption.
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I hate being hungry. There is no need to starve to lose weight, you can still do it and be satisfied by good food. Cut out the processed food products and eat more natural foods, and you will keep within your calories easily and not be hungry.
  • janatarnhem
    janatarnhem Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I think there was a short time when that was true. Here are a few tips for not being hungry.

- Eat foods that fill you up. A good combination of high-quality carbs and protein will help. IE: 0% Greek yogurt with a sliced apple etc. Junk doesn't fill you up, so get rid of it.
    - Spread out your calories. Make sure you eat smaller meals, and eat snacks.
    - People are different, some are hungrier in the morning and other at night. Have your larger meal at that time.
    - Dink water, sometimes that will take away the huger and help us to feel more full. I suggest drinking a large glass 15 minutes before you eat.
    - Exercise takes away the cravings.

And yes, there will be some times when you are hungry, so?

I was almost 100 pounds overweight laying in the ICU - I'll take life and hunger any day.

SOUND ADVICE HERE^^^^ :drinker:
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Thanks for saying that.
    We are so use to instant gratification that mild hunger is considered something we need to instantly eliminate, when it should be responsibly dealt with.
  • blobby10
    blobby10 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I think it's important to define WHEN it's 'OK' to feel hungry. Such as up to an hour before your next scheduled meal - as it means your body has efficiently burned the fuel you gave it last meal and is now ready for more. If you are genuinely hungry an hour after eating then you need to look at what you eat and how much. This is a lesson that I have only just learned - you CAN feel hungry while cooking your evening meal and you don't have to eat whilst doing it!

x
  • rosiereally2
    rosiereally2 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I'm never hungry. I eat between 1600-1850 cals per day. Fuel your body, don't deprive it.

Doctors are not necessarily nutritional experts. Trust me, I'm a former nurse. I've seen how many of them live.
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options

low carb diets are gimmicks. unless you plan to live that way for the rest of your life, they don't really help you learn how to have a healthy relationship with food. it's better to learn how to eat all foods in moderation, because that best equips you to maintain your loss 5 years, 10 years, and 20 years down the road.

i suggest an "If It Fits Your Macros" (IIFYM) approach. unless you have a medical condition that requires you to limit carbs, carbs and fiber are useful nutrients.

This definitely! I've been doing well for the past 13 months. I don't feel hungry or deprived. I never think about stopping what I am doing b/c it is now part of my life.
  • tonybalony01
    tonybalony01 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Yes, losing weight does suck. If it didn't, we wouldn't have all these people out there looking for that no-diet-no-exercise-eat-all-the-junk-food-you-want magic pill (and the con artists out there saying they've found it). But, in the end, when that doctor looks at you with a smile and says, "Good job. You're at a healthy weight and you don't have to take your blood pressure/cholesterol/insulin/etc. medications anymore," it makes that little bit of discomfort worth it.
  • wigglingalltheway
    Options

I have to disagree. I agree that its not practical to eat low carb for life, at least in the strictest sense but to call it a gimmick ... in the nicest possible way ... shows ignorance.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I don't personally find that hunger is necessary. I've never gone hungry and I haven't had any trouble. I eat filling foods and I eat enough calories. I make sure I get enough protein and fat. That's really all there is to it for me. If you're constantly uncomfortable then I'd start looking for things to tweak.
  • NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    I don't personally find that hunger is necessary. I've never gone hungry and I haven't had any trouble. I eat filling foods and I eat enough calories. I make sure I get enough protein and fat. That's really all there is to it for me. If you're constantly uncomfortable then I'd start looking for things to tweak.

+ 1.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    I'm never hungry. I eat between 1600-1850 cals per day. Fuel your body, don't deprive it.

Doctors are not necessarily nutritional experts. Trust me, I'm a former nurse. I've seen how many of them live.

^ this.

you can survive on a low carb diet, but you may end up feeling mentally and physically sluggish as a result. carbs are a useful and quick source of energy.