A doc told me something no one else has....

Options

Replies

• UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I didn't find that to be the case. I was never really hungry (unless it was close to meal-time when I should be hungry). I just ate roughly 2000 calories a day and let things happen. I never felt like there was any reset or transitional period.
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    Have you considered a low carb or ketogenic approach? Eat as much as you like within reason. The loss of refined carbs means you never feel hunger pains. I dont want to preach too much but I highly recommend looking into it as it completely changed my perspective on "diets".

If Gweneth Paltrow and her kids are any indication, there's definitely hunger pains from not eating those foods. (Obviously take this with a grain of salt because she's by no means any kind of expert.)

I am hungry sometimes but I also don't deny myself anything, and I have no problems staying within my calories except for the occasional splurge.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    If you are hungry, then you are doing it wrong.
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    Losing weight sucks and you'll feel hungry for a while as your body resets.

No one has every told me that during the weight loss process that I'll be hungry. It's something we've always known but no one has ever said it to me and I found it to be a very frank comment and I thanked him for it! It's all about 85/15 or 90/10 making the best choices you can for the situation.

There are a lot of hormonal issues with weight, weight loss and feeling hungry, but do any of us truly know what hunger is? The hunger I'm talking about is discomfort... I'll be uncomfortable for a little while (maybe a year or more..) as I lose this weight and my body resets to be "normal" again!

What's more uncomfortable... being heavy forever or being a little hungry for a while??.

hungry for a YEAR?! i did 1200 cals for 12 weeks, and was hungry all that time! that was plenty for me!

yes, you may feel hungry for a few weeks while you get used to eating less, but just plain hungry all the time? you're not eating enough!

^^^^ THAT!

I ate pizza last night. Same pizza I always have eaten. When I was 35lbs heavier, I could eat 6 pieces and still look at more and think......hmmmm should I have another?

Last night I ate 4 slices and it felt like I had Thanksgiving dinner and heartburn. After awhile your body will adapt to eating what its supposed to......if you are still starving all the time.....you arent eating the right kinds of foods or enough of them.
  • twelfty
    twelfty Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    this is a good time to adjust your daily protein intake higher, i wouldn;t say cut out carbs, but lowering them to 40% is perfectly normal, and is easily sustainable, increasing your protein with this will help with feelings of hunger because it's very filling and lasts a good while, also foods that are naturally high in protein are generally lower in calories, so you get a massive benefit from this very minor adjustment

well worth looking into
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I'm only hungry for the first week, then my stomch get used to the amount of food.
    When I diet, I eat lots of veggies and protein and avoid drinking my calories, when I bulk (eat above TDEE to gain) I drink a lot of my calories and eat quite a lot of calorie dense foods. This way the amount of food I have is similar, and I don't suffer from hunger.
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I agree on Atkins marketing being very gimmicky since they push "frankenfoods" loaded with weird ingredients (like their bars, which are okay in moderation, although I never eat them).

A keto approach (focusing on getting your carbs from vegetables and some fruits) has helped me eat more whole foods. I've been cooking at home instead of going out or getting drive thru foods, shopping for fresh produce, and the change has been drastic. I, for one, have had more energy since making these changes.

No, you don't need to do keto, Atkins, South Beach, etc. to experience this or learn how to eat properly. But keto taught me how to fuel my body without feeling hungry, so I'll stick with that "gimmick" for as long as I can.

But back to the OP:

In my personal experience, I find that the less the food is processed, the longer it "sticks with you."
  • andrewjuu
    andrewjuu Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I was talking to someone at work about this very same subject. She was asking me what I do when I get to the end of the day, am at my calorie limit yet am still hungry. I honestly can say that hasn't happened to me in the three weeks I have been using myfitnesspal to count calories (that sound you hear is me knocking on wood). I virtually never am hungry (averaging about 1500 cals/day). I spread them out pretty well I guess. I also don't deny a craving or two every now & then, I just fit it into my calorie budget. But generally I know what I'm going to eat each day & when so maybe that's the reason I don't get hungry, idk?
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    Have you considered a low carb or ketogenic approach? Eat as much as you like within reason. The loss of refined carbs means you never feel hunger pains. I dont want to preach too much but I highly recommend looking into it as it completely changed my perspective on "diets".

low carb diets are gimmicks. unless you plan to live that way for the rest of your life, they don't really help you learn how to have a healthy relationship with food. it's better to learn how to eat all foods in moderation, because that best equips you to maintain your loss 5 years, 10 years, and 20 years down the road.

i suggest an "If It Fits Your Macros" (IIFYM) approach. unless you have a medical condition that requires you to limit carbs, carbs and fiber are useful nutrients.

I have to disagree. I agree that its not practical to eat low carb for life, at least in the strictest sense but to call it a gimmick ... in the nicest possible way ... shows ignorance.

the ignorance is on your part, not mine. low carb is very much a gimmick diet. you will lose water weight as a result of cutting your carbs drastically, but this is not sustainable. professional bodybuilders do that in the days leading up to a competition in order to get their "leanest" look, but you can't sustain it. atkins is also a well recognized gimmick diet that cuts carbs down to minimal levels. again, this is not something you can sustain for long periods of time without facing possible health risks.

http://www.atkinsexposed.org/printer-friendly.html

This is way too complex a subject to argue about here I suggest we just withdraw with grace.

We can both through studies and pages at each other that will make the other look wrong but ultimatly its down to individual choice and needs.

carbs are not bad. and any low carb diet is an unnecessary restriction in my opinion (unless medically necessary). that doesn't mean that certain types of foods don't fuel your hunger. breads and pasta do it for me. they are calorie dense (carb dense) and they leave me hungry again, sooner. but i don't have to go low carb to avoid overeating and i don't have to omit those foods from my diet. i just have to exercise restraint and decent choices with my meals most of the time. this is the key to success and sustainability.

the issue i have is with this argument.

A can lead to B. B is bad. therefore A must be avoided.

it's completely spurious and it's a frustratingly common mindset i run into with low carb'ers. i wish everyone who didn't have to restrict carbs for medical reasons, could free their minds and understand that IIFYM is the simplest and most direct method for planning your caloric and nutritional intake. but for whatever reason, some can't see the forest through the trees and become militant about their low carb philosophies. if you haven't seen them, you will soon enough. there are 3 or 4 well known ones who will likely discover their thread and come in here before the day is through...
  • hbsmall09
    hbsmall09 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    can someone help me??? I am tiny 4'9" currently 105lbs yes I hear all the time you don't need to lose weight, however I have a lot of fat on me and I am no where near toned. I work out 4-5 times a week circuit training with Jillian Micheals, I have seen a big difference but the eating is where I am so stuck. I keep seeing I need to be at 1200 calories but this is so hard! these are my issues:

1.) I EAT a ton and I don't really feel that hungry I get hungry at snack time and normal eating times but other wise I am satisfied.
    2.) I have real trouble getting to the 1200 I am more around 1000 to 1100. If I work out I seem to be way under and hear that I won't lose weight like I want and will burn muscle not fat.
    3.) I am ALWAYS over on Protein. Yet way under in calories.

I have been dieting (eating sensible) for 4 1/2 months working out for 3 1/2 months I have lost 4-5 pounds in that time frame and clothes are startng to fit better, but my progress is S-L-O-W, which I understand but I hear it will be even slower if I don't eat the 1200.

**SIGH I have hit a point of frustration, can anyone else relate, or offer suggestions?
  • wigglingalltheway
    Options
    I agree on Atkins marketing being very gimmicky since they push "frankenfoods" loaded with weird ingredients (like their bars, which are okay in moderation, although I never eat them).

A keto approach (focusing on getting your carbs from vegetables and some fruits) has helped me eat more whole foods. I've been cooking at home instead of going out or getting drive thru foods, shopping for fresh produce, and the change has been drastic. I, for one, have had more energy since making these changes.

No, you don't need to do keto, Atkins, South Beach, etc. to experience this or learn how to eat properly. But keto taught me how to fuel my body without feeling hungry, so I'll stick with that "gimmick" for as long as I can.

But back to the OP:

In my personal experience, I find that the less the food is processed, the longer it "sticks with you."

put better than I managed. Appologies to the OP for hijacking with my arguments :oD like the above I get fustraited when people think low carb is all atkins and eating steak all the time lol.
  • tatebos
    tatebos Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I have lost all of my weight and I am now trying to maintain my healthy weight. I have to say that I am still hungry a lot of the time. I think it is because I am burning a lot more calories from strength training and other exercise. I am working on gradually upping my calories while trying to maintain my current weight. It is not easy. However the occasional discomfort I feel from hunger is not nearly as bad as the discomfort I occasionally feel from eating too much. That is the worst. The trick is to find the balance and to eat the right foods, but it is a constant balance and it doesn't end when you reach your goal weight. Good Luck!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Doctors aren't nutritionists.
  • palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I do feel hungry all the time, about 4 or 5 times a day right before I eat my next snack or meal. I think it's important for me to be hungry before I let myself eat something. For me, after having counted calories on and off for the last 3 and 1/2 years it was a matter of relearning the true signals for hunger in my body. Are you actually hungry or do you just want to eat? I have to constantly ask myself this. Also I had to teach myself the difference between satisfied and stuffed full. So while you are first starting a healthier lifestyle you will think you are hungry but it's actually just the transition of learning when you've had enough to satisfy true hunger.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options

low carb diets are gimmicks. unless you plan to live that way for the rest of your life, they don't really help you learn how to have a healthy relationship with food. it's better to learn how to eat all foods in moderation, because that best equips you to maintain your loss 5 years, 10 years, and 20 years down the road.

i suggest an "If It Fits Your Macros" (IIFYM) approach. unless you have a medical condition that requires you to limit carbs, carbs and fiber are useful nutrients.

I have to disagree. I agree that its not practical to eat low carb for life, at least in the strictest sense but to call it a gimmick ... in the nicest possible way ... shows ignorance.

oh the irony..... please, please, please show me one peer reviewed study where limiting carbs had any effect on fat loss vs a control group eating the same number of calories and not limiting carbs....... please...... just 1.
  • SandiW02
    SandiW02 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I have yet to be hungry while losing weight. I eat easily 4x as much now as I did before, but I'm eating good, healthy, nutritious foods so I get to eat a lot more of them for a lot less calories (I'm losing 2lbs a week).

I have just realized this myslef. I am eating way more after joining this site on Tuesday (April 9, 2013) and have already dropped 2 lbs. I am not hungry at all and feel like I am constantly eating compared to what I was told to do in the past. Best advice I can give is to try new foods and nutricious foods. Small changes in diet can make a big change, not to just the scale, but not feeling hungry.
  • grumpy2032
    grumpy2032 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    When I feel hungry I go for raw vegies or a spoon full of peanutbutter or a change in what I"m doing it helps .and drinking all your water it helps too [ keep ya full ]
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    can someone help me??? I am tiny 4'9" currently 105lbs yes I hear all the time you don't need to lose weight, however I have a lot of fat on me and I am no where near toned. I work out 4-5 times a week circuit training with Jillian Micheals, I have seen a big difference but the eating is where I am so stuck. I keep seeing I need to be at 1200 calories but this is so hard! these are my issues:

1.) I EAT a ton and I don't really feel that hungry I get hungry at snack time and normal eating times but other wise I am satisfied.
    2.) I have real trouble getting to the 1200 I am more around 1000 to 1100. If I work out I seem to be way under and hear that I won't lose weight like I want and will burn muscle not fat.
    3.) I am ALWAYS over on Protein. Yet way under in calories.

I have been dieting (eating sensible) for 4 1/2 months working out for 3 1/2 months I have lost 4-5 pounds in that time frame and clothes are startng to fit better, but my progress is S-L-O-W, which I understand but I hear it will be even slower if I don't eat the 1200.

**SIGH I have hit a point of frustration, can anyone else relate, or offer suggestions?

Starting your own thread will yield better results than tacking your question on to someone else's.

You do need to eat at least 1200. 1200 is the absolute bare minimum and most people actually need more. I suggest you go here and read this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/952996-level-obstacles-lose-weight-target-fat-easy

And also make sure you're logging accurately. Weigh your food. No estimates. Enter your own recipes.
  • pwittek10
    pwittek10 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I am never hungry, just bored
    I had to learn to tell the difference.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Increased hunger and its associated horseman of the apocalypse: increased appetite and lack of satiety are, in my opinion, the biggest factors on why people have difficulty adhering to diets.

Find a method that keeps you as full as possible and minimises cravings at a calorie deficit, be it low carb or not, and you will be golden.

Some hunger is expected no matter what approach you take.

Excessive hunger and cravings are a sign of an unsuitable diet set up for the individual.