Is Oatmeal processed food???

Options

Replies

• sheldonz42
    sheldonz42 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    the less processed, the more nutritionally beneficial.

I respectfully disagree - read the third world countries regarding their "unprocessed" water.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

You've made this statement before. It's as much BS now as it was then.

Are your flax seeds more nutritionally beneficial before you grind them? How about oats right off the stalk? Wheat? Do you consume your wheat raw and unprocessed and never eat bread? And what about dairy? Do you refuse to eat cheese and instead drink only raw whole milk because it's better?
  • sheldonz42
    Options
    haha the problem is people like you view the world in black and white where there are actually shades of grey.

a carrot that has been cut is far less processed than a pop tart. there is a gradient. and the less processed, the more nutritionally beneficial.

Anything that starts out with "the problem is people like you" . . .

Anyway. I've noticed this being a source of friction many times in the forum. It may be helpful to specify that you're referring to "heavily processed foods" or something to denote the gradient you acknowledge.

I think everyone here agrees that a pop tart is more heavily processed than a baby carrot.

I further think everyone would agree that the sugars and carbs in a pop tart are so simple that it provides a very quick feeling of satisfaction which is closely followed by low blood sugar. That this dip can cause someone a sensation of hunger that induces them to eat more.

Y'all knuckleheads AGREE, STAHP IT!

But, but.... it's fun (kinda)!
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I do love the steel cut or rolled oatmeal. The texture is really nice - has some actual chew to it rather than being like wallpaper paste. Kind of like preferring al dente pasta to the overcooked noodles most restaurants serve. I wonder how many people eat the instant stuff because they don't realize steel cut and rolled only take 10min in the microwave? And I suppose they've probably never tasted it to see there's a difference.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

I respectfully disagree - read the third world countries regarding their "unprocessed" water.

sweet mother of god.
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    funny because from where I stand, the sadder thing is how many obese people there are in this country because they DON'T eat whole foods. And how many sick people there are in this country because they DO eat pesticide-laden foods.

just me though.

No one is obese "because they don't eat whole foods."

when you don't eat whole foods, you're eating processed foods. when you eat processed foods, unless you track your intake, it's extremely easy to overeat because your stomach doesn't relay that it's full until you've stuffed an insane amount of calories in your face, and if you're doing that, you will become obese.

it's much easier to become fat eating processed foods than whole foods unless you track your intake

the vast majority of people do not track their intake.

is it a direct causal relationship? no. is it a huge, huge factor? yes.

As I have said before, cut carrots ARE processed. Thus Jonnythan's position on elimination of "processed" as it is misused...

haha the problem is people like you view the world in black and white where there are actually shades of grey.

a carrot that has been cut is far less processed than a pop tart. there is a gradient. and the less processed, the more nutritionally beneficial.

Yes, but no one says they are making food choices and switches based on choosing less processed versions or alternatives. No one says, I switched to raw baby carrots instead of candied carrots at my favorite restaurant. They just say they are "eliminating processed foods" or "eating clean" or "eating ____% clean". Which are all BS misleading terms.

Personally I don't think I have eaten so much as 0.00001 completely unprocessed foods in my life, because I tend to cook stuff and am not a zombie noshing on the still living. And I haven't routinely eaten dirty food since I was a small toddler who would put most anything in its mouth.
  • sheldonz42
    Options

sweet mother of god.

Okay, look, I know what you mean. That still doesn't change the fact that the abbreviated phrases result in misused words (e.g., ALL foods are made of chemicals.)

I think you and Jonnythan both seem like decent fellows, and I think you both have good intentions. I am not out to pick on you. It is a frustrating situation because people blindly buy into the whole "chemicals, processed, organic" things with no discernment whatsoever. Natural =/= good, for example, in the case of hemlock, but we get beaten over the head with "natural is better" all the time. I am just tired of a bunch of trumped up hype.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    funny because from where I stand, the sadder thing is how many obese people there are in this country because they DON'T eat whole foods. And how many sick people there are in this country because they DO eat pesticide-laden foods.

just me though.

when you don't eat whole foods, you're eating processed foods. when you eat processed foods, unless you track your intake, it's extremely easy to overeat because your stomach doesn't relay that it's full until you've stuffed an insane amount of calories in your face, and if you're doing that, you will become obese.

it's much easier to become fat eating processed foods than whole foods unless you track your intake

I grew up in the 60's and 70's. Everyone ate processed food, and a lot of if. Much fewer were overweight than now.
  • JulesAlloggio
    JulesAlloggio Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    the flavored ones I would stay away from... high in sugar.

The regular plain oats.. they are good but watch portions. too much of it will do more damage than good.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

just me though.

As I have said before, cut carrots ARE processed. Thus Jonnythan's position on elimination of "processed" as it is misused...

Yes, but no one says they are making food choices and switches based on choosing less processed versions or alternatives. No one says, I switched to raw baby carrots instead of candied carrots at my favorite restaurant. They just say they are "eliminating processed foods" or "eating clean" or "eating ____% clean". Which are all BS misleading terms.

Personally I don't think I have eaten so much as 0.00001 completely unprocessed foods in my life, because I tend to cook stuff and am not a zombie noshing on the still living. And I haven't routinely eaten dirty food since I was a small toddler who would put most anything in its mouth.

clean does not mean uncooked. raw means uncooked.

and cutting out processed foods means pre-packaged, manufactured foods. making a salad is still eating unprocessed clean food. and if you'd like to argue it isn't then go ahead, but you're just being absurd and argumentative for argument's sake if you do.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

and cutting out processed foods means pre-packaged, manufactured foods. making a salad is still eating unprocessed clean food. and if you'd like to argue it isn't then go ahead, but you're just being absurd and argumentative for argument's sake if you do.

Coach Reddy, all he means is that claiming to eat 'clean' or 'unprocessed' foods is a bit of misnomer. And it is. The word 'clean' is not being used in its appropriate context, and any action taken to prepare food for consumption, in any way, means that it has been 'processed'.

No need to get up in arms about symantics(sp?).
  • sheldonz42
    Options

Coach Reddy, all he means is that claiming to eat 'clean' or 'unprocessed' foods is a bit of misnomer. And it is. The word 'clean' is not being used in its appropriate context, and any action taken to prepare food for consumption, in any way, means that it has been 'processed'.

^lots of this. And I don't mean to be argumentative. Like I said, just sooo frustrated and tired of the hype and junk "science."
  • CoachReddy
    Options

what word would you like me to use for my salad if not unprocessed? since the IIFYM crowd seems to get the last word on what is and isn't acceptable terminology, tell me what to say so as not to ruffle your delicate sensibilities...
  • jonnythan
    Options

just me though.

You said the less processed the better.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    Quaker Oats with chocolate protein powder mmmm!!

yesss! i get the big canister of plain quick oats and mix in choc protein powder, sometimes pb2 with it. delsih!

but yes like others have posted, unless you live in amish country or eating right off the land, most foods are processed to an extent. as far as the oatmeal though, i think it tastes better if you use plain oats and add in real fruit instead
  • jonnythan
    Options

what word would you like me to use for my salad if not unprocessed? since the IIFYM crowd seems to get the last word on what is and isn't acceptable terminology, tell me what to say so as not to ruffle your delicate sensibilities...

I think "salad" is a fine word already. If you want to be more specific about your salad, you can describe or name the ingredients.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options

just me though.

you can be obese and still eat whole foods. if you eat a crapload of them then there is still weight gain from it. you can be in a healthy weight range and eat a bunch of crap. just depends how much you are taking in
  • jonnythan
    Options

OK just checked your diary.

Your salad includes the following processed foods:

Commercial olive oil and vinegar dressing, which includes olive oil, vegetable oil, red wine vinegar, spices
    Cheese

Highly processed foods.

So your salad is unprocessed? Sure, until you put cheese and dressing on it.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Commercial olive oil and vinegar dressing, which includes olive oil, vegetable oil, red wine vinegar, spices
    Cheese

Highly processed foods.

haha fair enough. obviously i agree with you on those particular ingredients. but the cutting of veggies does not make them processed - do we agree there?
  • jonnythan
    Options

Cheese

Highly processed foods.

haha fair enough. obviously i agree with you on those particular ingredients. but the cutting of veggies does not make them processed - do we agree there?

No, I don't think "slicing" is a form of processing.

But you need to back off on the "less processing means it's better nutritionally" nonsense.

You clearly think that some processing is just fine, especially for certain foods.